Thief Reboot (coming 2014)

Preloading now :)

Not too worried about the early review. It sounds like a console version was played. So the poorer graphics are expected IMHO. AI has always been an issue in all games and I am expecting it to be extremely stupid in some areas and godlike in others. I am sure I am not the only one that has run into AIs that in one minute couldn't find me if I turned a corner, then others that even if all of you were behind a wall as you peeked around the corner they could see you from hundreds of yards away.

The only thing that might be troubling is the linear comments. Maybe I am not remembering the old games right, but they were all linear, but what set them apart was it was very open in the sense that you could accomplish the missions in whatever way you saw fit. So an open small area to a very linear story. That is what I am expecting. In other words, I don't want a repeat of the initial Deus Ex HR release where I am playing stealthy no one has seen me and then all of a sudden I can't do anything but kill the boss at the end of the level and set all the alarms off.

Preloading now :)

Not too worried about the early review. It sounds like a console version was played. So the poorer graphics are expected IMHO. AI has always been an issue in all games and I am expecting it to be extremely stupid in some areas and godlike in others. I am sure I am not the only one that has run into AIs that in one minute couldn't find me if I turned a corner, then others that even if all of you were behind a wall as you peeked around the corner they could see you from hundreds of yards away.

The only thing that might be troubling is the linear comments. Maybe I am not remembering the old games right, but they were all linear, but what set them apart was it was very open in the sense that you could accomplish the missions in whatever way you saw fit. So an open small area to a very linear story. That is what I am expecting. In other words, I don't want a repeat of the initial Deus Ex HR release where I am playing stealthy no one has seen me and then all of a sudden I can't do anything but kill the boss at the end of the level and set all the alarms off.

Apparently there is some forced kill moments in the prolog/tutorial section but beyond that the game can be played without killing anyone. In fact there is a setting you can enable where if you kill anyone the mission automatically fails.

why is this game getting almost zero press?...a few days from release and you'd be hard pressed to know it's even coming out...for such a AAA franchise this release seems sad...almost like no one cares...the early reviews seem terrible as well

why is this game getting almost zero press?...a few days from release and you'd be hard pressed to know it's even coming out...for such a AAA franchise this release seems sad...almost like no one cares...the early reviews seem terrible as well

There is some press on it, but after the long and troubled development (I believe it started development around the same time as Dues Ex: HR) Square Enix just seems to be sending it out to die.

There is some press on it, but after the long and troubled development (I believe it started development around the same time as Dues Ex: HR) Square Enix just seems to be sending it out to die.

Have a feeling this is going to bomb...[H]ard. SE published titles drop in $ relatively quick, I'll wait to goes underneath $10 and has been patched adequately.

Have a feeling this is going to bomb...[H]ard. SE published titles drop in $ relatively quick, I'll wait to goes underneath $10 and has been patched adequately.

It might do decently on the current gen consoles, simply by virtue of there being nothing else to play on them but yeah I just don't see this game selling well, and definitely not enough to break even on development costs.

SE published titles drop in $ relatively quick, I'll wait to goes underneath $10 and has been patched adequately.

Yeah, I've noticed that...seems like if you wait a couple weeks you can get the games for $20 or less.

People over at the Thief forums caught that Gamefaqs (accidentally?) posted Gamespot's review early: 6/10 -- and Gamespot is normally rather generous in their reviews i.e anything below a 7 is not worth touching.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=141493&page=8

I'd be cancelling those preorders toute suite... Combined with early impressions and now this review indicates we're looking at a stinker and another beloved IP trodden on.

Last edited:
I'm still remaining hopeful. A lot of the negativity is stemming from live-streamed play throughs where people were intentionally play the game like retards because they went into it expecting it to be horrible (old Thief fans hating on any idea of a 'reboot'), resulting in the game looking bad just because they're doing stupid shit. Like whacking an alerted guard repeatedly with the blackjack.. Of course that's going to look dumb, because you're playing dumb. You could do EXACTLY the same thing in the original Thief games.

Anyway, I still believe the game might be better than some of the super negative forum users say. There are some users, largely from TTLG (the old Looking Glass Studios community forum) who are actually going around to various other forums like the official Eidos ones and repeatedly bashing the game hardcore, which IMO is asinine and serves no helpful purpose.

Pre-loading on steam now... I'm still hoping this will turn out good. On the up side, I got it for free... so it's not as if I'm out much if it's crap.

People over at the Thief forums caught that Gamefaqs (accidentally?) posted Gamespot's review early: 6/10 -- and Gamespot is normally rather generous in their reviews i.e anything below a 7 is not worth touching.

I'd be cancelling those preorders toute suite... Combined with early impressions and now this review indicates we're looking at a stinker and another beloved IP trodden on.

People have been streaming the PS4 version on Twitch as well. Like this guy playing right now

http://twitch.tv/sedko0o

So same score they gave Bioshock Infinity

http://www.twitch.tv/shamwowzaman/c/3760757

Looks pretty sweet compared to the first game =) In a day of age where fast twitch muscle spasm seizure induced games rule...

When I played the 1st on like 14 years ago I didn't know wtf I was doing just that the game was really really dark on my CRT...

If anyone has a amd code with thief available on it that they want to sell, pm me with a price.

and Gamespot is normally rather generous in their reviews i.e anything below a 7 is not worth touching.

You let someones OPINION decide for you????????

There is plenty of gameplay videos on Youtube. Watch some and make up your own mind.

This is why reviews are retarded..

You let someones OPINION decide for you????????

There is plenty of gameplay videos on Youtube. Watch some and make up your own mind.

This is why reviews are retarded..

Reviews can be a good resource. The problem with reviews though is that you need to understand the tastes and general views of the reviewer to fully understand what they're writing. You also need to fully read the review and do some analyzing of not just the words used, but the tone of them.

Reviews can be a good resource. The problem with reviews though is that you need to understand the tastes and general views of the reviewer to fully understand what they're writing. You also need to fully read the review and do some analyzing of not just the words used, but the tone of them.

And also know which dev / publishers have them in their pocket. Angry Joe is Microsoft's puppy for example, so expect overly glowing reviews for their games from him.

Exactly. You need to research a reviewer to see if what you like is what they like. After some years of following them as you would an author such as Stephen King, then you trust them enough to make spur of the moment decisions based on what they say. Even then the best reviewers quantify their feelings in context to the subject matter.

So if they hate Guild Wars 2 graphic style then they need to be able to relate that while the graphics are top notch quality, the style just doesn't appeal to them and reasons why. Finding someone that is willing to blurt out more than "I don't like it." is hard as hell these days.

Take me for example. I hated Bioshock Infinite's beginning so much that I never played the game over 30 minutes. There were very few reviewers that didn't think it was the goose that laid golden eggs, The second coming of Christ. Ever person is different. Can't just see 9/10 and think it's a fine game. You need to see it in action on Twitch or Youtube to make a determination. Save a ton of money that way!

Just my opinion. :)

I'm expecting something around 7.5/10 thereabouts on my own personal scale. We'll see.

I watched some gameplay and most of what I've seen are people being dumb and clueless. Despite that, it still looks fun. I'm very tempted to drop a preorder right now... I totally forgot about this game till just now. Gonna have to sleep on it.

And also know which dev / publishers have them in their pocket. Angry Joe is Microsoft's puppy for example, so expect overly glowing reviews for their games from him.

You know, I like Angry Joe, but you're totally right...I couldn't really put my finger on it until you said that, but he does seem to have a huge boner for MS/Xbox.

They are not a good resource. The guy said he wouldnt touch it with a low score based on someones OPINION. Watch user videos or some of a full playthough and decide yourself.

I stand strong at reviews are useless and misleading. No one is a better reviewer for YOU other then... Yourself.

Some of the early "official" reviews are disparate, to say the least. I think when the dust settles, one of the side benefits of this game will be demonstrating unambiguously which "reviewers" are paid schills.

Neoseeker: 9/10

"Thief is undoubtedly the best stealth game I have played in a long time"

SB

"A disaster the likes of which we could not fathom"

Edit: again, let's keep a running tally on reviews so we can see who was paid.

Last edited:
RPS has a a review up:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/24/thief-review/#more-191233

Some will be furious about one aspect or other, and they will be loud about it on the internet. The context sensitive jump/climb/swoop button is going to be the launch pad that fires a lot of people out of the game in abject fury. But the truth is, I’ve had a fantastic time playing it. For where it falls short, it far more often had me crouched in a shadow, heart racing, waiting for the perfect moment to dart past a guard’s routine. It may be the fourth best Thief game, but it’s a damned fine game in its own rights.

These bear repeating so these publication can be buried:

Neoseeker: 9/10

PlayMania: 9/10

Mainstream reviewers don't love it. Therefore. I can see it being my Game of the Year.

Yeah typical reviews are bull**** anyway. It's like listening for music review, if it's not some kind of underground s*** it's crappy.

I remember this Xmas, a reviewer gave a WORST GAME OF THE YEAR to DAYZ..i mean FOR REAL.. This game is way less bugged than BF4 and i play both extensively.

I'am not a hardcore gamer myself, i dislike game that are tried to be hard just because they have flaws in them or just for the sake of it. Maybe if i was still in college that would appeal to me but i'am not.

Maybe it will be crap, who know i've preordered it for cheap so we'll know tomorrow..

You know, I like Angry Joe, but you're totally right...I couldn't really put my finger on it until you said that, but he does seem to have a huge boner for MS/Xbox.

Oh god please, please take that back...that guy is nothing more that a blithering idiot with a huge false sense of entitlement who is convinced that Youtube owes him a career because he quit his job/school/whatever to make videos. I can't stand him.

I honestly don't mind what people are complaining about. I hate when games have 500 keys when 5 would work just as well.

Back