these new Bay TraiWin 8.1 tablets - can they run linux?

He didn't say that Linux will work fine with Bay Trail T:

While I can't guarantee the Linux hardware support or performance until getting my hands on some Bay Trail hardware in the months ahead, at this time it appears to be in pretty good shape if using the Linux 3.11 kernel or newer along with other parts of the updated stack: Mesa 9.2, the latest Clang and GCC, etc. When tablets and other Atom devices start arriving, there will be plenty more details and coverage on Phoronix of the exciting low-power SoC.

I imagine it can work, and you can install Windows from scratch on current Clover Trail devices, though I don't know how well it works for Linux today. But it's going to take some work to get Bay Trail T to work with Linux.

I wouldn't count on it. Hardware support will probably take a while to make it usable under Linux, and some hardware may not support other devices for much longer than that.

The best bet is probably to look at what boutique Linux system vendors have, or buy an ivy bridge or haswell based tablet with known Linux support.

It shouldn't be locked down, as one of the requirements for Secure Boot on Windows 8 x86 systems is that it can be user disabled from the bios.

Back