Thief Reboot (coming 2014)

I have no problems recommending this game at the $15 I saw it at.

Bump. It's down to $15 on Steam sale this weekend.

Trying to decide if I want to bite or hold out for even cheaper. I liked the first 2 Thief games, and liked Dishonored recently. I'm also generally a fan of open-world games... how bad could this one be?

It was a no-brainer for me. Not at full MSRP mind you, but come on...it's a Thief game. Maybe it's not the best of the series or everything we hoped it'd be, but at a price point of $20 or less I don't think I'll be feeling too bad about the purchase. I think it's just another game that didn't live up to the extreme hype of a beloved franchise, but is pretty good if we can lower our expectations a bit.

It was a no-brainer for me. Not at full MSRP mind you, but come on...it's a Thief game. Maybe it's not the best of the series or everything we hoped it'd be, but at a price point of $20 or less I don't think I'll be feeling too bad about the purchase. I think it's just another game that didn't live up to the extreme hype of a beloved franchise, but is pretty good if we can lower our expectations a bit.

It does Thief very well in a lot of ways especially if you max out the difficulty and turn off any and all assistance/hand holding options.

My god, this game has got to have the worst audio I have ever heard... In the first in-game cutscene of the game I could not hear the female thief talking, even though she was 5 feet in front of me. It's almost as if the sound occlusion is purely directional without checking if there is a wall between you. Using a Soundblaster Z, and it's just as bad with the "Convolution" option disabled or turned to software. Is it any better in hardware with AMD's Trueaudio? Hoping for an OpenAL wrapper for discrete sound cards at some point.

My god, this game has got to have the worst audio I have ever heard... In the first in-game cutscene of the game I could not hear the female thief talking, even though she was 5 feet in front of me. It's almost as if the sound occlusion is purely directional without checking if there is a wall between you. Using a Soundblaster Z, and it's just as bad with the "Convolution" option disabled or turned to software. Is it any better in hardware with AMD's Trueaudio? Hoping for an OpenAL wrapper for discrete sound cards at some point.

It's a shame they've never fixed some of those audio glitches. It's not your hardware. It's the game itself.

And on the other hand, if someone is talking anywhere in the building that you're in it'll sound like they're right next to you. Even if they're two floors down in a basement.

Wow - glad I didn't go for this one yet. Bad levels on dialog audio is a big pet-peve of mine as well.

I'm going to wait and see if this goes for $10 in the upcoming summer sale, otherwise I may wait for xmas.

Wow - glad I didn't go for this one yet. Bad levels on dialog audio is a big pet-peve of mine as well.

I'm going to wait and see if this goes for $10 in the upcoming summer sale, otherwise I may wait for xmas.
Yeah, mine too. To make it worse is when Garrett is "whispering" his voice is like two times louder than anything else... I'm actually interested in playing through this one, too. Ignoring these audio issues, it's one of the few games in awhile that captured my attention in the first ~20 minutes.

I've tried, but I don't like this game. They should have named it "Petty Thief" rather than thief, you spend more time stealing pens and scissors worth a pittance than you do stealing anything remotely exciting. And the story line, there is nothing to make me care one bit about any of the characters or any of the tasks.

And it's tedious! Hold E to force the window lock, spam E to raise the window. Time to leave the room you say? Hold E to force the lock AGAIN, and spam E to raise the window AGAIN. /Enter a room, hit E to search through drawer after drawer just to find meaningless trinkets. Nothing there makes me feel like a bad ass thief.

The level sets are pretty cool, well executed, but the entire game is dreary with virtually no color. It's borderline depressing, if a game could be depressing.

I played Wolfenstein, then I played through Dishonored, this game couldn't carry their piss bucket.

This is my current favorite single player game on my PC right now I'm on Chapter 4. Chapter 3 Dirty little secrets is short of Amazing +) You guys need to play this with a PS4 or X-BOX one controller you can sneak round better with the analog sticks it's way more fun with a controller. Unless you forget the X-box mapping on the PS4 controller =)

You might need a walkthrough for some parts if you get stuck like I couldn't figure out how to bring up the map and one puzzle but I figures out the Ladders secret in Dirty little secrets myself which I'm proud of.
I got the game Cheap though wait for a sale again game has a big fan following.

If you never played the original I could see why people are pissed off about it. The original was really really hard.

Take this,

IMG_93612-1_zpse15cb929.jpg

And proceed to run it in the ground so hard no one wants to pay 50 or 60 dollars for something good anymore.

People are too scared of being taken for a cheap ride.

The first Thief game still holds up, gameplay wise.

no LOLBRO game

Computers/Computer games were supposed to be more adult oriented, never LOLBRO... more expensive and more complicated than that but its not just these two things.

Kick off the Windows, Mac, Linux PC game era and tackle the crap out of the youngsters.

Last edited:
They should have named it "Petty Thief" rather than thief, you spend more time stealing pens and scissors worth a pittance than you do stealing anything remotely exciting.
No wonder all my scissors end up going missing.

Back