Thermaltake Level 10 Unboxing @ [H]

You might be a redneck if your gun safe is bigger than your refrigerator :rolleyes:

it has nothing to do with being a redneck....it's called "being prepared for the zombie apocalypse"!

or in more "down-to-earth & believable" terms, the "Obamalypse".

the day we let him or anyone else take away our guns is the day America is no longer America, and would likely also be the day we get attacked from every other country that doesn't have the balls to do it now.

but back on topic, that's an unbelievably ugly, and far too expensive case.

And it's good to see that they take steps to make sure that not even UPS can destroy it in transit.

UPS can destroy ANY package if they put their minds to it.....if you get a package from UPS that isn't destroyed, it's just because it was packed/delivered by UPS employees that were too lazy to do the job right...... :D

Kyle has a cool American accent. Would be good in cowboy and injun movies.

The case is very cool too but too much money for me to spend on a case.

UPS can destroy ANY package if they put their minds to it.....if you get a package from UPS that isn't destroyed, it's just because it was packed/delivered by UPS employees that were too lazy to do the job right...... :D

That is why I make sure FedEx is shipping my packages when I order from Newegg,... even if I have to pay more for shipping. Have not had a issue.

The Level 10 is a nice case, and I'm glad Thermaltake had the courage to produce it. But after living with it for a couple of months, I see a number of niggling irritations, some of which seem to be the result of simple cost-cutting(!), and some simply poor design decisions. Bear in mind that the whole reason for this case's existence that it looks cool, and it does that very well. Functionally, though, you'll do a lot better with an HAF 932 for a fraction of the price.

Just looked up that HAF 932 and it looks like it would be noisy with that huge open grill on the side.

The Level 10 is a nice case, and I'm glad Thermaltake had the courage to produce it. But after living with it for a couple of months, I see a number of niggling irritations, some of which seem to be the result of simple cost-cutting(!), and some simply poor design decisions. Bear in mind that the whole reason for this case's existence that it looks cool, and it does that very well. Functionally, though, you'll do a lot better with an HAF 932 for a fraction of the price.

You should give the Corsair 800D and 700D a look. It is a pleasure to work in, maybe the best thought out case I've gotten my hands on. The only way Corsair could one-up themselves is if they could release a mid-tower version of those cases without compromising fit and finish, cable routing, layout, etc etc.

The biggest mistake that I've made this year so far, is buying this case. The case has a wicked look and it is one of the coolest case in the market, but is not worth your money. The main reasons are:
- Extremely overpriced.
-Tall CPU coolers won't fit.
-Long PSU's won't fit.
-Very difficult to install a water cooling system.
-Need very long cables to power the video card.
-Need long SATA cables.
-No USB 3 and Firewire
-Very tall case. You'll need at least 27" under the desk.

If you are going to spend $700 on this case my recommendation is not to, use that money buying an Intel i7 980x 6 core processor or buy one of the Lian Li cases and the extra money in another piece of hardware.

Just looked up that HAF 932 and it looks like it would be noisy with that huge open grill on the side.

In my experience-- admittedly with the AMD "special edition" version, which lacks the side fan-- it's rather quiet. The Level 10's noise will obviously depend on your cooling setup, but one surprising thing is how noisy hard drives (like previous generation 150G Raptors) are: your drives bolt to a solid metal bracket which then slides into what turns out to be a pretty good resonance chamber...

You should give the Corsair 800D and 700D a look. It is a pleasure to work in, maybe the best thought out case I've gotten my hands on.

Oh, I did. But the Level 10 looks so much cooler, and frankly the 800D looks kinda boring. But although I've only looked at 'em in stores I'd readily concede it's the superior case from a functional standpoint.

The biggest mistake that I've made this year so far, is buying this case. The case has a wicked look and it is one of the coolest case in the market, but is not worth your money. The main reasons are:
- Extremely overpriced.
-Tall CPU coolers won't fit.
-Long PSU's won't fit.
-Very difficult to install a water cooling system.
-Need very long cables to power the video card.
-Need long SATA cables.
-No USB 3 and Firewire
-Very tall case. You'll need at least 27" under the desk.

And which of these were you surprised by? I mean, didn't you research the case before spending all that money? I did.

Oh, I did. But the Level 10 looks so much cooler, and frankly the 800D looks kinda boring. But although I've only looked at 'em in stores I'd readily concede it's the superior case from a functional standpoint.

That's cool. I personally don't care for "flashy" cases so the Corsair ones are right up my alley. Its not like they're ugly either; fit and finish is excellent, design is clean, paint job is great, and it is actually very well proportioned for something so large. And as you said, functionally they are excellent (IMO among the best out there).

Anyway, that's where the whole "taste" thing comes into play, and the Level 10 is clearly made for people that want something way far out there in terms of visual design. :)

Ugliest case ever. I can only assume that Chris Bangle from BMW had something to do with the design of this thing (would explain a few things at least). Its literally like a board with motherboard standoffs on it and containers that close over the components.

Ugliest case ever. I can only assume that Chris Bangle from BMW had something to do with the design of this thing (would explain a few things at least). Its literally like a board with motherboard standoffs on it and containers that close over the components.

If you think that, you must have missed the entire decade 1985-1995 as far as computer cases go. Hint: everything was beige. Everything.

But even today there are much uglier cases. Check out the Lian Li PC-888 for an example.

And nah, it doesn't look like a Bangle design. No flame-surfacing.

Conversation overheard at Thermaltake:

"Hey, let's make a fugly case and sell it for $700 dollars and then laugh at people who post it on forums!"

"Cool! You're a genius! Huh, huhuh, huhuhuh!"

That is an awesome case. Very modern and futuristic. People who are bitching doesn't know shit what a good case is all about.

Last edited:
Form over function is not a good case.

Depends on what you mean by "function", I guess. Building a computer in this case is more trouble than many other cases; but at the end of the day, your components are going to work the same whether they're in a Level 10, an HAF 932, an 800D, or some ten-year-old Chenming case you picked up for $5 at a flea market.

Sure, it's harder to build in, but the hours spent installing components pale in comparison to the hours spent looking at it; so I think it's worth the effort. Not that that's stopped me from minor customizations...

caprica2.jpg

Depends on what you mean by "function", I guess. Building a computer in this case is more trouble than many other cases; but at the end of the day, your components are going to work the same whether they're in a Level 10, an HAF 932, an 800D, or some ten-year-old Chenming case you picked up for $5 at a flea market.

Sure, it's harder to build in, but the hours spent installing components pale in comparison to the hours spent looking at it; so I think it's worth the effort. Not that that's stopped me from minor customizations...

Nice. I like the translucent cover for the motherboard chamber.

Conversation overheard at Thermaltake:

"Hey, let's make a fugly case and sell it for $700 dollars and then laugh at people who post it on forums!"

"Cool! You're a genius! Huh, huhuh, huhuhuh!"

Simply hilarious.

thats one hell of a beauty...save the cost.

Good luck with the install, I'll be very interested to see what the thermals look like!

Just read http://hothardware.com/Articles/Thermaltake-Level-10-Review/ and was very impressed overall. I don't think people realise how big this case is. It fit a 5970 without any problems and you don't have to remove the rear fan to get it to fit.. They also used a 120mm HSF tower with no issues. I don't think size will be an issue except for a few HSFs.
The only thing that would worry me would be PSU cable length. Some areas might be unreachable w/ some PSUs. Oh, and the $700 price tag.

The irony is that when SSDs become really affordable, the HDD slots on this will be "obsolete."

The irony is that when SSDs become really affordable, the HDD slots on this will be "obsolete."

that could be said about anything.... but that fact of the matter is, this case will be LONG forgotten by the time they have a 1TB SSD drive out for $100, because tell then I will stay with HDD for mass storage and SSD for my main system ;)

^^ I was wondering the same thing. I was looking forward to hearing about using this case with water cooling.

Not sure what you're talking about?
My two OCZ Vertex SSD's fit just fine into the Level 10.

The HDD trays also have mounting holes for 2.5" HDD's or SSD's.

I had no idea Kyle is white!! :eek: j/k :p Good to finally hear his voice and see part of him. :D

The shipping weight is probably quite a bit more than 50 pounds. He said it's 50 pounds, but if the (inner) Thermaltake box is 24 kg, which is about 53 pounds, then UPS' outer box is negative 3 pounds? Now that's cool! :p

Oh yeah, the case looks pretty spiffy. :cool:

caprica2.jpg

Can we buy this case with the translucent cover ?

You can't buy it that way from Thermaltake, but you can do what I did: unbolt side the panel, take it to your local plastics shop, and tell 'em to duplicate it in 1/8" smoked Plexiglas.

Monday , March 22, 2010.. Author - Kyle Bennett "We will be doing a build this weekend and following up with our readers letting you know what we think of the Level 10 after we have had a chance to get elbow deep in it."

lost_weekend.jpg

LOL!!!!!

I wouldn't mind seeing the build in this BMW for the home office. But since I will realistically never own one more than likely I'm not extremely concerned. I just hope it offers more airflow than outward appearances would lead you to assume.

Hmmmm.. Here's a Top Gear style challenge. Can you buy a real BMW, used of course, That you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen in, in public, where everything works on it and is street inspection legal for cheaper than you can build a current high end single CPU 2-way SLI rig? (Thinking 6 Core i7 and 2x nVidia 480's or a single AMD 5970)

Back