Thermolab (Cooltek) LP53 review

yes. any prime after 26.6 over works the avx instructions causing unrealistic over-working and over-heating of any cpu(usually due to voltage spike). the newest intel boards have a setting in bios called avx offset just for this reason. it allows you to set a lower clock and voltage when aggressive avx instructions are used then go back higher for everything else. so stick to 26.6 or use IBT or even a long loop of realbench. 75ish sounds fine btw.

edit: the avx offset is used during overclocking though. to back it down to a safe speed for the avx. thought I wasn't clear enough above...

Last edited:
yes. any prime after 26.6 over works the avx instructions causing unrealistic over-working and over-heating of any cpu(usually due to voltage spike). the newest intel boards have a setting in bios called avx offset just for this reason. it allows you to set a lower clock and voltage when aggressive avx instructions are used then go back higher for everything else. so stick to 26.6 or use IBT or even a long loop of realbench. 75ish sounds fine btw.

Thanks for clearing that up. I actually didn't pay attention to which prime 95 I was running. Probably the newest so that may explain my temps approaching 100C.

yup that would do it. if you search avx offset and my username(it will put you in the middle of things) youll find a few threads talking about it(edit: prime versions, avxc etc).
I personally think the avx offset, if you have it, is the way to go. whats wrong with a 5GHz OC that drops to 4.8 for avx if it saves your chip!? edit2: if youre using avx and ocing that is...

Last edited:
Ran Aida64 CPU stress test, open air for 10 minutes with the Cooltek LP53, 7700K @ stock, RAM @ 3000mhz, Noctua A9x14. Notes: fin orientation is perpendicular to RAM, which is sub-optimal but the only orientation that fits on the Asus Z270I Strix motherboard. On realtemp it looked to be hovering steadily in the 80-90c range with the Noctua fan at 1900 RPM. I'm not sure why the averages are so low in the below picture, eyeballing Realtemp readings during the whole test and they never were in the 60's. I'm not very familiar with test bench software. Like I said more like 80's.

I'll try to do a more scientific test once I have my Dan A4 case and can set things up more permanently than on a box on my desk. Sorry, I'm a bit of an amateur when it comes to testing.

Attachments

• stabilitytest.png
    stabilitytest.png
    71.9 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Ran Aida64 CPU stress test, open air for 10 minutes with the Cooltek LP53, 7700K @ stock, RAM @ 3000mhz, Noctua A9x14. Notes: fin orientation is perpendicular to RAM, which is sub-optimal but the only orientation that fits on the Asus Z270I Strix motherboard. On realtemp it looked to be hovering steadily in the 80-90c range with the Noctua fan at 1900 RPM. I'm not sure why the averages are so low in the below picture, eyeballing Realtemp readings during the whole test and they never were in the 60's. I'm not very familiar with test bench software. Like I said more like 80's.

I'll try to do a more scientific test once I have my Dan A4 case and can set things up more permanently than on a box on my desk. Sorry, I'm a bit of an amateur when it comes to testing.

That's unfortunate about having to mount it perpendicular to the ram. It makes a huge difference if both side of the fins can breathe. My RAM got really toasty too. Not ideal. I thought I'd have to do that too. But it tried turning it 90 degrees to be parallel and I craned and peered from every angle possible to make sure I wasn't putting any pressure in the cpu vrm's. Putting a really bright light opposite the board worked well. I could see the light peeking through between the vrm and fins. I had about 0.5-1mm clearance. You're totally sure it won't work?

I've heard the Skylake cpu substrate (pcb) is measurably thinner. Maybe that leads to the cooler being a fraction of a mm lower. It may be just enough to cause incompatibility with some coolers.

There is sadly an absurdly large VRM heatsink in front of the IO panel on my motherboard that leaves zero room for the heatpipes to stick out. In the other direction the RAM is in the way. I'd have to remove the VRM heatsink, which I can probably do as I do not really plan on OC'ing the CPU. However the temps I got earlier seem fine and in line with your AIDA test, so I'm going to fire up some games once I have it in the case and see if they rise dramatically. I expect some increase, I am setting the bar low and just hoping to stay under throttling temp really.

I got my LP53 on Friday and installed it today. I'm using a delidded 6700k with a slight undervolt and ran a 15 minute stress test with Aida64 with both my Cryorig C7 and the LP53 (both using the Cyrorig C7 fan at 100%). One thing to note is that with the Asus Z170i pro gaming (what a stupid name) you can only fit this cooler if the fins are perpendicular to the RAM which I can imagine harms the performance of the LP53 to some degree. I didn't have this problem with my C7. The C7 fan also didn't sit 100 flat on the cooler since the LP53 is a little wider than the C7 and the clips for the fan don't hang over the edge of the cooler.

With the C7 I had a maximum of 83 on the hottest core. The LP53 had a maximum of 75c on the hottest core. I'm pretty happy with these results since it means not only lower temperatures, but also less noise when I receive my Sentry. I plan on getting a slim 92mm or 120mm fan eventually for a more permanent solution at some point since the C7 fan isn't going to really work unless I remove the built in clips for it.

I got my LP53 on Friday and installed it today. I'm using a delidded 6700k with a slight undervolt and ran a 15 minute stress test with Aida64 with both my Cryorig C7 and the LP53 (both using the Cyrorig C7 fan at 100%). One thing to note is that with the Asus Z170i pro gaming (what a stupid name) you can only fit this cooler if the fins are perpendicular to the RAM which I can imagine harms the performance of the LP53 to some degree. I didn't have this problem with my C7. The C7 fan also didn't sit 100 flat on the cooler since the LP53 is a little wider than the C7 and the clips for the fan don't hang over the edge of the cooler.

With the C7 I had a maximum of 83 on the hottest core. The LP53 had a maximum of 75c on the hottest core. I'm pretty happy with these results since it means not only lower temperatures, but also less noise when I receive my Sentry. I plan on getting a slim 92mm or 120mm fan eventually for a more permanent solution at some point since the C7 fan isn't going to really work unless I remove the built in clips for it.

Great to hear other people have had success. For a slim fan I'd recommend the NF-a9x14 from Noctua. It can be purchased separately from the nh-l9i. It's a good, quiet slim fan.

I have that same 270i and would like to fit the LP53 on there.

Would you be so kind as to try some test situations for fitment? Like try removing the one DIMM nearest to the CPU and seeing if you could mount the LP53 with the curved end of the heatpipes facing the RAM? This would allow the fins to sit parallel to the RAM. Also, if you do test removing the VRM heatsink by the IO panel, would you please try and fit the LP53 with the heatpipe's curved ends towards the rear I/O panel?

Please let us know if it fits in any of those orientations and if the tips of the heatpipes on the other ends interfere with anything. There's lots of use with the z270i in Mini-ITX cases and we'd kill for a cooler than can outperform out beloved NH-L9i! Because hand-in-hand with a delid and a properly mounted LP53 and the Noctua NF-A9x14-PWM, we would be able to achive the absolutely lowest temps in the smallest cases. :D

Is there a consensus that fins parallel to RAM is the way to go, as opposed to heat pipes parallel to RAM?

My L9i is mounted with parallel fins, heat pipes running perpendicular, pointing out towards the I/O.

I've seen some posts showing heat pipes pointing up (parallel to RAM) has better results, at least for for larger coolers like the Nexus that have more heat pipes.

Is there a consensus that fins parallel to RAM is the way to go, as opposed to heat pipes parallel to RAM?

My L9i is mounted with parallel fins, heat pipes running perpendicular, pointing out towards the I/O.

I've seen some posts showing heat pipes pointing up (parallel to RAM) has better results, at least for for larger coolers like the Nexus that have more heat pipes.
Well I'm not sure under what circumstances it might be the consensus that Heatsink FINS parallel to ram is better or not... but, in VERY small form-factor cases where there's almost zero space (like my S4 Mini build), having the heatsink FINS pointed to the ram (perpendicular to the RAM) would make the hot air get stuck, raising CPU temps. And the Fins facing the RAM would just heat the ram instead of letting the hot air flow more freely away from the CPUs HSF, and out of the case.

Example: Look at my SFF build. NHL9i is used with the NF-A9x14-PWM. If the fins on the NH-L9i are parallel to the ram the hot air will flow more freely away from the CPU, where it can now flow over the z270i's chipset towards the PCIEx slot and out the case's side-panel vents, providing better airflow, minimizing heat getting trapped and minimizing heat soak on the CPU heatsink, thus providing better overall temps.

Pics of my z270i S4-mini build w/side panel off to show the cramped NHL9i on the mobo:

So, as you see... the NH-L9i is pretty much cramped on all 3 sides, but it's most cramped on the RAM side, since the VRM heatsinks are slotted and arent super long... This is why the NH-L9i fins parallel to the RAM is super crucial for me to attain the lowest temps is such an already-cramped build. Also, thats a 7700k under there, (i know lol). And with the S4-mini's side panel on @ stock clocks I get a fluctuating 46/47c at idle/desktop on the hottest core with NT-H1, & with the CPU-fan on the UEFI's "turbo" preset curve.

S4-mini side panel on:

And I do plan to delid, I have my Rockit 88 just waiting for the best pre-delid temps... so I'll hold-ff on my delid and buy the LP53 in hopes of the best temps for the best pre/post delid temp comparison.

So if illram can show the LP53 can fit on z270i with the fins parallel to the RAM, then I'll drop my NH-L9i and upgrade to the LP53 for good, all in the name of getting the best temps. :)

Last edited:
Well I'm not sure under what circumstances it might be the consensus that Heatsink FINS parallel to ram is better or not... but, in VERY small form-factor cases where there's almost zero space (like my S4 Mini build), having the heatsink FINS pointed to the ram (perpendicular to the RAM) would make the hot air get stuck, raising CPU temps. And the Fins facing the RAM would just heat the ram instead of letting the hot air flow more freely away from the CPUs HSF, and out of the case.

Example: Look at my SFF build. NHL9i is used with the NF-A9x14-PWM. If the fins on the NH-L9i are parallel to the ram the hot air will flow more freely away from the CPU, where it can now flow over the z270i's chipset towards the PCIEx slot and out the case's side-panel vents, providing better airflow, minimizing heat getting trapped and minimizing heat soak on the CPU heatsink, thus providing better overall temps.

Pics of my z270i S4-mini build w/side panel off to show the cramped NHL9i on the mobo:

So, as you see... the NH-L9i is pretty much cramped on all 3 sides, but it's most cramped on the RAM side, since the VRM heatsinks are slotted and arent super long... This is why the NH-L9i fins parallel to the RAM is super crucial for me to attain the lowest temps is such an already-cramped build. Also, thats a 7700k under there, (i know lol). And with the S4-mini's side panel on @ stock clocks I get a fluctuating 46/47c at idle/desktop on the hottest core with NT-H1, & with the CPU-fan on the UEFI's "turbo" preset curve.

S4-mini side panel on:

And I do plan to delid, I have my Rockit 88 just waiting for the best pre-delid temps... so I'll hold-ff on my delid and buy the LP53 in hopes of the best temps for the best pre/post delid temp comparison.

So if illram can show the LP53 can fit on z270i with the fins parallel to the RAM, then I'll drop my NH-L9i and upgrade to the LP53 for good, all in the name of getting the best temps. :)

Unfortunately I don't think the lp53 with a slim fan will even fit in the s4-mini. When using the Noctua slim NF-a9x14 on the LP53 it's about 5mm taller overall than the noctua cooler, so 42-43mm. The s4-mini is limited to 40mm coolers right? I just placed an order for an s4-mini, should have it in March. I can test it then.

Unfortunately I don't think the lp53 with a slim fan will even fit in the s4-mini. When using the Noctua slim NF-a9x14 on the LP53 it's about 5mm taller overall than the noctua cooler, so 42-43mm. The s4-mini is limited to 40mm coolers right?
Oh I know what you mean, I thought so too but I did the math on that in the S4 mini thread over on the SFF Forums.

Right now, I've got my S4-mini with me at work and I just re-measured how many MM of air gap I have between the top of the NF-A9x14 and the start of the side-panel, I've got 9mm of space. So with the LP53 and the NF-a9x14 I'd have 4mm of space, it's cutting it close but it should be enough of an air gap to allow for adequate airflow to the fan, and the superior heat dissipation/cooling performance of the LP53 should help offset the -5mm air gap loss from the NH-L9i being shorter.

Pics I just took...
from the top of the NH-L9i + NF-A9x14 to the start of my S4 mini's side-panel (9mm):

from the top of the base of the mobo to the S4 mini side-panel (52mm):

from the top of the base of the mobo to the S4 mini side panel (still 52mm) , BUT with the ruler next to the top of the NH-L9i + NF-A9x14 (seen as 42mm tall).

So i might have anywhere from 9-10mm of space with the NH-L9i, and maybe 4-5mm of an airgap with the LP53 + NF-A9x14 in my S4 mini.

What i'm worried about is if the Fins on the LP53 can be oriented properly, because the curved end of the heatpipes seem to stick out quite a bit and would interfere with the VRM heatsinks or the nearest DIMM. :D

Last edited:
Oh I know what you mean, I thought so too but I did the math on that in the S4 mini thread over on the SFF Forums.

Right now, I've got my S4-mini with me at work and I just re-measured how many MM of air gap I have between the top of the NF-A9x14 and the start of the side-panel, I've got 9mm of space. So with the LP53 and the NF-a9x14 I'd have 4mm of space, it's cutting it close but it should be enough of an air gap to allow for adequate airflow to the fan, and the superior heat dissipation/cooling performance of the LP53 should help offset the -5mm air gap loss from the NH-L9i being shorter.

Pics I just took...
from the top of the NH-L9i + NF-A9x14 to the start of my S4 mini's side-panel (9mm):

from the top of the base of the mobo to the S4 mini side-panel (52mm):

from the top of the base of the mobo to the S4 mini side panel (still 52mm) , BUT with the ruler next to the top of the NH-L9i + NF-A9x14 (seen as 42mm tall).

So i might have anywhere from 9-10mm of space with the NH-L9i, and maybe 4-5mm of an airgap with the LP53 + NF-A9x14 in my S4 mini.

What i'm worried about is if the Fins on the LP53 can be oriented properly, because the curved end of the heatpipes seem to stick out quite a bit and would interfere with the VRM heatsinks or the nearest DIMM. :D

Nice to know it may work after all. I may get another lp53 now for my s4-mini. I'm not actually sure what system I'll put in it yet, too many sff options leads to too many computers :D.

As for the orientation, that will depend completely on the motherboard vrm. You definitely cannot mount with the heatpipe curves towards the ram, it will interfere with the first slot.

Nice to know it may work after all. I may get another lp53 now for my s4-mini. I'm not actually sure what system I'll put in it yet, too many sff options leads to too many computers :D.

As for the orientation, that will depend completely on the motherboard vrm. You definitely cannot mount with the heatpipe curves towards the ram, it will interfere with the first slot.
Well you see, I'm a little crazy so in the name of the lowest CPU temps inside my S4 mini, I'm willing to make a few sacrifices. I'm willing to REMOVE the DIMM in the slot nearest to the CPU, and If my gaming suffers from going from 2x8GB to 1x8GB, I'll consider selling my 2x8GB-4000MHz kit and just buy a single 16GB DIMM instead (as the z270i STRIX has support for 16GB per DIMM).

I'm also willing to try and remove or modify the VRM heatsinks to get the LP53 to fit (mod as in trim with a dremel so the heatpipes can fit).

Reactions: RosaJ
like this
Well you see, I'm a little crazy so in the name of the lowest CPU temps inside my S4 mini, I'm willing to make a few sacrifices. I'm willing to REMOVE the DIMM in the slot nearest to the CPU, and If my gaming suffers from going from 2x8GB to 1x8GB, I'll consider selling my 2x8GB-4000MHz kit and just buy a single 16GB DIMM instead (as the z270i STRIX has support for 16GB per DIMM).

I'm also willing to try and remove or modify the VRM heatsinks to get the LP53 to fit (mod as in trim with a dremel so the heatpipes can fit).

Please share pics once you have it all setup.

Interestingly it does fit on some motherboards with heatpipes towards the RAM: . Anyone knows which Z270 ITX will work with this orientation?

That's unfortunate about having to mount it perpendicular to the ram. It makes a huge difference if both side of the fins can breathe. My RAM got really toasty too. Not ideal. I thought I'd have to do that too. But it tried turning it 90 degrees to be parallel and I craned and peered from every angle possible to make sure I wasn't putting any pressure in the cpu vrm's. Putting a really bright light opposite the board worked well. I could see the light peeking through between the vrm and fins. I had about 0.5-1mm clearance. You're totally sure it won't work?

I've heard the Skylake cpu substrate (pcb) is measurably thinner. Maybe that leads to the cooler being a fraction of a mm lower. It may be just enough to cause incompatibility with some coolers.

Ej24, did you get the Asus Z270 ITX working with LP53? Could you post images of how it looks? Which CPU do you have on there? Thank you.

Ej24, did you get the Asus Z270 ITX working with LP53? Could you post images of how it looks? Which CPU do you have on there? Thank you.

Sorry for the miscommunication there, but I'm running a z97n-WiFi with a 4790k. I was referring to my setup in the origin post. I don't have a z270 to test sorry.

Reactions: Jspr
like this
How's the LP53 compared to a Scythe Big Shuriken 2 rev b? I'm still unfamiliar with the other heatsinks compared in this thread :(

Sorry for the miscommunication there, but I'm running a z97n-WiFi with a 4790k. I was referring to my setup in the origin post. I don't have a z270 to test sorry.

Thank you for the clarification.

How's the LP53 compared to a Scythe Big Shuriken 2 rev b? I'm still unfamiliar with the other heatsinks compared in this thread :(

Not sure there either. I don't have that cooler. I think it's at least comparable in performance to the nh-l9i. Just search Google for reviews of that cooler and you should be able to get an idea of how it compares.

[Quote = "Ej24, posta: 1.042.807,304 mila, membro: 293291"] Ho in programma di fare il test senza ventola su una CPU 35w, ed eventuali altri test la prossima settimana. Spero di avere più tempo poi. Ci scusiamo per il ritardo. [/ Quote]

ti sei dimenticato di questo test? :)
o sono io non riesco a trovarlo :)

[Quote = "Ej24, posta: 1.042.807,304 mila, membro: 293291"] Ho in programma di fare il test senza ventola su una CPU 35w, ed eventuali altri test la prossima settimana. Spero di avere più tempo poi. Ci scusiamo per il ritardo. [/ Quote]

I apologize for the delay. I have been very busy with work. I am traveling next week so the test will have to wait about 10 days.

I have the LP53 with the Noctua A9x14 fan on a Z70I Strix. The Strix has stupid-tall heatsinks everywhere so it only fits with the heatsink curves opposite the m.2 heatsink, i.e. on the same side of the mobo as the EPS power input. It is also a huge pain in the ass to put on this board.

I am unsure if removing the IO VRM heatsink will enable orienting it 90 degrees so the fins are parallel to the RAM (i.e. with the heatpipe bends next to the IO ports), as Ej24 recommends, as I am unsureif the heatpipe terminations stick out too much to hit the RAM even in that orientation. The RAM is about 1 or 2 mm away from the fins as it is currently seated. I am curious if anyone has done this as well, as I would like to see if this lowers my temps.

I had an odd issue here wherein 3 weeks ago when I tested this set up on open air, I was getting perfectly fine temps at or below EJ24's testing. Then last night when my A4 arrived and I re-tested everything before putting it in the case, my idle temps shot up 10-15c and I was throttling on AIDA64. Not sure what happened. It was a little warmer last night but not 20c warmer!

I have the LP53 with the Noctua A9x14 fan on a Z70I Strix. The Strix has stupid-tall heatsinks everywhere so it only fits with the heatsink curves opposite the m.2 heatsink, i.e. on the same side of the mobo as the EPS power input. It is also a huge pain in the ass to put on this board.

I am unsure if removing the IO VRM heatsink will enable orienting it 90 degrees so the fins are parallel to the RAM (i.e. with the heatpipe bends next to the IO ports), as Ej24 recommends, as I am unsureif the heatpipe terminations stick out too much to hit the RAM even in that orientation. The RAM is about 1 or 2 mm away from the fins as it is currently seated. I am curious if anyone has done this as well, as I would like to see if this lowers my temps.

I had an odd issue here wherein 3 weeks ago when I tested this set up on open air, I was getting perfectly fine temps at or below EJ24's testing. Then last night when my A4 arrived and I re-tested everything before putting it in the case, my idle temps shot up 10-15c and I was throttling on AIDA64. Not sure what happened. It was a little warmer last night but not 20c warmer!

Probably sucking in its own hot exhaust trapped in the case. Whenever possible in a case that allows I add a duct, tube, or seal between the cpu fan and a side grill so it can only suck in exterior air. I'll definitely try with sentry. It always gets me 5-10C better than not having an intake duct.

Assuming it's doable, I'll post pictures when sentry arrives and I put my pc in it.

The idle temps went up in open air, before putting it into the case. So two measurements, weeks apart and both in open air, with one drastically hotter beyond the rise in ambient. That was the weird thing. I figure they will rise even more in the case so I'm seeing if removing the VRM heat sink blocking half of one side makes it better before putting it in. I don't think this is an issue particular to the LP53 however.

The idle temps went up in open air, before putting it into the case. So two measurements, weeks apart and both in open air, with one drastically hotter beyond the rise in ambient. That was the weird thing. I figure they will rise even more in the case so I'm seeing if removing the VRM heat sink blocking half of one side makes it better before putting it in. I don't think this is an issue particular to the LP53 however.
Yes, please retest it, and see if removing the VRM heat sink makes it possible to mount it with fins parallel to the RAM. My LP53 has yet to arrive... xD

So I tried two things tonight on open air: (1) a Scythe 120mm 12mm slim fan, attached via a mix of rubber bands a zip ties to the LP53, and the Noctua A9x14 again, this time on the Z270I with the IO VRM heatsink removed. LP53 fins are perpendicular to RAM, blowing out the IO*. I'm summarizing a rather large and ungainly HWINFO .csv file here (my free AIDA64 trial expired...) so apologies for the summary nature of this. All of the below tests are at around 23-24c ambient.

SCYTHE

1. Prime95 26.6 10 min with the Scythe max temp: 91c
2. ASUS Intel Xtreme Tuning CPU stress test, 5 min max temp w/ Scythe: 84c
3. Idle: 33c
4. Top SSD capped out at 50c in Prime95, RAM at 37c, Mobo at 35c.

The Scythe looks pretty bad ass covering everything. Sadly, it is 3 pin. Noise on the Scythe is fairly loud at full load. You will definitely hear it on your desk, and probably even if it's tucked away somewhere. At 60%, it's at 1300rpm, and it's still loud, but tolerable, and it moves ALOT of air on this tiny little board. At full blast near 2000rpm, it's just too loud for me. But, the SSD on top of the motherboard was nice and cool!

NOCTUA

1. Prime95: 91c
2. ASUS Intel Xtreme Tuning: 88c
3. SSD: 56C, RAM: 49.5c, Mobo 42c.

Idle is omitted because it is weird. The Noctua PWM seems perfectly content running at 300-400 RPM with idle temps fluctuating between 40-45c. If I pump it at full blast I can get it down to around 33c. I cannot recreate the lower idle temps at lower RPMs I got a few weeks ago which must have just been cooler ambient temps.

CONCLUSIONS:
Removing the IO heatsink eliminated throttling and lowered temps about 10c in stress testing. At full blast, the Noctua is probably just a tad louder than the Scythe at normal RPM's (60%; the only other possibility is "off.") The lower motherboard/RAM/SSD temps of the Scythe are to me not worth the huge increase in noise. With the Noctua, you have the possibility of totally silent operation, at essentially the same temperatures. I am sitting here typing this with the Noctua blowing right next to my face on my desk and I hear nothing. However if there was a PWM 120mm slim (<12mm) fan, that would be a potential winner. I am unaware of one. Of course if you are not limited by the Sentry or A4 CPU cooler height/distance from side panel constraints, this is not a problem.

Also I have a infrared thermometer which I aimed at the exposed mosfets during Prime just for fun, and none of them were above 110F. And I guess apropos of nothing, the heatpipe bends on the LP53 are the hottest part of the heatsink during Prime95, hitting about 135f, while the coolest part of the cooler is the other end.

*I have not tried reseating the LP53 with the fins parallel to the RAM. I think it might not fit, actually, as the WIFI card is sticking into the area where the heatpipe bends protrude. Measuring it seems to indicate it won't work. I may give it a go sometime this week or next when I have some more spare time. If the wifi card enclosure is removed (screws on the bottom of the case) the LP53 will fit in that orientation. However I think whether this is better or not might depend on your case. In the Dan A4 for example, from other users testing, it actually appears optimal to blow hot air out the back of the case if you remove the IO panel, rather than up and down.

Last edited:
So I tried two things tonight on open air: (1) a Scythe 120mm 12mm slim fan, attached via a mix of rubber bands a zip ties to the LP53, and the Noctua A9x14 again, this time on the Z270I with the IO VRM heatsink removed. LP53 fins are perpendicular to RAM, blowing out the IO*. I'm summarizing a rather large and ungainly HWINFO .csv file here (my free AIDA64 trial expired...) so apologies for the summary nature of this. All of the below tests are at around 23-24c ambient.

SCYTHE

1. Prime95 26.6 10 min with the Scythe max temp: 91c
2. ASUS Intel Xtreme Tuning CPU stress test, 5 min max temp w/ Scythe: 84c
3. Idle: 33c
4. Top SSD capped out at 50c in Prime95, RAM at 37c, Mobo at 35c.

The Scythe looks pretty bad ass covering everything. Sadly, it is 3 pin. Noise on the Scythe is fairly loud at full load. You will definitely hear it on your desk, and probably even if it's tucked away somewhere. At 60%, it's at 1300rpm, and it's still loud, but tolerable, and it moves ALOT of air on this tiny little board. At full blast near 2000rpm, it's just too loud for me. But, the SSD on top of the motherboard was nice and cool!

NOCTUA

1. Prime95: 91c
2. ASUS Intel Xtreme Tuning: 88c
3. SSD: 56C, RAM: 49.5c, Mobo 42c.

Idle is omitted because it is weird. The Noctua PWM seems perfectly content running at 300-400 RPM with idle temps fluctuating between 40-45c. If I pump it at full blast I can get it down to around 33c. I cannot recreate the lower idle temps at lower RPMs I got a few weeks ago which must have just been cooler ambient temps.

CONCLUSIONS:
Removing the IO heatsink eliminated throttling and lowered temps about 10c in stress testing. At full blast, the Noctua is probably just a tad louder than the Scythe at normal RPM's (60%; the only other possibility is "off.") The lower motherboard/RAM/SSD temps of the Scythe are to me not worth the huge increase in noise. With the Noctua, you have the possibility of totally silent operation, at essentially the same temperatures. I am sitting here typing this with the Noctua blowing right next to my face on my desk and I hear nothing. However if there was a PWM 120mm slim (<12mm) fan, that would be a potential winner. I am unaware of one. Of course if you are not limited by the Sentry or A4 CPU cooler height/distance from side panel constraints, this is not a problem.

Also I have a infrared thermometer which I aimed at the exposed mosfets during Prime just for fun, and none of them were above 110F. And I guess apropos of nothing, the heatpipe bends on the LP53 are the hottest part of the heatsink during Prime95, hitting about 135f, while the coolest part of the cooler is the other end.

*I have not tried reseating the LP53 with the fins parallel to the RAM. I think it might not fit, actually, as the WIFI card is sticking into the area where the heatpipe bends protrude. Measuring it seems to indicate it won't work. I may give it a go sometime this week or next when I have some more spare time. If the wifi card enclosure is removed (screws on the bottom of the case) the LP53 will fit in that orientation. However I think whether this is better or not might depend on your case. In the Dan A4 for example, from other users testing, it actually appears optimal to blow hot air out the back of the case if you remove the IO panel, rather than up and down.
Thanks illram for your test of the LP53 in the Z270i STRIX with the fins perpendicular to RAM, with the rear I/O VRM heatsink removed. :) I honestly NEVER thought to remove the I/O panel and have the LP53 shoot the hot air out the rear I/O! Very smart discovery, and it might work wonders inside the S4 mini once I receive the LP53 in the mail, I'll test it. So with removing VRM heatsinks in mind on the Z270i STRIX, I will test my current NHL9i install by removing the TOP VRM heatsink by the CPU 8-pin power, and seeing if it helps coretemps even more, since my NHL9i is seated with the fins parallel to the RAM, and that TOP VRM heatsink is blocking one end of the fins exhaust. :)

By the way, the Scythe fan you used was the 12x120mm slim fan, they sell them in different RPM variants, which one did you have? the 2000 RPM version? Know that you can order a PWM version of that, the 12x100mm PWM and even the 10x80mm PWM fan if you email Scythe directly. :) The PWM fans can be as loud as the straight 2000RPM versions if it speeds up to max RPM, but when the CPU is cool it's much quieter and probably more manageable than a non-PWM 12x120 slim fan. I have the 12x120 and 12x100 PWMs from scythe directly, so I'll definitely test those out on the LP53 once I receive it.

I'll anxiously await your test of re-seating the LP53 with the fins parallel to the RAM, hoping the removal of the Wifi card enclosure allows the LP53's heatpipes to fit. :D

Thanks illram for your test of the LP53 in the Z270i STRIX with the fins perpendicular to RAM, with the rear I/O VRM heatsink removed. :) I honestly NEVER thought to remove the I/O panel and have the LP53 shoot the hot air out the rear I/O! Very smart discovery, and it might work wonders inside the S4 mini once I receive the LP53 in the mail, I'll test it. So with removing VRM heatsinks in mind on the Z270i STRIX, I will test my current NHL9i install by removing the TOP VRM heatsink by the CPU 8-pin power, and seeing if it helps coretemps even more, since my NHL9i is seated with the fins parallel to the RAM, and that TOP VRM heatsink is blocking one end of the fins exhaust. :)

By the way, the Scythe fan you used was the 12x120mm slim fan, they sell them in different RPM variants, which one did you have? the 2000 RPM version? Know that you can order a PWM version of that, the 12x100mm PWM and even the 10x80mm PWM fan if you email Scythe directly. :) The PWM fans can be as loud as the straight 2000RPM versions if it speeds up to max RPM, but when the CPU is cool it's much quieter and probably more manageable than a non-PWM 12x120 slim fan. I have the 12x120 and 12x100 PWMs from scythe directly, so I'll definitely test those out on the LP53 once I receive it.

I'll anxiously await your test of re-seating the LP53 with the fins parallel to the RAM, hoping the removal of the Wifi card enclosure allows the LP53's heatpipes to fit. :D

Good to know about the Scythe! I am using the 2000 RPM one. In a perfect world, I would prefer a slim 120mm and quiet fan over the Noctua since it does such a good job cooling the entire case. I may try that out next if I can get a PWM one.

Something to note: I think the orientation of the heatpipes themselves is important, in addition to fin direction. Once in the case and with the heatpipe bends of the LP53 at the bottom of the case, fins facing out the IO panel, I am noticing a further improvement in temperature. About 10c lower at idle vs open air and Max temp of Prime95 went down to 86c in the case, from 91c in open air! And that 86c was a singular spike, the average was more like 84c. So this matches conventional wisdom that fin orientation and heat pipe direction are both important, and wth the LP53 I think you can get away with the fin orientation facing the RAM so long as they can exhaust out in at least one direction, if the heatpipes are at the bottom of the case.

Also I take zero credit for the IO panel idea, that was done by others in the Dan A4 thread! :)

Last edited:
Good to know about the Scythe! I am using the 2000 RPM one. In a perfect world, I would prefer a slim 120mm and quiet fan over the Noctua since it does such a good job cooling the entire case. I may try that out next if I can get a PWM one.

Something to note: I think the orientation of the heatpipes themselves is important, in addition to fin direction. Once in the case and with the heatpipe bends of the LP53 at the bottom of the case, fins facing out the IO panel, I am noticing a further improvement in temperature. About 10c lower at idle vs open air and Max temp of Prime95 went down to 86c in the case, from 91c in open air! And that 86c was a singular spike, the average was more like 84c. So this matches conventional wisdom that fin orientation and heat pipe direction are both important, and wth the LP53 I think you can get away with the fin orientation facing the RAM so long as they can exhaust out in at least one direction, if the heatpipes are at the bottom of the case.

Also I take zero credit for the IO panel idea, that was done by others in the Dan A4 thread! :)
Interesting in-case results, great to see your temp drops. I personally had never thought about that "conventional wisdom" of removing the VRM heatsinks... I always thought the VRMs would really need them to stay below proper operating temps... great to know!

If you do try to reseat the LP53 with fins parallel to the RAM, please also try removing the top VRM heatsink by the cpu 8-pin, to allow for even better airflow and see if it lowers temps further, so nothing is blocking the end of the fins where heat is exhausting. :D

Also, how EXACTLY do you mean that the CPU heatpipe direction is important? I thought all that mattered was that the two ends of the Heatsink fins were unobstructed.

Interesting in-case results, great to see your temp drops. I personally had never thought about that "conventional wisdom" of removing the VRM heatsinks... I always thought the VRMs would really need them to stay below proper operating temps... great to know!

If you do try to reseat the LP53 with fins parallel to the RAM, please also try removing the top VRM heatsink by the cpu 8-pin, to allow for even better airflow and see if it lowers temps further, so nothing is blocking the end of the fins where heat is exhausting. :D

Also, how EXACTLY do you mean that the CPU heatpipe direction is important? I thought all that mattered was that the two ends of the Heatsink fins were unobstructed.

Oh by conventional wisdom I meant heatpipes being at the "bottom" of a vertical motherboard orientation. Removing mosfet heatsinks is definitely not conventional!

Heatpipe direction I think has to do with the way the internal wick of structure of the heatpipe moves heat. In the small amount I read about this online it seems that most air coolers with heatpipes operate better when the heatpipes are not working against gravity or are oriented with the bends at the bottom of the case, or at least perpendicular to the ground.

So I reseated the cooler today and can confirm it cannot fit on the STRIX 270i motherboard with the fins parallel to the RAM. The heat pipes, in both directions, stick out over the first RAM slot.

So I reseated the cooler today and can confirm it cannot fit on the STRIX 270i motherboard with the fins parallel to the RAM. The heat pipes, in both directions, stick out over the first RAM slot.
Okay, interesting find. If you were to (hear me out) REMOVE the first DDR4 stick, and have the FAT/bendy end of the heatpipes facing the RAM, would it fit? and would you be able to fit it without removing the Rear I/O heatsink? or would the other end of the heatpipes (the pointy ends) still interfere with the rear I/O heatsink and require removing the heatsink?

sorry I'm asking all these questions, I promise I'd have done this already myself, if my LP53 would have arrived already.... :( By the way, inside your Dan A4, did you ever get temp numbers to compare your LP53 and the NHL9i? were you using the same A9x14 fan in both configs? I'm really interested in comparative temps between those two coolers from inside the case. :)

You need to remove the IO heatsink either way due to the heatpipe terminations also sticking out. Not sure if the heatpipe bends would fit over the RAM slot, if they did it would be close and they would push against the other stick. Not a compromise I would make, personally.

For comparing the l9i and the LP53, check this out:

You need to remove the IO heatsink either way due to the heatpipe terminations also sticking out. Not sure if the heatpipe bends would fit over the RAM slot, if they did it would be close and they would push against the other stick. Not a compromise I would make, personally.

For comparing the l9i and the LP53, check this out:

holy shit. i wish S4 mini users had such an amazing treasure trove of info like your Dan A4 owners!

By the way illram is your 7700k delidded? It doesnt say it is on that sheet. Will you plan to delid it and retest your temps with your LP53 and A9x14 config? :D

Not delidded. I would expect a delid would provide a huge decrese in temps, since Intel seems content cheaping out and selling us crappy non soldered CPU's...

Not delidded. I would expect a delid would provide a huge decrese in temps, since Intel seems content cheaping out and selling us crappy non soldered CPU's...
dang, you're up there with the delidded CPUs with those temps! wow! I wonder if its thanks to those few airflow tweaks to your Z270i? Now I really have to try out what youve done once I get my LP53 this week (removing VRM heatsinks in favor of tiny individual ones), and maybe going further and sacrificing one RAM stick. I've already ordered some tiny individual mosfet heatsinks like another DanA4 guy did for his Z270i STRIX to replace with the 2 big fat ones. Then I'm also going to implement the fan duct that vishcompany seemed to use to great effect! (4-6c drop in temps!), and I'll even consider removing my rear I/O shield to improve airflow like many other setups on that spreadsheet. :D

I've got to consider how my S4 mini will be sitting most of the time though, when thinking about the LP53's mounting orientation, since my S4 will be in a vertical orientation most of the time. Thing is, having my heatpipe bends facing the bottom means I'll have my fins perpendicular to my RAM as my bends will be pointing towards the 8-pin CPU power according to my S4's vertical orientation... xD We shall see how that works out...

So yeah, thanks illram for your temp testing and for providing such a wealth of info on that link! :D I'll be following that DanA$ thread now too, even though I'm a warring S4 Mini Zealot! >=)

So I got my LP53 and tested it against my NHL9i, both using the NF-A9x14 PWM. :) My results and pics are here: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/nfc-systems-s4-mini.96/page-124#post-39633

RESULTS ANALYSIS:
Removing the VRM heatsinks gave me anywhere from a 2-4c improvement in load temps when using the NHL9i. this also allowed my load temps not to fail before the 10 minutes, where they were hitting 99c otherwise. :D
The LP53 beat the NHL9i in the same configuration without the VRM heatsinks, it dropped my idle temps by 3c, and my load temps dropped between 2-5c.

TL;DR: I went from... using the NHL9i with the VRM heatsinks of my mobo ON (which I was using all this time), to the LP53 without the VRM heatstinks. This resulted in my CPU no longer throttling and failing my load tests, while dropping my load temps from reaching 99c in 2 & 5 minutes, to maintaining my load temps at a steady 90/92c after the full 10 minutes of stress test! That's an average of -9c on my load temps! on air! inside the S4 mini! :D :D :D

I still haven't forgotten about your request. My travel was longer than expected and there was recently a death in my family so I simply have not had time to test anything.

However, I can say from experience that my 25W Xeon e3-1240L gets up to ~60C with a Noctua NH-L9i and fan spinning at 300rpm. The temperature will be even higher with a 35W cpu. Even with the higher performance of the lp53 I would recommend a case fan be pointed at the lp53, this defeats the purpose of being fanless, so you should probably just use the lp53 or nh-l9i with the default fan.

If you are still interested I will try to test the 35W cpu this weekend?

Back