Thermochill PA120.3

Bio-Hazard

2[H]4U
OK, I've got a question that I think only Cather can answer, or maybe not............... :eek:

My UFO U2 case supports a Thermochill HE 120.3 native. IE; zero mods, direct bolt-on. Now my question is, will the new PA120.3 also fit the same??????? What I mean by this is the fan spacing the same between the 2 different versions.

I'm just getting bored with my system the way it is and was playing with the idea of switching out some of the water cooling gear.

Probably best to ask Marci at XS or Procooling forums where he frequents. I'm waiting for the final shipping versions to arrive at my end and am unaware of any changes of that nature. I believe that it's all been kept standard, but Marci would be able to confirm.

PA120.3 and HE120.3 both fit happily in the supporting MountainMods cases (Opti1203 & all current rev U2-UFOs) :)

Marci said:
PA120.3 and HE120.3 both fit happily in the supporting MountainMods cases (Opti1203 & all current rev U2-UFOs) :)

I assume this means the shrouds for the HE series fit the PA series?

Yes HE Series shrouds will fit PA Series, if you are about to purchase HE Series shroud then why not wait PA Series shrouds to release but you have HE Series shrouds then nevermind

Hard911 said:
Yes HE Series shrouds will fit PA Series, if you are about to purchase HE Series shroud then why not wait PA Series shrouds to release but you have HE Series shrouds then nevermind

the HE shrouds actually don't fit the PA rads!

The above posts refer to the inbuilt shrouds on the HE and PA series as they should be the same.. but the external shroud unit won't fit.

Note, from products description on thermochill.com...

Compatibility: FG120.3, NG120.3

No mention of PS120.3. The HE Series Optional-Extra Performance Shrouds WILL NOT fit the PA Series rads. We've said that from day one. We've only ever stated that Fan Grills and Neoprene Gaskets (FG & NG) will fit them.

Cathar over at XtremeSystems said:
Don't sweat it. Performance difference shrouded vs unshrouded is fairly minimal (~2%), or at least that's what I saw with the prototypes.

I found fans pushing to work better than fans pulling, by around 2-4%.

The radiator really does just fine with 25mm thick fans.

Putting 25mm thick fans directly on the radiator in a push mounting is not going to cause any pain at all, and IMO, is about equivalent to having a shroud and the fans in pull-mode.

Only way to make PS120 shrouds fit PA Series rads is to split the corner welds and bend, or brute force them on which will:

1) Make a royal mess of the paintwork on the rad.
2) Leave the shroud corners unsealed
3) Look rather nasty and bodge-job

Other alternative is to bend the mounting tabs up 90 deg, then back down 90 degs after 1mm. THEN they'll fit, but the holes likely won't align so will need to redrill.

Easier to sit n' wait for PA Series shrouds, or adapter kit for the current shrouds.

Cathar c/o Marci said:
Putting 25mm thick fans directly on the radiator in a push mounting is not going to cause any pain at all, and IMO, is about equivalent to having a shroud and the fans in pull-mode.

In terms of noise? I was experimenting with some fans I have yesterday and having anything that close to the fan does increase noise...It did seem more noisey on the pull side as push side, but I still would think a shroud would help noise.

Back