Thermaltake Tsunami

1). Does anyone know if this is a good case?
2). Is it Loud?
3). If it is loud, and I replace the fans (2x120mm, and 1x92mm), with vantec stealth fans, will there be enough air flow?

(have an sli system etc.)

thanks
f

With 4 fans (front, side, cpu, psu), it's not silent, but it's not overly loud. I don't even notice it, it just becomes white noise. Personally, I think it's a great case, but others will say differently.

I've heard it was one of the loudest cases reviewed and was near 50dB. If you gotta get it and replace the stuff on it, then I'd get SilenX or Vantec Stealth fans for it. I've seen it in person and its a pretty nice case. The only problems I saw was that the front door creaked and was a little less precise in opening and closing than other models I've seen, and the front inside pannel was a little cheap as was the power button. You might want to look at the Coolermaster Cavalier, Lian Li or Silverstone cases. Those are all high quality and some are a little cheaper(in price) than that TT case and many of them are much much quieter. The Cavalier I've got has 2 silent fans(1 120mm 1 80mm) and you can barely hear it.

I wouldn't doubt that if you got some foam and decent fans, or 7-volted them, the case would be a lot quieter and cool just as well. This is what I plan on doing if I get this case.

I own one, and the stock 120mm fans were quite loud. If you remove the stock fan and retention bracket, there is just enough room to install 150mm fans :cool: I'm very happy with mine.

I removed the stock fans and installed SilenX fans in my Tsunami. I love the silence.
The case cools well and compared to other similar cases, I found it to be the best value (price and features).

Had the same dilemma too with the noise. Couldnt find any 120mm blue LED fan with 70+CFM to replace it with so i've modified the retention bracket by cutting out the plastic fan guard. It didnt make the fans dead quiet but the noise is very acceptable now.

zapian_ said:
Had the same dilemma too with the noise. Couldnt find any 120mm blue LED fan with 70+CFM to replace it with so i've modified the retention bracket by cutting out the plastic fan guard. It didnt make the fans dead quiet but the noise is very acceptable now.
Yeah, those retention brakets are extremely restrictive. I have no idea why they were designed that way. Cutting it out would definately bring the noise level down, as well as cutting out the honeycomb grill.

Mine isn't exactly quiet...at all (replaced that 92mm fan with an even louder one) but I can sleep with it a few feet away from me thankfully.

If i had a non OC, but SLI 6800gt, and fx55, would 53cfm on each of the 120mm be enough?
what is the cfm on the tsunami itself?
thanks
f

I believe the stock fans were rated on paper around 70 cfm and 21db at 2000 rpm. What I know for sure is they pushed a good amount of air but were loud to the point of distraction.

I have a 6800gt and an AMD 3500+. My (53 cfm/14bd on paper) 120mm LED SilentX fans keep the case as cool as the stock fans, but I cannot hear them at all. The case itself is well designed to dissipate heat. What's key is the side panel 92mm fan (also replaced with SilenX), which blows cool air directly on the CPU and video card area. My CPU temps consistently run at 30 degrees (idle) and up to 33 degrees after a few hours of Half Life 2/Doom 3. MB temps range from 26-29 degrees. I also replaced the stock 6800gt fans with the Artic NV5.

What you'll find that is after you swap out the case fans then the stock video card fans will sound really loud. Then you'll replace those and the PSU or heatsink fans will become the biggest noisemakers. If you are after silent performance, make sure those components are well rated as well.

I found the Tsunami to be a great value for price and performance, so if you like to mod and upgrade along the way I think it's a good choice. However, with the amount of money I've spent on upgrading fans, I could have spent more up front and bought a Lian Li PVC 1000, which was rated better for silence and heat dissipation.

21db is loud? I'm sensitive to sound but 21db isn't that loud to me. I replaced my 92mm fan with an LED one that's 35db...that one is loud, but bearable because it becomes white noise.

Loud and quiet is relative. Although I do not own a a decibel meter, I think they were much louder than 21db. The heatsink fan was also rated at 21db but it was much quieter than the case fan.

EGGO said:
21db is loud? I'm sensitive to sound but 21db isn't that loud to me. I replaced my 92mm fan with an LED one that's 35db...that one is loud, but bearable because it becomes white noise.

i dont know how thermaltake meausures sound but if those fans are 21 db, then a vantec tornado is 25 db or something. seriouosly maybe they measure the sound from 50 meters away or not i dont know. but what i can say is that they are loud. and the tsunami mak eno mistake looks awesome, but its a copy cat. total copy of wavemaster. and now i heard they copied cm stacker as well.personally out of respect to original companies i will never buy THERMALTAKE they give false information on products and they are copying other brands.

turmania said:
ts a copy cat. total copy of wavemaster. and now i heard they copied cm stacker as well.personally out of respect to original companies i will never buy THERMALTAKE they give false information on products and they are copying other brands.
No, it is not a copy of the Wavemaster or any other case for that matter.
Stellar said:
Neither the front bezel nor the internal design of the Tsunami is taken from either of those cases.

The only similarity to the Coolermaster is the curved front design. The Wavemaster has a small lip near the bottom right, whereas the Tsunami has a lip that runs from top to bottom. The Tsunami also has the chrome trim piece, LEDs, and double doors.

The only internal similarity to the Antec is the use and placement of the two 120mm fans, which is quite standard actually. Otherwise the PSU mount, the support bar (standard to Thermaltake), the hole behind the PSU, the motherboard tray, the expansion slot locks, and the removable drive cages are all very much different.

Yes, Tt did bank on the popularity of the "wave" design, however functionaly the Tsunami is everything the Wavemaster was NOT. Slightly larger, SPECTACTULAR paint job, FAR better cooling, wire management, removeable cages, double doors, more accessible accessory ports, locking side panel, and built-in rubber washers to silence the hard drive. Far superior in almost every respect... and to top it off it's marginally less expensive.

I have the case, the 120mm fans are a bit loud but they push a good amount of air and they come with connectors for a fan controller. You could always to what I do and plug the three pin connector (yellow wire) to the mobo fan connections and use a software fan controller called speedfan found HERE:. Then you can set the proggie to control the fans speeds. The only time I hear my fans is during bootup, once windows starts thefans slow down to my preffered speed. When I need more airflow... ie. heavy OCing and benching I can crank them back up in windows. This cool little proggie monitors temps too. I love it, no clutter, or fan noise, and best of all..... IT'S FREE!! :D

As far as case features it is awesome! Light weight, plenty of little holes here and there that are ideal for hiding wires, and really nifty HDD thumbscrews and rubber grommets for noise control. Thermaltake put alot of thought into this case, my only complaint is not being able to lock the double front doors one at a time. I would like to be able to lock the BIG second door while leaving the front door able to open. I personally took the bulky HDD drive bays as well as the PCI slot covers off to make room for my watercooling setup. I give the case an A+. Time will only tell to its durability though. I am kinda thinking it might not last as long as others because it is really, I mean REALLY light!

bAcKpAiN: You can lock the Big Door that houses the power button and reset button without locking the outside door. You just turn the key half way as stated in the manual. Turn the key counter-clockwise to the vertical position and it unlikes both doors, turn the key half way and it locks the inside door while unlocking the outside door. To the key clockwise to the vertical position again and both are locked shut. :p

You just turn the key half way as stated in the manual
There is a manual?!

LOL seriously I didnt get one with mine :rolleyes: Was a gift, and I am too lazy to look it up on the web :p Thanks for the info though. YOu just solved one of my few pet peeves with this case!

turmania said:
i dont know how thermaltake meausures sound but if those fans are 21 db, then a vantec tornado is 25 db or something. seriouosly maybe they measure the sound from 50 meters away or not i dont know. but what i can say is that they are loud. and the tsunami mak eno mistake looks awesome, but its a copy cat. total copy of wavemaster. and now i heard they copied cm stacker as well.personally out of respect to original companies i will never buy THERMALTAKE they give false information on products and they are copying other brands.

I guess you better always buy Antec brand LED fans then because Antec was the first to mass produce a commericial version of the LED fan and everyone else copied them lol. :rolleyes:

And who the crap cares about giving respect to an invididual company. They dont care about you at all and all they want is your money.

Back