Thermaltake’s newest CPU cooler brings the RGB light show to compact PCs for $15

To me it's more of a joke with RGB lighting than a real cooler. I it's only 122.3mm in diameter and 66.1mm tall with no heatpipes, so not much cooling ability.
Second problem is downflow coolers tend to re-use their own heated exhasut air, so run even hotter. Problem is fan pushes air though cooler where it heats up and when it reaches motherboard it turns out, hit's RAM, GPU etc. turning up along side of cooler and fan where fan draws this heated air back into cooler. When testing these small downflow coolers I found just reversing fan to pull air out lowered temps up to 10c.

Newegg has
Rosewill ROCC-16003 for $17.49 (small tower cooler w/ 3x heatpipes)
Deepcool Gammaxx 200T-CPU for $15.29 w/ 2x heatpipes

It really doesn't make sense to skimp on cooler and case fans. They are not all that expensive compared to prices of motherboards, CPU RAM, GPU, PSU, etc., and a few dollars more on good cooler and case fans means a much quieter system running at much lower temps.

To me it's more of a joke with RGB lighting than a real cooler. <snip>

that's the point... some folks are into that ;) it's probably not going to be better than a stock heatsink but it's low-profile which will be a selling point for some. tbh i quite like how this looks... would be a nice matchup for my stock 1600 had i not picked up a massive overkill 212 RGB on sale

that's the point... some folks are into that ;) it's probably not going to be better than a stock heatsink but it's low-profile which will be a selling point for some. tbh i quite like how this looks... would be a nice matchup for my stock 1600 had i not picked up a massive overkill 212 RGB on sale

The rest of the post that you "snipped" covered all of they rest of your post. They aren't effective and heat the rest of your components.

The rest of the post that you "snipped" covered all of they rest of your post. They aren't effective and heat the rest of your components.

same could be said of the stock heatsinks that have the same construction. i never disputed the performance deficit. my point was, for some ppl who like how this looks and don't care that it won't perform better than stock, it will be worth the <20$ to them because they like how it looks and don't care that it won't perform better than stock. also, the super low z-height and downflow design that are holding thermal performance back might be an attraction for low-profile systems. to each their own is all i'm tryin to say. it's fine for ppl to think it's crap and not want anything to do with it, and it's fine for ppl to like it and want it, even if they also think it's a bit crap (i like it and want it and think it's not crap for the price and wished to say why)

same could be said of the stock heatsinks that have the same construction. i never disputed the performance deficit. my point was, for some ppl who like how this looks and don't care that it won't perform better than stock, it will be worth the <20$ to them because they like how it looks and don't care that it won't perform better than stock. also, the super low z-height and downflow design that are holding thermal performance back might be an attraction for low-profile systems. to each their own is all i'm tryin to say. it's fine for ppl to think it's crap and not want anything to do with it, and it's fine for ppl to like it and want it, even if they also think it's a bit crap (i like it and want it and think it's not crap for the price and wished to say why)

I'll concede people will buy this for the looks. But the "holding thermal performance back might be an attraction" part? There are people out there who WANT their components to run hot?

I'm just saying, as was posted above, there are RGB coolers that cool better for marginally more.

It may work well in really thin cases with a high rpm 80mm pulling the heat away. Then again most mini cases are solid all around...

It may work well in really thin cases with a high rpm 80mm pulling the heat away. Then again most mini cases are solid all around...
Honestly more 'really thin cases' don't cool well regardless of cooler used .. the 'solid all around' design simply does not flow air very well if at all. ;)

This just looks like a revamp of the same blue\gold orb heatsinks they have been selling for 10+ years lol.

Reactions: spine
like this
Back