Thermaltake Tsunami front 2 blue LEDs DOA

frank b

[H]ard|Gawd
I got my components installed into my new case and go to fire it up and the 2 blue LEDs that are supposed to illuminate the door don't light. I check the voltage at the 4-pin molex. 5V I check at the 2-pin mini connector 5V. I check where the two are spliced together ~1.5V I remove all the protective sleeving and check the inline resistor and it measured around 100ohms. Being stupid I removed the resistor and gave the 2 LEDs straight 5V and they worked for a while 10-15seconds then the smoke came out and now I've got nothing. I don't know what the specs are on the LEDs but the 1.5V they were getting was not enough for them to emit and 5V fried them.

Has anybody else had this problem on theirs? Otherwise the case seems to be OK.

Mine have been working flawlessly for the past 8 months. They shouldnt be too hard to replace though..

I thought mine were DOA but for some reason they made it so that either you plug in the inside PLED or plug the LEDs into the same 2 pins... very dum imho.

What I think would be cool, instead of sticking 2 more LEDs in there, would be to drop a 12 or 16 inch blue cold cathode tube down the front. that would look cool.

or maybe red LEDs?

I wish mine would die. I hate them and haven't had the chance to pull everything out and re-route my wires so that i don't need to use that plug. Consider yourself lucky.

And i agree with ^^^; A tube tucked in behind the curve would look much better.

Mine came DOA as well. Thermaltake kindly sent me brand new ones, no questions asked. Didn't even have to send the broken ones in...

I agree with the poster who said they should put a cathode in there instead of the LEDs...I have been considering that mod for some time.

Maybe I will just go with a cathode. I've got a spare one sitting around I could try it.

I am amazed that there are so many others that had theirs DOA as well.
Thanks for the replies,
Frank

Here it is with a green cathode. Pics aren't great as the lighting in my computer room is strange making it difficult to get a picture without flash assistance.

130_3013s.jpg

130_3015s.jpg

I disconnected mine, I got sick of blue lighting shining on the wall (it bounced off the silver curve and lit up the wall, annoying).

blink182prj said:
That is a much better look for the Tsunami...now I really want to do it!

agreed. Two of them to light the entire length might be cool. Or maybe a 4" at the very top and a 4" at the very bottom, leaving the middle by the trim unlit.

LOL after reading this I noticed that mine aren't working,,,and I don't know when they stopped. Hehe guess the lights weren't that big a deal to me. ;)

I hate thermaltake just a little bit. My tsunami case' side panel fan is DOA, and the top usb ports don't seem to work... I have them plugged in right (writing goes up, right?)

elite.mafia said:
I have them plugged in right (writing goes up, right?)
Mine only worked when the lettering was faced down. Same with the HDD+power LEDs. TT cases are made in China, so everything is upside-down :p

oh god damnit, you mean I installed them wrong? And I though I had it right! bleh. In windows, it shows 6 usb ports (4 on back, 2 on top), but they don't work. My power led doesn't work either, the leds on the front work, hdd led works, power/reset buttons work... china? are you serious? I thought my goods were from japan! god damnit.

elite.mafia said:
work... china? are you serious? I thought my goods were from japan! god damnit.
heh, look at the box. It proudly displays: Made in China :p TT case leads have always been upside down for me, ever since the XaserII (lol, there never was an XaserI :p )

Please explain how you mounted a CCFL in there. Please provide pics as well. I got a bad-ass idea from your mod!!!

frank b said:
Here it is with a green cathode. Pics aren't great as the lighting in my computer room is strange making it difficult to get a picture without flash assistance.

130_3013s.jpg

130_3015s.jpg

wow i like that green cathode... how the hell did u mound a cathode in there?

I just used clear packing tape to hold it in there temporarily while I figured out if I wanted to go with that look or not. I'll probably end up using a hot glue gun or something similar to mount it permanently.

frank b said:
I just used clear packing tape to hold it in there temporarily while I figured out if I wanted to go with that look or not. I'll probably end up using a hot glue gun or something similar to mount it permanently.

Did you route the wire through the door? Was it difficult?

pigpen said:
Did you route the wire through the door? Was it difficult?

No and no. I just rigged up the lamp to get an idea as to what it would look like before committing to anything more permanent. If you look closely you can see the red and black leads poking out below the TT logo.

It was only a temporary setup to get a feel for what it would look like.

Maybe you should post some pics of it to help us understand it a bit better. ;)

I'd love to put a ccfl in my tsunami's door, but I doub,t the way the connectors are today, that I could fit the molexes through the prebuilt holes.. not to mention where the hell am I going to mount the box?

The wires pop out of the connectors very easily. I've literally done hundreds of them myself. Make sure you mark which wire went into which hole int he connector. Wiring them backwards will still make them light up, but nearly as bright.

I doubt I'll actually do it, my case is less than a month old. I've been so careful to not even scratch it... though my side panel is covered in dust right now. When I move I'll clean it (moving exactly 1 week from now). And plus I need to spend my money on something besides my system, which I don't want to fuck up again... had so much trouble with this POS in the past, mainly with overheating (2 hds died from overheating (shitty seagates), my 9700 pro was giving me artifacts, upgraded to next-gen midrange card, my heatsink was replaced because some retard told me my system was overheating (tho he told me to upgrade to a worse heatsink...)

ya so I think mods are my last thing to worry about

elite.mafia said:
I'd love to put a ccfl in my tsunami's door, but I doub,t the way the connectors are today, that I could fit the molexes through the prebuilt holes.. not to mention where the hell am I going to mount the box?

What the hell Forum are you in?
This is the [H]ard Forum's...
Break out your tools and get to work!
If it won't fit... MOD IT!

Well, I finished modding these in a few weeks ago and finally got around to taking a pic. The only thing I am disappointed about is the space in the light between the top two cathodes. Otherwise, I am quite happy.

With Flash

Without Flash

Full Shot

Majin said:
What the hell Forum are you in?
This is the [H]ard Forum's...
Break out your tools and get to work!
If it won't fit... MOD IT!
[personal life]
sry im 13 and if it's fuckin illegal for me to buy power tools, not to mention my parents are divorced and my mom is an ass.... [/personal life]

elite.mafia said:
[personal life]
sry im 13 and if it's fuckin illegal for me to buy power tools, not to mention my parents are divorced and my mom is an ass.... [/personal life]
Fuck, I was buying cigarettes when I was 13. What do you mean it's illegal for you to buy power tools? I've never had that problem.

I have had two of these cases in the last year and the leds have never died on me. But if you want you can go to radio shack and pic some new leds up and just replace them? :D

blink182prj said:
Well, I finished modding these in a few weeks ago and finally got around to taking a pic. The only thing I am disappointed about is the space in the light between the top two cathodes. Otherwise, I am quite happy.

With Flash

Are those three 4" lights or one 12" light? I'm currently using a single 12 inch, but I'd like toget four 4" lights to make it go all the way up and down the door. Still looks good though.

I'd take pics but my sister dropped the digital camera, breaking it. :(

Oh, modding the CCFL stick in is very easy. Just unscrew the lip of the door off, drop it in, put the wires through the hole (takes a bit of work unless you take the end clips off) and then you'll find out whether the black box has to be inside of the case, or outside of the case, but behind the 2nd door. You don't even have to take the LEDs out, but you can if you want 2 bright LEDs to have elsewhere in the case...

Back