They need this guys music in a game

charold

Limp Gawd
Unseen by Adam Hurst

I have bought 4 of his albums, and they're all wonderfully different and really do a great job of transporting you somewhere. Very atmospheric. He could create some truly amazing masterpieces for deep games. More of his work on the right :)

Sounds like it could have made it into Uncharted 3 or Metal Gear Solid 4

Music is subjective. I'd rather have Vince DiCola make a videogame soundtrack than hear this guy or any other boring orchestra score like we have in 99% of games and television and movies these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV4LDCgWMdI

Wow, that was terrible (the music, not the video. that shit was hilarious). I'm guessing your favorite movie is Top Gun?

Wow, that was terrible (the music, not the video. that shit was hilarious). I'm guessing your favorite movie is Top Gun?

Again, music is subjective and that was from the soundtrack to Rocky IV in 1986. Top Gun is awesome too. I probably think everything you listen to is awful.

Music is subjective. I'd rather have Vince DiCola make a videogame soundtrack than hear this guy or any other boring orchestra score like we have in 99% of games and television and movies these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV4LDCgWMdI

Listen to Jeremy Soule and get back to me on that orchestra comment. Or Jesper Kyd who mixes it all up. Or Jerry Goldsmith (RIP, damn it.) Or Basil Poledouris (RIP, damn it). Or John Williams. Or James Horner. Or Hans Zimmer. See where I'm going with this?

I like Vince's stuff, too, but he's disappeared.

Again, music is subjective and that was from the soundtrack to Rocky IV in 1986. Top Gun is awesome too. I probably think everything you listen to is awful.

No he was right. That soundtrack was awful. Rather have "generic" orchestra than full on cheese. :D

No he was right. That soundtrack was awful. Rather have "generic" orchestra than full on cheese. :D

Me, too.

Vince DiCola and especially Harold Faltermeyer (Top Gun, Beverly Hills Cop, etc. etc.) were big in the 80s and basically preceded and set the groundwork for Hans Zimmer who came in big starting around 1990 and took off from there. One Zimmer moved in that pretty much was the end for those guys.

I hate to say it since some of their music is nostalgic and all but that stuff's horribly dated now to listen to for me. I can't do it.

Didn't Vince DiCola also do the theme song for the original Transformers movie? Awesome movie and soundtrack by the way.

Off topic: I still like to pull up this video from time to time when I'm feeling nostalgic:

Spectre General - Hunger

Listen to Jeremy Soule and get back to me on that orchestra comment. Or Jesper Kyd who mixes it all up. Or Jerry Goldsmith (RIP, damn it.) Or Basil Poledouris (RIP, damn it). Or John Williams. Or James Horner. Or Hans Zimmer. See where I'm going with this?

I like Vince's stuff, too, but he's disappeared.

I'm with you on Basil Poledouris and Hans Zimmer but I am more of a fan of their 80s-mid 90s work (my favorite Zimmer films are Black Rain and Regarding Henry) that are heavier on synthesizers, non-traditional instruments etc. Horner was great in Wrath of Khan and Aliens but has gone a bit blaise lately, ie: Avatar. Didn't like Zimmer's Batman Begins or Modern Warfare 2 (worse thing he has ever done). Not a fan of modern Zimmer at all. I also like Brad Fiedel too but yeah, he's disappeared too because that music is not in vogue anymore. Vogue does not necessarily mean good. For me, it's a bit sad because most things I like are not popular anymore, just like Wing Commander is my favorite game of all time but space sims are not in vogue anymore.

I am a classical and jazz pianist myself (actually just bought a Cello lately for fun) but I'm just a guy who doesn't like traditional orchestras ...this is mainly because of overuse and dominance in industry. Whatever happened to guys like Vangelis (Blace Runner is my favorite soundtrack of all time) or movies like Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence which was WWII movie about a Japanese concentration camp starring David Bowie and Takeshi Kitano w/ a synth soundtrack by Ryuichi Sakamoto?

My most hated composer of all time is Murray Gold who does the current Doctor Who. He makes what was once a sci-fi with eerie early 60s/70s electronic sounds or a very subdued score (more of a classic horror/suspense sound with discordant strings and heavy horns) for decades into a swashbuckling disney cartoon soundtrack.

Maybe I'm just extra picky as a hobbyist musician/composer myself rather than just a generic fan but no one is right or wrong on music. Music is subjective. I just hate traditional generic orchestra scores because everything uses them and I find that horribly boring. Give me some jazz, an 80s cheesy synth soundtrack, heavy metal, ethnic music, etc. Anything for some variety. A Knight's Tale is one of the only semi-modern examples I can think of that eschewed a generic orchestra for an anachronistic rock score (despite the fact that 19th century orchestras would not even have existed in the dark ages). The only thing I hate more than generic orchestra scores are overuse of opera choirs and slow motion action sequences. If I hear that, I just turn off the TV, computer, leave the theatre, etc.

Last edited:
I'm with you on Basil Poledouris and Hans Zimmer but I am more of a fan of their 80s-mid 90s work (my favorite Zimmer films are Black Rain and Regarding Henry) that are heavier on synthesizers, non-traditional instruments etc. Horner was great in Wrath of Khan and Aliens but has gone a bit blaise lately, ie: Avatar. Didn't like Zimmer's Batman Begins or Modern Warfare 2 (worse thing he has ever done). Not a fan of modern Zimmer at all.

I more or less am with you here. For me the 80s decade really saw some insanely awesome music that hasn't been equalled or topped since.

I also like Brad Fiedel too but yeah, he's disappeared too because that music is not in vogue anymore.

Brad Fiedel made music? News to me. ;)

Vogue does not necessarily mean good. For me, it's a bit sad because most things I like are not popular anymore, just like Wing Commander is my favorite game of all time but space sims are not in vogue anymore.

I am a classical and jazz pianist myself (actually just bought a Cello lately for fun) but I'm just a guy who doesn't like traditional orchestras ...this is mainly because of overuse and dominance in industry. Whatever happened to guys like Vangelis (Blace Runner is my favorite soundtrack of all time) or movies like Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence which was WWII movie about a Japanese concentration camp starring David Bowie and Takeshi Kitano w/ a synth soundtrack by Ryuichi Sakamoto?

My most hated composer of all time is Murray Gold who does the current Doctor Who. He makes what was once a sci-fi with eerie early 60s/70s electronic sounds or a very subdued score (more of a classic horror/suspense sound with discordant strings and heavy horns) for decades into a swashbuckling disney cartoon soundtrack.

Maybe I'm just extra picky as a hobbyist musician/composer myself rather than just a generic fan but no one is right or wrong on music. Music is subjective. I just hate traditional generic orchestra scores because everything uses them and I find that horribly boring. Give me some jazz, an 80s cheesy synth soundtrack, heavy metal, ethnic music, etc. Anything for some variety. A Knight's Tale is one of the only semi-modern examples I can think of that eschewed a generic orchestra for an anachronistic rock score (despite the fact that 19th century orchestras would not even have existed in the dark ages). The only thing I hate more than generic orchestra scores are overuse of opera choirs and slow motion action sequences. If I hear that, I just turn off the TV, computer, leave the theatre, etc.

I think you and I would have fun chatting about this sort of thing for hours. :)

Listened... pretty good, the two songs I heard were all basically lingering around one chord though, making it kinda boring to listen to... but it'd probably be good video game music for that reason, more atmospheric then anything else.

Ed Harrison needs to do more game soundtracks, Neotokyo ost is amazing.

Back