Thermaltake Toughpower GX1 700W Power Supply Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Thermaltake Toughpower GX1 700W Power Supply Review

Thermaltake is no stranger to HardOCP when it comes to making Toughpower PSUs. We have used these for years ourselves. The newest Toughpower is part of Thermaltake's GX1 series. This GX1 700 watt unit touts Gold level efficiency, a fluid dynamic bearing fan, and is oddly not modular in any way, which is something very unusual in today's market.

If you like our content, please support HardOCP on Patreon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not going to lie, I saw the headline across the top of the forums and though 'Sweet Jebus 1700W is a lot of juice!' and clicked to see what it was all about.

And then skipped reading the review because I'm not in the market for a new PSU and because I figured out I read it wrong.

BUT I've read MANY of the [H]ard PSU reviews so I'm going to assume it's just as top-notch as all the rest.

It's about as unexciting as most Thermaltake products. Except they charge you for exciting in all their products, and try to convince you that something is there.

Thanks for the review guys, yet another PSU to ignore.

It's about as unexciting as most Thermaltake products. Except they charge you for exciting in all their products, and try to convince you that something is there.

Thanks for the review guys, yet another PSU to ignore.
It is a good PSU, but pricing is going to be its challenge.

I'd guess the audible noise is caused more by the mesh than by the fan itself.
Should become quieter by replacing the mesh with a more open wire grille.

Something I'm wondering after looking at your test setup. Your standard 120/100v tests all put 2A on the 5VSB rail, and the 80+ one's scaled it along with all of the other rails.

I thought the standby rail was only used to handle the initial power switch detection (and things like wake on lan, etc if supported and enabled in the bios) along with PC off USB charging. Does the rail actually get loaded while a PC is fully on? It seems like something that'd be easy enough to test with a clamp meter and non-bundled 24 pin cable; but while I think I have a cheap PSU with the latter I don't have a clamp meter in my tool box to check.

Back