They really all came crawlin' back to Steam, didn't they?

I don't care who ultimately dominates as long as I don't have to load 27 launchers every time I want to play a game. I'm sick of launchers.
Same. I couldn't believe when I bought GTA 5 that I had to fucking download a Rockstar launcher. I deleted it and never looked back and just played GTA 5 on console.

Same. I couldn't believe when I bought GTA 5 that I had to fucking download a Rockstar launcher. I deleted it and never looked back and just played GTA 5 on console.
Literally why I haven't purchased ME: Legendary Edition.
There is no point in them selling it on Steam if it requires Origin to launch.

Literally why I haven't purchased ME: Legendary Edition.
There is no point in them selling it on Steam if it requires Origin to launch.
ME: Legendary Edition is free for PlayStation Plus Members this month. Was pretty stoked to see that. Started playing it over the weekend.

View attachment 534782

Your loss.

New free games every week, Usually 2 per week, right now 1 every day because of Christmas.

I probably bought 5 games total. Spent thousands of hours playing games I didn't pay for, basically unlimited backlog.
The few games I did buy the process went flawlessly and I got them for cheap because of the special coupon promotions.
How many of the "free" epic games have you actually played?? 338 but for installed it shows 29 lol.

I do the exact same thing. It's mostly indie games I would never see or pay for in the first place. I do it to support those developers, but haven't ever installed any of them. There was one that came thru recently "Two Brothers" I think it was, an adventure game, that I would like to try. But the majority of the free games are games I will never play. There have been some good ones come thru. Battlefront II is good, but I had basically already beaten that games' multiplayer by the time it was free. I'm sure some people get some good use out of some of the free games. But I suspect this is the minority.

And for those who haven't bothered or installed the Epic launcher 'late', don't worry. The free games is 1 every 2 weeks, except for Christmas, right now it's 1 free per day. But a lot of these get recycled. 80% of the time I click on the current free game and see "In Library". If you come into the Epic launcher recently, you will catch up and get most of these games free at some point. I do it so that some of the Fortnite money trickles down to those indie dev's.

I can't say there has been ANY game I had to have that was on Epic only. The ONE damn game I bought on Epic, Crysis Remastered, has a bug in the keyboard re-mapping. and I cannot remap the F key. Even tho it shows remapped, it still does "Exit vehicle", so the game played ok right up until I needed to get into a tank, and then boom I just exit the damn vehicle and cannot drive it... you cannot manually edit the file, it's not plain text. Support case to Crytek took months to get a response, and they had no solution or fix. And copying over the configured and good cfg file from my old Crysis install didn't work either. So that was a wasted $60 because by the time I was done dicking with Crytek support it was too late to get a refund, and I had more than 2 hours of playtime...

Buy it on Origin and you want have launcher inception. I own it on Origin.
Part of what we're discussing in here is our precise lack of desire to install a bunch of other platforms.

I will never install Origin, or Ubiplay, or whatever. Saying "buy it on Origin" is missing the point. Just like EA "releasing something on Steam" then requiring Origin is also missing the point. If that's the method, which it is either directly or indirectly, then EA should have the balls to maintain their Origin exclusivity for all their titles like they did for years and not this BS half-measure.

If anything this tells me that they specifically care MORE about telemetry than they do about losing 30% through Steam. And no, forget them. I can just not bother with their titles. They haven't made a game relevant for me in basically a decade at this point anyway.

If anything this tells me that they specifically care MORE about telemetry than they do about losing 30% through Steam.
having someone exposed to your fully controlled online store value must be 10,000 times more valuable than any telemetry. How much EA can gain pass the first 1,000 sample of people what machine they have, what game they play, etc....

Part of what we're discussing in here is our precise lack of desire to install a bunch of other platforms.

I will never install Origin, or Ubiplay, or whatever. Saying "buy it on Origin" is missing the point. Just like EA "releasing something on Steam" then requiring Origin is also missing the point. If that's the method, which it is either directly or indirectly, then EA should have the balls to maintain their Origin exclusivity for all their titles like they did for years and not this BS half-measure.

If anything this tells me that they specifically care MORE about telemetry than they do about losing 30% through Steam. And no, forget them. I can just not bother with their titles. They haven't made a game relevant for me in basically a decade at this point anyway.
If it makes you feel any better EA started only including the Origin/EA Play authentication process running in the background on their Steam releases after ME:LE came out. You won't see the Origin or EA Play client anymore when you play a newer EA game on Steam.

Not free, free to play, huge difference.

Free to play games should be illegal, they use the tactics of drug dealers of old, give sample for free, then lock the patient into a massive ripoff cycle.

And so should paid games using the free to play model. Which is most modern multiplayer games and even some single player games.

I've seen a few games like War Thunder that look interesting, but I can't dedicate my whole life doing boring stuff just to use the handful of tanks I actually want to use. I'd pay $60 for a good tank game that I could just hop on and play.

having someone exposed to your fully controlled online store value must be 10,000 times more valuable than any telemetry. How much EA can gain pass the first 1,000 sample of people what machine they have, what game they play, etc....
Whatever the reason, don't care. They get a big nope.
If it makes you feel any better EA started only including the Origin/EA Play authentication process running in the background on their Steam releases after ME:LE came out. You won't see the Origin or EA Play client anymore when you play a newer EA game on Steam.
Again, don't care. Getting it on my preferred platform is half the battle, the other half is not doing stupid garbage apparently. Either way, I'm voting with my wallet.

I can't say there has been ANY game I had to have that was on Epic only. The ONE damn game I bought on Epic, Crysis Remastered, has a bug in the keyboard re-mapping. and I cannot remap the F key. Even tho it shows remapped, it still does "Exit vehicle", so the game played ok right up until I needed to get into a tank, and then boom I just exit the damn vehicle and cannot drive it... you cannot manually edit the file, it's not plain text. Support case to Crytek took months to get a response, and they had no solution or fix. And copying over the configured and good cfg file from my old Crysis install didn't work either. So that was a wasted $60 because by the time I was done dicking with Crytek support it was too late to get a refund, and I had more than 2 hours of playtime...

Crysis remastered also removed quick and manual saving. Not sure if they re-added it. Absolute shame. Performance was still awful too. Did it look better? Yes of course, but still dated. A bad remaster overall.

Last edited:
Crysis has always had it's own weird way of using keyboard input and it has always been obnoxious. It has nothing to do with where you bought it.

It's sort of like "use raw input" that is common for mouse settings where it completely bypasses the OS to grab the raw mouse data.
But they do that for the keyboard. And it ignores localization settings, possible remappings you did through the OS and other software.
They though they were being clever but it's dumb AF. And I think there are some things in the game using this "raw input" from the keyboard, but others are getting input from the proper layer so it's buggy if you try to rebind things.

I don't do anything weird other then intercept the windows key so I don't tab out by accident. I don't use WASD, and probably anyone who doesn't is not going to have a good time with crysis remastered.

They took a great PC game, console converted it, made some graphics improvements, then ported it back to PC. Shouldn't be a big deal but yeah, saves is gone, you only get checkpoints at the end of 'levels' - first clue it's a console port. But they couldn't even be bothered to get the gui working properly... pretty inecusable... If I ever try to play Crysis again it will be my original install with modded texture upgrades over the remastered ripoff.

Crysis has always had it's own weird way of using keyboard input and it has always been obnoxious. It has nothing to do with where you bought it.

It's sort of like "use raw input" that is common for mouse settings where it completely bypasses the OS to grab the raw mouse data.
But they do that for the keyboard. And it ignores localization settings, possible remappings you did through the OS and other software.
They though they were being clever but it's dumb AF. And I think there are some things in the game using this "raw input" from the keyboard, but others are getting input from the proper layer so it's buggy if you try to rebind things.
The original game allowed you to remap everything. The "remastered" version has consolitis and won't allow you to remap certain actions. It's not "buggy," it was done on purpose.
I don't do anything weird other then intercept the windows key so I don't tab out by accident. I don't use WASD, and probably anyone who doesn't is not going to have a good time with crysis remastered.

They took a great PC game, console converted it, made some graphics improvements, then ported it back to PC. Shouldn't be a big deal but yeah, saves is gone, you only get checkpoints at the end of 'levels' - first clue it's a console port. But they couldn't even be bothered to get the gui working properly... pretty inecusable... If I ever try to play Crysis again it will be my original install with modded texture upgrades over the remastered ripoff.
They used the console version of the original game as a base for the remastered version instead of the PC version. That is why there were initially missions missing and other things like not being able to toggle your suit powers anymore.

I like Crysis Warhead better than Crysis 1, runs better engine wise but they lost the code

Crysis remastered is eh, looks nice so I like it but as stated feels console-ized

Couldn't even finish Crysis 2 so boring and repetitive

Shame cause they used to be staunch PC advocates

Edit: the EA launcher now with Jedi Fallen Order on Steam is still there, but seamless just like a couple of splash screens you see and that's it, really no reason to be bothered by something like that IMO

Last edited:
yeah, and also the worst part of pre-steam PC gaming: storing your disc somewhere, and waiting for the same ancient install to finish ten years later...and finding all the patches again, and restarting the game from the beginning!
Back then I cracked my games, so no need to find a disc somewhere. Patching games can be a problem as much as a benefit, as some games take away features or fix bugs in a game that people kinda wanted. When I came back to play Dark Souls 2 I was giving an extra final boss that I didn't see before, which was an advertisement for their DLC. I want my Dark Souls 2 without the DLC advertisement. Also if you haven't played the game for a while, as in years, then its a good idea to restart from the beginning. This is what GoG is today, it's just a file and not a disc now.

yeah, and also the worst part of pre-steam PC gaming: storing your disc somewhere, and waiting for the same ancient install to finish ten years later...and finding all the patches again, and restarting the game from the beginning!
Typically by then you just had to get 1 patch which applied all the previous. I honestly did not have a problem patching most games, there were outliers like BF2. Good lord did they screw that up.

Typically by then you just had to get 1 patch which applied all the previous. I honestly did not have a problem patching most games, there were outliers like BF2. Good lord did they screw that up.

Reminds me of when I decided to play Smite after not playing for about 2 years. I opened the launcher and it sequentially downloaded and installed every single patch over the past 2 years. After about an hour of waiting it was still downloading and installing patches. I canceled it and uninstalled. Redownloaded and installed the entire game fresh and it only took about 5 minutes.

I bought a 16TB HDD some years back, installed literally all my games (~365) there, and just repoint Steam to that install folder in-between reinstalls. Steam keeps everything auto-updated.

I bought a 16TB HDD some years back, installed literally all my games (~365) there, and just repoint Steam to that install folder in-between reinstalls. Steam keeps everything auto-updated.
But you're going to miss out on Direct Storage!

I don't disagree, Steam is the King. But Epic isn't so bad and they give away decent free games. Steam gives away nothing.

Now the Rockstar and the Ubisoft launchers.... those should be classified as war crimes.

I don't disagree, Steam is the King. But Epic isn't so bad and they give away decent free games. Steam gives away nothing.

Now the Rockstar and the Ubisoft launchers.... those should be classified as war crimes.

Steam itself gives away nothing, but devs/publishers can (and do) give their games away for free on Steam. Sega does often, I know I got Injustice for free off the top of my head. And I mean you go to the store page and it had a price of free, not like getting a key or gift or something. You just won't get cards dropped for games you get for free, even if the game has cards 😥 Also mean AAA titles. But obviously not as newer ones as EPIC cause it's literally marketing stunt with them.

Steam itself gives away nothing, but devs/publishers can (and do) give their games away for free on Steam. Sega does often, I know I got Injustice for free off the top of my head. And I mean you go to the store page and it had a price of free, not like getting a key or gift or something. You just won't get cards dropped for games you get for free, even if the game has cards 😥 Also mean AAA titles. But obviously not as newer ones as EPIC cause it's literally marketing stunt with them.
If Fortnight crackheads wanna fund the free games that pop up from time to time that are worth playing then power to them.

Yeah the developers always set prices. Epic pays the developers to give their games away for free. But that seems to be running out of steam, no pun intended. A lot of their recent giveaways are repeats.

yeah but Crysis was pirated so badly it only landed in the top selling PC games of all time so how could you expect them to continue supporting the platform in a meaningful way
Crysis sold well but pirated well, so therefore Crytek hates supporting PC? Pirates are going to pirate, and popular games are also popular to pirate. Consoles haven't been immune to piracy since forever. Ask Nintendo how PC gamers are playing new Switch games on day 1 of release? Ask PS4 owners how excited they are when a newer firmware has been hacked? PS5 isn't immune to this either. Also Crysis wasn't a good game. Great graphics but who here has a memorable moment from that game? I haven't touched that game since 2007 and I have no plans to do so ever again because I can't remember enjoying anything in that game. Mass Effect series, sure. Dead Space 1 & 2, definitely. Fallout New Vegas, any day of the week. All I can remember from Crysis was that the armor sounds cool when you switch modes. Crysis was just Crytek showing off their graphics tech and that's about it. The only legacy Cyrsis left behind was the meme, "but can it run Crysis". It's another one of those games I will never touch again, like Unreal 4. Graphics aren't everything, make sure you have good gameplay first. An opinion that many people definitely won't agree with me.

Back