Thermaltake Tower 900 air-cooling

AORUS

Limp Gawd
What do you think of air cooling in the Tower 900 this was on display I was going to buy one just for air cooling ? what's your opinion
IMG_1727.jpg

Also see this was posted on another forum
3-frontpaneloff.jpg

Never. Looks way too odd/awkward.

Yes it might look a bit odd in this case because it was designed for custom water cooling, and I only wanted someone opinion for this case because of the low reviews it have online compare to the other cases on the market today and I didn't want to waste £201.02. on it. I was first going to buy the Corsair Air 740 but now I have seen this one.

I think it looks weird, however it should cool pretty well on Air. I cool my Ryzen with Air and would be interested to see this cases Air cooling performance. It could grow on me.

I think it looks weird, however it should cool pretty well on Air. I cool my Ryzen with Air and would be interested to see this cases Air cooling performance. It could grow on me.

Thanks for your opinion, because It look soo empty in the bottom maybe do a custom build will fill in the gaps I only want buy one case for the future builds and never change my case over. I still like it but I can't make up my mind on the Tower 900 or go for the Corsair air 740

Thanks for your opinion, because It look soo empty in the bottom maybe do a custom build will fill in the gaps I only want buy one case for the future builds and never change my case over. I still like it but I can't make up my mind on the Tower 900 or go for the Corsair air 740

I had an Air 540. It was nice, cooled well and had a lot of room. The 740 is probably up there with the 540. You couldn't go wrong with any of those two.

On the Thermaltake website it says
The Tower 900 has the capability to deliver excellent cooling efficiency, and enables users to build extreme air/liquid cooling systems with high-end, large graphics cards.

But it do look odd on air

I had an Air 540. It was nice, cooled well and had a lot of room. The 740 is probably up there with the 540. You couldn't go wrong with any of those two.

what did you replace your Air 540 with

what did you replace your Air 540 with
I went back to my Lian Li PC-9F. It's old but it cools well with the drive cage out. Nothing has been able to replace it yet entirely. haha

Take a gander at [H]ardOCP's own review of the case:

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/12/04/thermaltake_tower_900_vertical_super_chassis_review/

I really wanted this case but until I move next year I have to keep my computer on a rolling desk which precluded considering a case this wide. The Phanteks (in sig) that I did pick up barely fits there and I consider it a good compromise. If you have the space for the ThermalTake I think you'll really like it.

Thanks for the link

Very good review but it did say you cannot install a "Corsair Hydro H100, H110, H105 or the Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme in the Thermaltake Tower 900" because it will not fit the CPU what big shame maybe that is why many people didn't buy this case because of this now I know why it got a low rating online and only a few buy it, I was going to use a Hydro in my next future build but it looks like there is no chance of that happening the only other way would be to Custom water cooling but that cost more money and I have never done it before, or the other way would be to stay on Air cooling for life, no other options.

They say (allowing you the freedom to build a truly unique system) With just only two options?? I would not call that freedom to build when you have no other options in a tower case in this big size!!

You think Thermaltake would have came up with a better solution "one size fits all" approach just isn't going to cut it at this price.

Last edited:
You think Thermaltake would have came up with a better solution "one size fits all" approach just isn't going to cut it at this price.

This case is anything but one-size-fits-all.

This case is a uni-tasker. It was made for one purpose, for one type of person.

Hardcore Water Coolers who want a rig to show the fuck off like whoa. Dual loops, with 4+ Pumps, two different colors, and all the trimmings? YOU CAN 110% DO THAT IN THIS.

That's the target audience, not people who could buy a 50$ mid tower to put an AIO in and call it watercooling. I saw one at MC today and it's utterly ridiculous! I would never get one (But I'm also not the target audience!)

So it really only a show case for the fan boys "look what I got" in my opinion It would have been better if it was smaller it's not just the size 30” tall and over 17” wide it's the weight at 24.5kg without anything in it the tint glass is nice and in black looks good but not white also white cost more money then black

S0 if I do buy this case I would have to pay a computer shop to build it in custom water cooling wow that would run up the cost not only that I would have to take it down too the shop at 24.5Kg? that is if they would do it in the first place.

Last edited:
I picked one up locally off craigslist for dirt cheap. Definitely meant for watercooling.
1x140mm fan on top, 1x140mm on bottom if you pull the drive bay. Keeps air flowing decently over the mb, but I wouldnt trust it with an air cooled cpu and gpu.
Overall, I love the case. But I have full watercooling too.

I picked one up locally off craigslist for dirt cheap. Definitely meant for watercooling.
1x140mm fan on top, 1x140mm on bottom if you pull the drive bay. Keeps air flowing decently over the mb, but I wouldnt trust it with an air cooled cpu and gpu.
Overall, I love the case. But I have full watercooling too.

I buy this also because in the store under all the lights and been in white didn't appealed me and look odd, so I order it from Amazon in Black and oh boy the box is big but open it and taken off all the packaging and putting it on my desk It don't look that big in fact it's only 23cm higher then the corsair air 740 also the width is the same 42 cm and the depth only 6cm how can anyone say this is huge tower compare to the towers on the market today? it's much better in Black then white in my opinion, and with the tempered glass look very much worth the money and been all metal and only for the top been in plastic compare this to other cases like the air 740 or 540 made of all plastic and only the frame in metal

The only price difference is just £71.00 more than the air 740 UK price

To your question I have only see one person on another forum post his tower in air cooling and it look not that good in fact that put me off But if I do keep my tower I will mod it not just stick a motherboard in and a graphic card I would go all out RGB in every computer part even mod the bottom with more fans, and only Air cool my CPU, I will not waste my money on custom loop watercooling!

1. spend allots of hours doing a custom loop
2. having to change the solution every 6 months
3. clean every part for the other six months of year then do it all again....hell no

In fact this case was design with air/AIO/watercooling, Not just water-cooling

Last edited:
In fact if Thermaltake should designed two version of this tower and called it tower 850 and change the H to 60cm /W 40cm /D 40cm it might have changed peoples mind it would have only been 10.cm higher than the NZXT S340 Elite Black Gaming Case, giving the builder more headroom and only 14cm higher than the Phanteks Eclipse P400S but both of theses case have the same design like the old retro computers the only differences is they change the PSU from the top to the bottom and now made a cover for the PSU at the bottom of the case and added tempered glass on the side but still the old design not much have changed.

Now we have a new design a cube and now the tower but we still moan for more change so when these companies design newer cases still people moan it's too big for my desktop and still it will continue the circle until we make the change.

Last edited:
Check out these images of my air cooling solution! Insane air flow and AIO compatability! Can't wait for my i9-9900k to come in so I can move over my 2080 Ti and drives to this new build. Currently have a Z390 Aorus Master, Corsair H150i 360mm AIO, 32GB Corsair Vengence 3200hz (2x16), and a Corsair RM850x in the case right now with Corsair LED lights and 120mm Magnetic levitation fans modified into the case.

https://imgur.com/gallery/7Wd3O2O
https://imgur.com/gallery/cTd5OaB

Last edited:
Back