FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Thermaltake Pacific RL240 Water Cooling Kit Review - In a world now filled with All-In-One CPU coolers, Thermaltake takes it old school with a water cooling kit that has everything you need from A to Z. If cutting your hose to length and perfecting the layout and presentation of your cooling loop appeals to you, Thermaltake makes it easy with a one stop shop.

Interesting, but yeah the fact that it doesn't include push pull from the get go is sorta lame. It'd be interesting for someone a bit more versed in custom loops to give a ballpark for these parts sold separately.

edit: Like mister Nicepants said above, seems like this is the same sort of compromise with buying a system vs. building it. Yeah the flashy parts (CPU/GPU) might be the same, but all the supporting parts are not going to be as high quality, but it might be a bit more affordable in the short term.

edit edit: His comment seems to have vanished....

Last edited:
Apparently my original comment was removed.

I removed your comments due to use of profanity and how you directed it at the system. It was just simply not needed in a review thread. Since you have PMs turned off, I did send you an email explaining my actions and asking you to please post again without the profanity. - Kyle

I realized after I wrote it that I never really paid attention to the other AIO system reviews, and it looks like pretty much all of them appear to have the same problem - i.e. aluminum radiator with copper CPU block. In the reviews I checked, [H] doesn't specify if it's just the fins that are aluminum (and maybe the tubes are brass) or if the tubes are in fact aluminum. Corsair's review at least notes copper microchannels - does that mean the rest of the AIO's listed with 'aluminum radiators' are 100% aluminum?

Regardless, guys, there's no reason to risk your system on such a stupid design decision. TT, NZXT, Silverstone, Aquacharger, just don't. Seriously.

Some would say I'm nit-picking and that an anti-corrosive cooling fluid or nickel plating makes everything ok - maybe it does - but I've seen what happens when nickel plating quality isn't up to snuff, and when there are good alternatives available that do not have this problem, and in many cases cost the same or less...

[H], you need to beat up these manufacturers if they're putting any metal other than plain or nickel plated brass or copper, or silver, in contact with our water. No-brainer. This goes for integrated water blocks on motherboards/gpus/etc also.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure that I'm the type of noob that this review was aimed at. Scared to build a custom loop because they haven't done it before, but runs an AIO water cooler all day without a care in the world. Thank you very much for the information on the kit and how it performed. I don't have my custom loop detailed in my signature yet, but may I ask how do you get all the air out of the system? This is one article that I wouldn't mind watching a video about. Like a common water cooling rookie's mistakes to look out for. And I want to add that all of the helpful tips and images detailed in the article are getting ordered from Amazon this weekend. I was wondering how to get those pesky compression hoses to stop aggravating me. Wish I knew that the grease a week ago!

Thanks again guys! [H]ardocp / [H]ardforum is the best place for a hobbyist to hangout at. (y)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As long as it's cheap I don't see a OMG $280.. Also Aluminum radiator? Seriously? Especially for just cooling the CPU I could build a much better setup for $100. In fact, lets try.

2x120mm copper radiator for $53

$17 copper water block. I actually use this on my FX-8350.

$40 water pump, similar to the kit. Not my first choice, but whatever.

Buy car coolant and some cheap tubing and you're done. Ok not exactly $100, but more like $150, but at least it's copper.

Or for not using ebay:

Laing D5 - $95 on Amazon
MCR220 or whatever - $50 at swiftech
Name your top of the line CPU block - $65 (again using Swiftech as reference)

$70-ish left for fans, whatever reservoir you want based on case layout, tubing, fittings, and a silver coil for your distilled water.

Aluminum radiators are the norm. Out of curiosity - if this AIO wasn't made by Thermaltake, would you have read the review? I freely admit that I didn't really pay attention to any of the previous AIO reviews because I didn't need one, and I assumed that they were all basically the same with decent parts. It was the Thermaltake name that made me look at this review, thinking in the back of my mind "I wonder if they managed to [censored] this one up".

After I let loose in a manner much less polite than you, I realized that there are really only 2 companies (maybe) that HAVEN'T [censored] this up.

I also learned that apparently I have no idea how to enable PMs on this forum.

Or for not using ebay:

Laing D5 - $95 on Amazon
MCR220 or whatever - $50 at swiftech
Name your top of the line CPU block - $65 (again using Swiftech as reference)

$70-ish left for fans, whatever reservoir you want based on case layout, tubing, fittings, and a silver coil for your distilled water.
$27 for Delphi water pump. That other pump wasn't my first choice, but I was trying to match what the kit had.

Aluminum radiators are the norm.
Only if you have an aluminium water block as well. Otherwise you get electrolysis, and the aluminium will eat away. Ask me how I know about this? BTW, you could get away with it using car coolant, since it's really good at preventing electrolysis, but why take your chances? Go 100% copper and get better cooling.

As a water cooling noobie who wants to breath a little life into his sandy bridge I been debating on a water cooling setup. What I gathered from the review is the hassle and cost of using a kit like this is not worth it when i can just order a Artic Cooling 240 for 99 bucks. But the thought of running it through a video card setup sounds great until i research and discover my msi 970 is not reference so finding a cooler for it is complicated. Some of you guys reference cheap parts on Ebay my concern would be how reliable are these parts?

Erm, would not buy =( But decent effort there TT.

Did I miss The Division benchmark review? Going to do one?

That price/performance ratio is the real killer. I know custom watercooling setups rarely make sense on a cost/performance ratio but they're selling this as a one up to an AIO so the fact that you can get an AIO that outperforms it for less than half the price (Galcer 240L or Corsair H110i GT from [H]'s own chart) this is a big ask.

$199, then they'd have a product that might appeal to someone.

Only if you have an aluminium water block as well. Otherwise you get electrolysis, and the aluminium will eat away. Ask me how I know about this? BTW, you could get away with it using car coolant, since it's really good at preventing electrolysis, but why take your chances? Go 100% copper and get better cooling.

When I say that aluminum radiators are the norm, I'm talking about the fact that nearly all of the AIO's reviewed here have aluminum radiators, and they should thus be dismissed for being disposable garbage. Meanwhile Swiftech and Corsair don't even advertise their radiator material on their AIO product pages - despite being the only two companies I've been able to find who aren't cutting that corner.

I see a serious flaw in the review methodology. How is it possible that you compare differents kits and only publish temperature data? The reviewed kit features fans @ 1200rpm, whereas the winning kit, Glacier 240, has fans @ 2400rpm, meaning that the noise output is probably 3x on the Glacier.

All in all, aooling a pc is not only about performance, but about noise (or lack thereof), and the review doesn't mention anywhere that the product tested might be the lest noisy of the top ten.

When I say that aluminum radiators are the norm, I'm talking about the fact that nearly all of the AIO's reviewed here have aluminum radiators, and they should thus be dismissed for being disposable garbage. Meanwhile Swiftech and Corsair don't even advertise their radiator material on their AIO product pages - despite being the only two companies I've been able to find who aren't cutting that corner.
By all means, please make our thread to DISCUSS THE REVIEW your personal page for an aluminum radiator diatribe. GO MAKE YOUR OWN THREAD. Jeez...

I see a serious flaw in the review methodology. How is it possible that you compare differents kits and only publish temperature data? The reviewed kit features fans @ 1200rpm, whereas the winning kit, Glacier 240, has fans @ 2400rpm, meaning that the noise output is probably 3x on the Glacier.

All in all, aooling a pc is not only about performance, but about noise (or lack thereof), and the review doesn't mention anywhere that the product tested might be the lest noisy of the top ten.
So would you like us to replace every stock fan with a can rated at a certain CFM so airflow is the same????

We test the units as those are shipped and at the different fan speed settings that are represented. A serious flaw in methodology would be changing the product so that it did not perform as it would out of the box for the consumer.

As for noise, I guess a chart with decibel levels and a subjective opinion are not good enough for you?

Reading is fundamental.

On the contrary this review was very helpful to me why would i spend $280 bucks on a cooling system when i can buy the A.C 240 for 99 bucks basically same noise level and performance for $180 less. I been debating for a week about the Thermaltake kits trying to decide if they are actually worth it or not for me. This review pretty much answered my question. Just my 2 cents....

On the contrary this review was very helpful to me why would i spend $280 bucks on a cooling system when i can buy the A.C 240 for 99 bucks basically same noise level and performance for $180 less. I been debating for a week about the Thermaltake kits trying to decide if they are actually worth it or not for me. This review pretty much answered my question. Just my 2 cents....

I would never accept data regarding cooling unless several mounts have been done and tested. Why? Simply put, mounting a heatsink or cpu block does have a huge impact on cpu performance, and it is something you don't know unless you do, test, then re-do it.

In any case, I would never consider the A.C 240 or any other AIO for that matter to perform the same (let alone better) than any "decent" watercooling kit (at a similar sound output, of course). But still, it is up to the final consumer to decide if the difference in price (which, by the way, is huge) is worth it. On the AC... keep in mind that since its a push-pull unit, it is very wide...

PS: and the point of this "expandable" kits is, precisely, that they can be expanded. IF you will never do it, then there is no point in paying a lot more for features you have no use for.

I would never accept data regarding cooling unless several mounts have been done and tested.
Yeah, we would NEVER do that.

What I take away from your posting here is that you know more about cooling than HardOCP ever will, HardOCP does not know how to test, HardOCP's information is of no value to you. Thanks, go it. Please move along and let us discuss our horrible review with people that actually read it. K, thanks...

Where did I say your review was horrible? Don't put words in my mouth, please. I only stated that:

a) You put no emphasis on the fact that different fans mean a world of difference, not only in performance but also in noise.

b) Small temperature differences like those recorded by any tester when comparing cooling products are meaningless unless you eliminate perfect mountings and very bad ones. As a reviewer, you do know that. As a user and a reader, I do understand that you don't do it because it simply requires far too much time. But still, it is what it is.

What I know or what I don't is of no importance. I'm commenting on the review as I would on any other forum on the internet. But If you don't want me commenting on your HardOCP specific reviews... then fine, I'll ignore them.

It looks nice...

I disagree. This looks like crap, IMO.

14592614496ql0VvS60C_4_12_l.jpg

I disagree. This looks like crap, IMO.

14592614496ql0VvS60C_4_12_l.jpg

I don't see a issue with the kit, all it could use is better placement yes, other than that, the kit is what it is & keep in mind this is a basic kit for the avg joe/jane 1st time diy watercooler.....
I built a pc with one of the kits that came with level10gt and it lasted 4 years w/o issues.
personally, idk what the kit has alluminum/copper w/e for the entry level kit witch is what this is intended/marketed for, it works just fine..

Good write-up!

I would like to see more kits like this one reviewed.
Maybe a reach-out to EKWB for their kit that's in a similar price range for a compare?

I would never accept data regarding cooling unless several mounts have been done and tested. Why? Simply put, mounting a heatsink or cpu block does have a huge impact on cpu performance, and it is something you don't know unless you do, test, then re-do it.

In any case, I would never consider the A.C 240 or any other AIO for that matter to perform the same (let alone better) than any "decent" watercooling kit (at a similar sound output, of course). But still, it is up to the final consumer to decide if the difference in price (which, by the way, is huge) is worth it. On the AC... keep in mind that since its a push-pull unit, it is very wide...

PS: and the point of this "expandable" kits is, precisely, that they can be expanded. IF you will never do it, then there is no point in paying a lot more for features you have no use for.

Yes i get what you are saying. But we are talking about this particular cooler which from the looks of it doesn't look like it's worth $280 bucks for an expanded solution. Also keep in mind they sell add on kits for video cards that work with the AIO solutions for an extra 30 bucks which still comes out cheaper then buying this particular expandable solution.

Yea you guys repeat what was mentioned in the review already.....It priced to high! I got that from reading the review and i never water cooled in my life. This thing goes on sale for half price and it should sell well:) To me it looks like it should have come with a 45 degree connector on top of the water reservoir? looks funny to me as is

Personally, I'm not quick to jump on an aluminium radiator, and the reviewer saying this is 'the biggest radiator he's seen'? Was I reading that right, or what?

There are MUCH MUCH better kits for similar prices by Alphacool, Swiftech, etc. At least the [H]ard review basically said this was overpriced.

Personally, I'm not quick to jump on an aluminium radiator, and the reviewer saying this is 'the biggest radiator he's seen'? Was I reading that right, or what?

There are MUCH MUCH better kits for similar prices by Alphacool, Swiftech, etc. At least the [H]ard review basically said this was overpriced.

Maybe they meant in girth. Like oh wow that's big. I sure hope I can handle it all. Giggity giggity

I think they're being cordial. Thermaltake is taking steps to appeal to the market. And that's something. Another way to put it might be 'In our opinion this would be a better value at a much lower price. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to review your product. I hope that you found our thoughts on your product as insightful as our readers. We'd love the opportunity to continue reviewing your products as you make strides to improve them.'

Say what you want about TT. But they're doing something. You know what's great? They never get great reviews, but continue the effort. I appreciate that they continue sampling products to [H]ardOCP. There are a lot of companies that snub their noses at an honest review. I probably see more Thermaltake products up for review here than any other company.

So how much more cooling potential does a copper radiator have over an Aluminum one? Or is it in this case just a lack of fans that the Thermaltake product didn't do as well? Or something else like the pump?

I think overall this is really not that bad of a combo hampered by lack luster fans. They should of included there Riing fans instead! That radiator is 64mm thick and made from a brazing process that is basically state of the art. It would be nice if it was copper has you can get a copper radiator for about $20 more but still giving the size and fin density of that radiator there should be little difference there. That pump is also a multi speed D5 Vario pump which is basically has good as it gets. Even there CPU block isn't really that bad. Just saying for a noobie that wants more than an all in one solution but doesn't want to figure out which parts goes with which this is fine. The one thing that is clear however is that them all in one solutions have come a long way and some are top notch for half the cost of a DIY setup. DIY setups are more expandable and cooler looking with clear tubing and reservoirs but certainly also less practical. They need to cut the cost some more but really you would be hard pressed to buy these parts separately for less that pump/res combo alone is around 200.00.

a) You put no emphasis on the fact that different fans mean a world of difference, not only in performance but also in noise.
Did you actually read the review?

do people still build custom loops with a cpu only? the temperature difference between an AIO and the best custom setup is almost identical these days

do people still build custom loops with a cpu only? the temperature difference between an AIO and the best custom setup is almost identical these days

Reality Well when you're doing something for the first time, you have to start somewhere. Say you were budget constrained and you wanted to start a loop that was expandable. Something like this would be the ticket to starting out. Then next time that you have some free cash you buy a GPU block and expand your loop. Maybe you add in a second radiator after that. You get the idea.

When you start with a closed system AIO then you're just stuck. Now the Swiftech AIO and others are awesome because once again they are expandable. So in short starting out with a CPU only custom build is fine as Rome wasn't built in a day.

If the test PC is still together, is there any chance of slapping on whatever nice fan that you would recommend onto the Thermaltake and seeing how much of a difference it would make?
Nope, not going down that rabbit hole.

Fair enough. ;)
Yea he correct in doing that....[H] has to stay consistent thu and thru.......It could turn into a clusterfuck real quick if they start second guessing and changing stuff. (id rather read the next review lol)

Back