Thermaltake Toughpower DPS G RGB 850W PSU Review @ [H]

Discussion in 'Power Supplies' started by FrgMstr, Sep 6, 2016.

1. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

Thermaltake Toughpower DPS G RGB 850W PSU Review - Flashy lights are cool if you are into that kind of thing, but we want to know about the new Thermaltake power supply beyond the pretty hues of red, green, and blue. Toughpower units have weighed in well in the past, but how about in today's market as it is a lot more competitive now.

Peter2k, DrLobotomy and Sith'ari like this.
  2. Peter2k

Peter2k Limp Gawd

While I appreciate catering to those wanting some RGB fix (like myself)

I have to say I'm put off by the fact that I can't control the rgb fan in the psu ( or the normal fans ) with the aura connector on my board

As it stands it's just easier to open up a psu, put a rgb magnetic strip in there, and through a small hole connect to the aura connector
    Also a lot cheaper price

Even if I don't want to do that
    I could just replace the fan on my psu now with a riing from thermaltake

Still couldn't sync with my board

Yes I know it's a first world problem
    But considering the price it should be an option
    Meh

I'm sure many will comment how they find rgb stuff to be stupid
    But there's plenty of non rgb, or even simple led, quality hardware to buy already

3. Great Tiger

Great Tiger [H]ard|Gawd

Nifty idea but the majority of cases now days put the PS at the bottom of the case with the fan facing downword and usually just a above a dust filter so there won't be much light showing up at all.

4. VIC-20

VIC-20 Gawd

Based on the reviews of previous Thermaltake models (that failed miserably) on [H] and the number of dead hard drives we have had in our Thermaltake PSU based computer lab, I cannot bring myself to purchase one of these. Thank you for taking the time to testing their newer models though. Maybe someday they will have a gold worthy product.

5. macksomerville

macksomerville [H]ard|Gawd

THIS...

NEEDS....

TO.....

STOP.........

6. Gigus Fire

Gigus Fire 2[H]4U

Lets put lights on the one device that needs to stay silent and unseen. Sounds like a good idea, everyone loves x-mas lights on everything.

I mean it's thermaltake. I don't really expect much.

If evga/superflower starts doing this i'll be disappointed.

7. figgie

figgie [H]ardness Supreme

for cases that put the PS facing down. probably better options but for a case like a Thermaltake p5 (which more than likely this was built for), the RGB fan is a nifty idea. The power numbers look ok. hence why my wife got her for her P5 :D