Thermaltake Suppressor F51 Mid-Tower Chassis Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Thermaltake Suppressor F51 Mid-Tower Chassis Review - Thermaltake is upping its game with its new Suppressor F51 E-ATX Mid-Tower Chassis. New sound deadening technology, expanded cooling options, all while supporting motherboards from mini-ITX to E-ATX in size. The F51 has a fully modular tool-less design that also has dust filtering in mind.

This thread is to discuss this case and its review. If you want to discuss Tt;s business, please do it in your own thread.

That's exactly what I thought, it really looks like the Define. ThermalTake cases normally look like a Transformer crossed with a Toaster.

I have a Fractal Define XL. That is why I am possibly liking this case.
Looks wise, it looks like the Fractal Define series....that totally ripped off but improved on the Antec P180. That is the same thing here. F51 give you more fan options than most, both usb 2 and 3 headers in forting (lets hope they don't use Fractal inherently flawed design too), and just enough room for any or everything. And yes, it does not look like it's going to fold out to be Technoman.This case would be on a very short list if I was ever going to build anything other than a micro ATX system ever again.

I wouldn't be against purchasing this case if I didn't already have a Define R5.

Seeing that it fits a 420 rad in two locations is really nice. If I decide to downsize my Obsidian 800D I would be very interested in this case.

I too will mirror everyones opinion, it's almost as if the design (hehe pun) was lifted wholesale from Fractals line up.

Nice review. I really like the looks and the flexibility. That being said, I don't think I've every dropped more than $75 for a case in my life (1st gen Antec Sonata was $74.99 in 2003, I still use it!). So $120 is out of my price range.

That does kind of suck about the door swinging left to right, I also have a left hand cubby under my desk so that would be a drag.

silence is very appealing to me... that and 2 420mm radiator spots...
Thanks for the review, I actually might grab one with a new build soon.

opens on the wrong side for my desk and the rear removable bottom filter kill this one for me.
Why oh why cant someone get filtering right.....

Like everyone else has mentioned... this is almost EXACTLY the same as the Fractal R5 Define case.
I can only point out a few very minor differences between the two.
Don't get me wrong, I like thermaltake, but it looks like they just took the R5 case from Fractal made a few minor changes then called it their own.

That being said, the fractal has quite a few pluses compared to this case, for example, you can change the direction the door opens, choose how many of the covers on the top of the case to remove (from none to 3) depending on your fan/rad setup and more.

The R5 is even cheaper (by a bit) so I would just go with that myself.
And as I do own one, I must say that the R5 is very modular, offers tons of options on Rad setup, HD placement, how many fans etc. and is very quiet.
I am actually a bit miffed (now that I have finished typing this) as this thermaltake case is really just a copy and rebrand of the Fractal case.
Quite sad from a company (thermaltake) that actually makes some nice stuff

D.

opens on the wrong side for my desk and the rear removable bottom filter kill this one for me.
Why oh why cant someone get filtering right.....

stormy1....
Check out the Fractal R5 case
Bottom filter removes from the front and the front door can be switched to open either direction (takes 2min and 2 screws to change)

Those are actually 2 things I needed as well.
Happy camper with mine.

D.

Like everyone else has mentioned... this is almost EXACTLY the same as the Fractal R5 Define case.
I can only point out a few very minor differences between the two.
Don't get me wrong, I like thermaltake, but it looks like they just took the R5 case from Fractal made a few minor changes then called it their own.

That being said, the fractal has quite a few pluses compared to this case, for example, you can change the direction the door opens, choose how many of the covers on the top of the case to remove (from none to 3) depending on your fan/rad setup and more.

And as I do own one, I must say that the R5 is very modular, offers tons of options on Rad setup, HD placement, how many fans etc. and is very quiet.
I am actually a bit miffed (now that I have finished typing this) as this thermaltake case is really just a copy and rebrand of the Fractal case.
Quite sad from a company (thermaltake) that actually makes some nice stuff

D.

The interior of the F51 is similar to the Core V51 interior which isn't bad. It's bigger than the Define R5. I fit two 360mm radiators with relative ease in the V31, one being a top mounted, thick UT60 from Alphacool

I just don't understand why they copied the door and side panel so closely!

It's a very good case with the ability to hold all those radiators, but I don't like that they couldn't spend another hour in engineering and R&D to make their own unique door design.

And it's not even as good as you can't switch opening direction as you've said.

But honestly I'd take the Define S over this for extreme water cooling any day. Optical bays be damned.

Good review of a case that is a big cop-out by Thermaltake.

I also found it strange they posted this review with no mention of its copycat design.

Externally the reviewed tt case is almost a carbon copy of my Fractal R4. Got it a couple of years ago when they were still including 3 of their silent fans. Could not be happier.

Kyle,

You should have reviewed the case that TT copied, did a comparison.

I also found it strange they posted this review with no mention of its copycat design.

Business, that's not the sort of you generally want to do if you ever want to recieve review hardware from that company again.

I miss when TT heatsinks were good, cheap and plentiful. I've owned a lot of them, with the SilentBoost being my favourite. It seems like they've lost their way recently.

Last edited:
As someone who has been using a TJ07 since 2007 and hasn't looked seriously at cases in several years, here's my train of thought on this review:

1) Reflexive eye-roll as soon as I see the TT name. I have associated the TT name with over-marketed junk since I built my second PC in ~2004, with the exception of the Toughpower PSU's. Ah well, at least it looks like a nice case and not like a fucking transformer or that stupid Level 10 BS.

2) Skip to the conclusion page. Hmm, lots of nice things. Ok, I guess I'll read the review.

2a) My face crinkled up reading TT's introduction. Synonymous with performance cooling? When was that?

3) Wow, lots of nice design features and extremely flexible fan/rad mounts. The idea of switching back to air cooling has been in the back of my mind for a while now, ever since I built my sister a PC in a Corsair Carbide R500 or something, and by the end of this review I was seriously thinking to myself "Wow, that's a nice case. Things have come a long way since the TJ07 and this thing has some nice advantages over the R500 too. I could actually see myself buying this thing. Wow."

4) Since having a positive impression of a TT product is a rare experience for me, I visit the discussion thread. Oh. Not much innovation then, I see.

5) Dunno. The Carbide R500 was strikingly quiet, and I'm sure the Fractal Design cases are similar. I still like the mobo tray mounted bays that can take a 3.5" spinny, and the sound foam, but maybe the foam isn't making that much of a difference?

I'm still left with a good impression of the case, but less so now that I've spent a minute looking at the R5. I still have a hard time seeing myself ever owning a product with a TT badge, and the TT intro in the review is still bugging me - it just doesn't feel very [H].

1. TT has been ripping off other designs for many years.
2. [H] has been reviewing TT products also for years while nobody else cares about TT.
3. If a little native advertising keeps this site alive along with the reviews that really matter, I'm willing to look to the other side.
4. I still trust [H]'s perspective on CPUs/GPUs/MBs unlike most other tech sites. In fact, I don't know a single 100% independent site.

That's my personal PoV. (a litlle depressing, I know)

I have to agree, for such a reputable site to overlook a company blatantly copying other company's cases, fans, fittings and water blocks is sad.

Business, that's not the sort of you generally want to do if you ever want to recieve review hardware from that company again.

I miss when TT heatsinks were good, cheap and plentiful. I've owned a lot of them, with the SilentBoost being my favourite. It seems like they've lost their way recently.

Then you don't review TT equipment. Not being reviewed hurts them more than it hurts [H]. If they really wanted to review an item from them, and TT wouldn't send a review sample, they could just buy it and sell the item after they finished reviewing it.

Personally, I don't care if they copied Fractal. Lots of companies have adapted the Antec P18x (including Fractal) look. What kills this for me (same with the R5) is the minimal front bays. I want at least 3 bays. I kinda wish they still had an optional 3.5" bay so I could toss a card reader in the case (alternatively I wish they'd make 5.25" card readers).

Personally, I don't care if they copied Fractal. Lots of companies have adapted the Antec P18x (including Fractal) look. What kills this for me (same with the R5) is the minimal front bays. I want at least 3 bays. I kinda wish they still had an optional 3.5" bay so I could toss a card reader in the case (alternatively I wish they'd make 5.25" card readers).

There is similarity, and then there is copying. For example your requirements could be solved by most of Nanoxia Deep Silence cases. Do they look similar to Fractal Design ? Sure they do. But they are still recognizable from each other. Nanoxia has dual door system, Fractal has single door. Fractal has side fan mount position, Nanoxia has none. Nanoxia has the chimney thingy on top.

So for your requirement, you probably want a Deep Silence 1/2/3/5/6 (depending on size; 4 is mATX) :
http://www.nanoxia-world.com/allproducts/1/Cases/

Nice case, tons of options for AiO placement it would seem. Also good to see Tt get some love.

Page 4/5 were both very helpful in terms of AIO compatibility. It's that kind of information that really helps me the consumer delegate between case choices given my current cooling setup. Aethetics are for some, but functionality and extensibility are the things i care about.

Thanks Steve, [H]!

We review products as they are shipped to us based on their performance, features and functionality of the product, period. If there is a legitimate concern over the performance, features or functionality of a product we have reviewed, please feel free to share them.

By now all of you should know we do not favor ANY company over another, we do not give favorable reviews that are not earned. If you are looking for a review site that injects internet controversy into its product reviews, you are in the wrong place. If you are "MAD" at us for not interjecting internet controversy into our product reviews, I don't know what to tell you.

In the end, we save the internet controversy for editorials and keep product reviews about the performance, features and functionality of the product at hand and nothing more.

Again, as Kyle has already stated, this thread is to discuss this review. If you want to discuss Tt's business, please do it in a thread dedicated to the topic.

Last edited:
Like this case a lot. But I'll be sticking to Antec designs, they usually give me what I want in cases.

There is similarity, and then there is copying. For example your requirements could be solved by most of Nanoxia Deep Silence cases. Do they look similar to Fractal Design ? Sure they do. But they are still recognizable from each other. Nanoxia has dual door system, Fractal has single door. Fractal has side fan mount position, Nanoxia has none. Nanoxia has the chimney thingy on top.

So for your requirement, you probably want a Deep Silence 1/2/3/5/6 (depending on size; 4 is mATX) :
http://www.nanoxia-world.com/allproducts/1/Cases/
Will add them to my case list. Thanks.

FWIW, new Fractal cases open from both sides. Hell, I can remember when half the cases were a Dragon case renamed under some other brand (including Antec).
If Fractal doesn't sue, then it's hard for me to care. If they do, then I'd have to read up on and decide. Until then, the more inconspicuous black/gunmetal grey cases the better. This one doesn't quite do it for me, but maybe their next one will, though if nanoxia fits the bill now, then it's probably going to win..cause i'm doing at least one new build once W10 and Skylake are out. (I really want to do it right now, but no reason not to wait 2-3 months now).

I get trying to move the conversation about Thermaltake's alleged (and I use that word to be kind, not infer that I don't see them as thieves) intellectual property theft to focus on the review, but ...

Why hasn't the review been modified (on page 1) to acknowledge the serious allegations? Readers should be aware of that. No judgement, just the facts (and in this case, the allegation is a fact). What's there is total BS that could have been written by Thermaltake. It's not uncommon, and I typically don't have an issue with it, but to go with that while ignore the controversy seems wrong. It really bothers me. These reviews can and do get edited with noted edits, and it's not too late.

Until then, the silence speaks to your business practices.

I get trying to move the conversation about Thermaltake's alleged (and I use that word to be kind, not infer that I don't see them as thieves) intellectual property theft to focus on the review, but ...

Yet you posted in this thread anyway, even though we asked nicely (twice) to make your own thread or post in the thread dedicated to this topic. :(

AGAIN, if you want to talk about the Tt controversy, please post in the thread listed above or make your own thread.

Kyle/Steve, any chance we can get sound/temp comparisons between the Fractal R5 & R4? I would prefer the Suppressor if it's superior.

Like everyone else has mentioned... this is almost EXACTLY the same as the Fractal R5 Define case. ... the fractal has quite a few pluses compared to this case, for example, you can change the direction the door opens, choose how many of the covers on the top of the case to remove (from none to 3) depending on your fan/rad setup and more.

To add a few more advantages of Fractal's design:
  1. I prefer Fractal's single-piece bottom dust filter
  2. the R5 has considerably more room for cable management; something I found important when building with a Corsair 330r recently.
  3. I thought I'd never say this about an R5, it's actually lighter than this case. By 5 pounds!! Yikes, b/c the R5 is one beast of a case.
Honest question ... for those saying they'd consider this case, may I ask why you'd consider this over an R5? The R5 is less expensive, lighter, and comes with better features.

Last edited:
I'm surprised a case that can hold an E-ATX board can be classified as a mid tower. I guess you learn something new every day.

Antec's p18x was a mid tower and it's as big or bigger than most of these cases, but it's not as wide, which makes cable management a PITA, though I recall people praising it for that feature back in the day.

I may bet a R5 or one of the Deep Silence boxes. Starting to read on them again. I feel a 6700k will become available in the near future :)

The Supressor F51 is pretty solid. I must say though, I'd prefer the front under the door to be a bit different. the stiff, plastic coverings are a bit out of place on an otherwise decent case. this is some of Tt's best work.

I'm surprised a case that can hold an E-ATX board can be classified as a mid tower. I guess you learn something new every day.

yea, there is no hard line. the craziest was Corsair billing the 650D as a mid when it's almost the same size as the 750D. in my opinion this case and the case it's based on (V51) are full towers. they are both larger than the Source 530 and about the same size as the Enthoo Pro.

We will be doing a Fractal R5 review soon. :)

Looking forward to it, it's always good to have options, I think Thermaltake has a few pluses I like over the R5. I currently own an R4, would like to see what's better.

I bought this case before hearing about any of the controversy. If it's a copy of fractal cases, then at least they put a lot of work into improving the copies. I looked through antec cases, fractal (ordered a used one first from a scammer, never got it), and nanoxia. All of the cases I looked at were remarkably similar.

To me, fractal's moduvents didn't look clean. Nanoxia review on amazon claimed shipping and quality control problems. When I found the thermaltake, it was cheap ($30 rebate), had a better look, and had the features I wanted. I have it now and I'm happy with the performance.

The R5 has a better designed bottom filter , more HDD bays and better cable routing due to the slant of the MB tray

The Suppressor F51 offers a top fan filter and E-ATX support. I think it also does a better job at filtering the front intake. The R5 allows air unfiltered into the sides of the two 5.25 bays.

The F51s behind hidden HDD mounts are not thought out well, especially the lower one that makes connecting cables to it really difficult.

Overall I think the R5 is the better case.

[H] does tend to review each product in a vacuum, that is good and bad. I wish they would do more comparisons, but at least they are not pushing a single brand over another like some others do.

Back