Thermaltake New SFF Cases

Meh, nothing fancy or worth getting excited about. Kinda Blah looking to me. Just my opinion though.

I wonder what the dimensions are. In the link, it says both cases are "9.4 x 11 x 17.9 inches".

EDIT: Looks like that was the dimension for the SD1. the S1 is "15.4 x 7.1 x 18.4 inch" on ThermalTake's site. So both cases are huge!

I wonder what the dimensions are. In the link, it says both cases are "9.4 x 11 x 17.9 inches".

EDIT: Looks like that was the dimension for the SD1. the S1 is "15.4 x 7.1 x 18.4 inch" on ThermalTake's site. So both cases are huge!

30 liters for SD1 and 32 liters for S1. What a joke.

Not interesting at all, boring design. And worst of all, huge

If these were mini-ITX cases I might agree with you guys. But they're not, they're microATX, and 30L is about the sweet spot for size/capability in that form factor. Much below that and you start having to make significant compromises.

For reference, the TJ08-E is around 30L, and is about as small as you can go while still using full-size heatsinks, multiple 3.5" HDDs, decent watercooling, etc. Sizing down from that gets you to SG09 territory (23L), but that has some real limitations as far as drives and lack of watercooling capability. The Prodigy M sits somewhere between the two. At the other end, you have mATX cases in the 40L range like the Define Mini and 350D, which allow you do pretty much whatever you want in terms of drives, W/C, etc.

It actually looks like they revamped the Thermaltake VF1000 chassis, which was a nice, modular (albeit huge) computer case. I think it would look better if they dropped the ATX power supply support; the 5.25" drive bays are arguable. Ultimately, I'd still go with a Sugo SG05 with external accessories if I needed more drives, etc. I just can't deal with a case that deep anymore.

I thought this thread was about SFF cases... damn.

Typical Thermaltake. I've never been interested in one of their cases because most suffer from one or more of the following:
- loud/childish outer design
- cheap materials
- dated internal design

These two cases seem to have two of the latter.
I'd rather spend money at Silverstone, Coolermaster, Lian-Li (although some SFF cases are real crap), BitFenix or Fractal.

If these were mini-ITX cases I might agree with you guys. But they're not, they're microATX, and 30L is about the sweet spot for size/capability in that form factor. Much below that and you start having to make significant compromises.

For reference, the TJ08-E is around 30L, and is about as small as you can go while still using full-size heatsinks, multiple 3.5" HDDs, decent watercooling, etc. Sizing down from that gets you to SG09 territory (23L), but that has some real limitations as far as drives and lack of watercooling capability. The Prodigy M sits somewhere between the two. At the other end, you have mATX cases in the 40L range like the Define Mini and 350D, which allow you do pretty much whatever you want in terms of drives, W/C, etc.

Well, to me, the pursuit for small size loses much of its practical purpose <Insert picture of that guy with the NCASE M1 at the airport> after a certain size/weight, and that's around the size of SG09. I believe in m-ITX and ATX tower/full tower combination but I can't see the purpose for anything in-between. TJ08-E +is an amazing case but+ also falls in that category.

Last edited:

Necere, the Lanbox Lite I bought many years ago has similar dimensions, and actually a bit smaller. And I believe the internal layout has not changed much in all these years. Thermaltake just failed in innovation.

Last edited:
Back