Thermaltake Level 10 GT Computer Chassis Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Thermaltake Level 10 GT Computer Chassis Review - While certainly not new The Thermaltake Level 10 is still very much an eye catching and original chassis. Thermaltake has updated this chassis icon with the new Level 10 GT. This time the price is down in the mid-$200 making this GT a lot easier on the wallet than the previous Level 10. Is there function to its form, or is it all show?

Aesthetically I am not a fan of this case. Interior does seem nice to work with. However I am in love with my SILVERSTONE Fortress Series FT02B-W. It has tons of room, I like how the mobo is twisted 90 degrees, the cable management is great, and it is one of the best cooling cases I have had while being one of the quietest. The Fortress FT02b-w is a little bit more money, but I still consider it within the same price range. I thought this might be helpful if someone was reading this review because they are looking for a new case.

i really hate the usb 3.0 connection situation. isnt there a header standard? why dont they use that and have an adapter that connects to the header to allow you to connect it to the back of the motherboard (if your motherboard lacks the header)? running it out the back of the case looks dumb.

i really hate the usb 3.0 connection situation. isnt there a header standard? why dont they use that and have an adapter that connects to the header to allow you to connect it to the back of the motherboard (if your motherboard lacks the header)? running it out the back of the case looks dumb.

I think it is related to the lack of official Intel support for USB3. As is, the USB3 controller is around the back of the mobo, near the io shield. I don't know a lot about mobo design, but as a stand-alone controller, I don't think it could have a mobo header AND rear ports. If it were on the SB, however, it could(?).

Most motherboards support USB 3.0 through ports on the rear of the board. New ones are starting to use headers located on the board as is the case with USB 2.0.

Rather than segment the market for their case, Thermaltake took the path guaranteed to work which is the extension cable system employed on this case. It is totally understandable but I wish they would have given the design a bit more polish.

Most motherboards support USB 3.0 through ports on the rear of the board. New ones are starting to use headers located on the board as is the case with USB 2.0.

Rather than segment the market for their case, Thermaltake took the path guaranteed to work which is the extension cable system employed on this case. It is totally understandable but I wish they would have given the design a bit more polish.

why not have the header standard on the case, then if your motherboard doesnt have a header you can use an adapter (header -> extension cable -> back of motherboard)? on a case of this price that would be nice.

why not have the header standard on the case, then if your motherboard doesnt have a header you can use an adapter (header -> extension cable -> back of motherboard)? on a case of this price that would be nice.

Understood. It is not this way in this case. I don't see what debating it is going to accomplish. Marc gave you the reason for why it is done the way it is done....

Is it just me or does this look like just a normal tower case made to look like the original?

Aesthetically I am not a fan of this case. Interior does seem nice to work with. However I am in love with my SILVERSTONE Fortress Series FT02B-W. It has tons of room, I like how the mobo is twisted 90 degrees, the cable management is great, and it is one of the best cooling cases I have had while being one of the quietest. The Fortress FT02b-w is a little bit more money, but I still consider it within the same price range. I thought this might be helpful if someone was reading this review because they are looking for a new case.

I have a Raven II, very similar case, and its great.

I'm a little surprised that the case got the silver with the unresolved HD caddy backplane problem. Would a new backplane fix the intermittant problems? Backplane quality is always a critical area, and even minor variations in tolerances for connectors or wiring can make them unreliable, as you obviously saw.

Was there any resolution other than simply not using the backplane? It seems like this is a pretty big deal, not being able to use the drive caddy system.

I'm probably the only one, but I don't like how it looks. I'm more into the simple exterior design like the Corsair 800D.

Only someone with no taste will buy something like that!

they will never design something like the original!
what do they think? they are not BMW!!

This is the real thing!

level1.jpg

can beat that!!

If this thing can transform into a robot (preferably one of the autobots), I'll might consider it...

I saw this at the Microcenter and everything was falling apart. I do not recommend this case.

I saw this at the Microcenter and everything was falling apart. I do not recommend this case.

Well, it IS modular and being a demo unit with a bunch of retards man handling things I'm sure it was "falling apart".

I was considering either an NZXT Phantom or a Corsair 600 (next build I really want to go with white on black color) but saw the Level 10 GT Snow Edition, and for a guy who has never spent more than $100 on a case (P180b currently), I must say I am surprised I am so drawn to this case and would even consider it !!

What sells it for me:
SATA backplane
GPU cooler fan - no cables !! (I hate opening the case w/ that umbilical power cable hanging on)
dual radiator capable - I was going with the H80 but I can now look at the H100 instead.

Anyhoo, I am still mulling it over, but if I buy any other case, I would eventually regret what it doesn't offer and what the Tt GT does.

Just built a system in the "snow" version of this case. It's fantastic. Super easy to work with, there isn't a silly usb extension system, the header plugged right into my asus z68 board.

Couldn't be happier with the case. It is a bit "loud" but It was a nice change from my old antec p183.

Favorite features: Incredibly easy wire/build management, hot swap hard drives are a blessing, great airflow, absolutely spectacular hinged door.

^^ Very similar to my upcoming build. Went from a P180b to the Snow Edition GT. I have most of the pieces for the build, but need to order the H80 tonight. I initially wanted to go with the H100, but seeing as how I keep the case in a desk and the hot air wouldn't get vented out but rather up, I went with the H80 instead. Also, I hated to lose that top mounted 200mm fan, and since the rear 120 wasn't a color fan, I didn't lose anything by going with the H80.
I'm really looking forward to putting this thing together this weekend, but I'm sure I'll run into a snag at some point. Still waiting to catch the Sapphire 6950 Toxic when Newegg finally has it in stock for more than 30 minutes :(

Does the front fan have any dust filters? I watch some review videos on youtube and so far only the side and bottom have washable filters.

Does the front fan have any dust filters? I watch some review videos on youtube and so far only the side and bottom have washable filters.

Hmmm good question. I can't find one, and all the rest are easily found, so I'd have to say no to this question. The front drive bay arrangement makes it a challenge to include the front filter on that fan I would imagine

My only problem with this case has been that blasted PCI slot cover ... I took it off but can't figure out how to get it to stay back on now ! :mad:

Hmmm good question. I can't find one, and all the rest are easily found, so I'd have to say no to this question. The front drive bay arrangement makes it a challenge to include the front filter on that fan I would imagine

My only problem with this case has been that blasted PCI slot cover ... I took it off but can't figure out how to get it to stay back on now ! :mad:

Yes there are dust filters, just had to pop the whole front panel off to see it. Its on the mesh itself along with a big piece of filter. Look : http://www.mnpctech.com/casemodblog/2011/03/09/thermaltake-level-10-gt-case-review/

Oh and btw, has anyone tried to change the side panel fan yet? Am planning to do it but seeing that the fan wires are soldered to the side panel, it might take a monumental task to get it going with a new fan(Or i might be wrong as i havent really pop the panel open and only have had an angled view).

Last edited:
Well least the price came down, still not a case I would personally buy.. Then again I'm all for Lian Li's, although I've always had interest in getting the FT02 =)

I just built a new rig using this case and I an honestly say it is the most beautiful I've ever encountered...pristine cable management, spacious, awesome design, usb3.0, etc etc

Looks especially cool with a g1 assassin and green leds :)

i thought about getting this , but it seems to look more like a carry around electronic computer suitcase. note book pc's are out dated, this is the new suitcase pc. (requires outlet in public areas)

i like thermal take and for some i am sure this catches the eye, but for me, it doesnt do so, but i do love the qaulity of products they make and i like seeing new products :D

Is there any way to retain the top 200mm fan and still use a corsair h100 in this case? I am particularly speaking of the snow edition. any help is appreciated, thanks!

If I had the money I think I would upgrade my comp before buying this case but it's epic

This case seems like too much of a hassle even though everything is laid out simple. What case do you guys recommend that promotes high end cooling. Aesthetics are a major plus!

I'm probably the only one, but I don't like how it looks. I'm more into the simple exterior design like the Corsair 800D.

No, you are not. It is horrible. I love the drive caddie system, but would rather continue to fight with my Antec eleven hundred then get this thing....

Well, I can at least say the cases' later updates (I presume some came about) made sure to implement a proper USB 3.0 header. Only problem was that I absolutely couldn't get it to cooperate with my motherboard and while migrating to a new case I noticed the header had plucked along a pin on the motherboard, but eh.

The new case doesn't have USB 3.0 ports on the frontpanel, so I'm not bothered.

Back