Thermaltake Core W100 Super Tower Chassis Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Thermaltake Core W100 Super Tower Chassis Review - The W100 SUper Tower Chassis is not small and it is not cheap. It even comes fully unassembled. It does however look to fit the needs of the most hardcore water cooling enthusiasts however. The W100 is likely the most versatile case we have ever reviewed in terms of fan and radiator compatibility.

Im a bit underwhelmed for $300.

The 5.25" slots for burners are a joke for the install method.
It doesnt support SSI EEB mobos, only E-atx. So good luck running a workstation dual cpu setup.
6+ hds, but no backplane or hot swap bays. That is gonna be a nightmare if you were going for a media server route.

So for an extra $150-200, you get a case that can fit a massive amount of fans.

Do $100 with a 200mm side fan not support 2-3 titans?

reminds me of mountain mods cases. albeit this should have better reach to end user via the distribution channel of thermaltake.

I like it.

I really like all that space behind the motherboard tray. I also like what they did with the drive bays and freeing up the front of the case for a radiator. All that space up top, too.

Personally, I agree with Steve when he says that he'd prefer to mount the drive behind the motherboard tray - all that space is great for cable management but would also be great for disks, and might allow the case to be a bit smaller yet still fit a sick amount of radiators. No removable motherboard tray at this price is a little meh as well, but sheer cavernousness, cavernosity? makes that less of a problem.

If I ever see this thing on the FS/FT forum, I might bite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be nice to see a model scaled 75-80% of the W100 as this is to big /heavy IMO for most home users ,even water cooled .
I actually like you have to assemble it as long as its quality materials.
So where's the W80 coming out :)

reminds me of mountain mods cases. albeit this should have better reach to end user via the distribution channel of thermaltake.

Yar, that's what I was reminded of too. It seems like Thermaltake has a bit of a knack for being 'inspired' by other case designs.

It looks like it might be possible to use a 360mm rad on top and in front and still use put in a bluray drive, would that be correct?

Way too much effort for the money or performance. No hot swap backplane in a case like that these days is just cheap & lazy.

I think it's pretty sweet case. It would fit my current system in it with a breeze and allow for expansion. It should come with fans at least 2 I don't see why they didn't include any. I'm ok with the fact you have to assemble it. Don't see why they didn't include disk mounts behind the tray with that much space back there, but that's ok velcro works just fine for SSDs. Motherboard tray fits just about anything.

I dunno that case is massive, probably wouldn't even fit under my desk.

Yeah. Just not what I'm looking for.

Moderately happy with my Core V9 case though. More flexible...

That is quite a hefty price for the case and with no case fans included and other points mentioned by other users, it's understandable why there's some negativity regarding this case. This case fills that niche of users who want that amount of customization with all the watercooling possibilities and if the price point was lower, there would be more individuals interested. I currently have a Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra which I purchased years ago and if I was looking for a new full tower case, this would be on my list.

That said, I really like the reviews that you guys do here on HardOCP and a majority of my purchases are based on them. Keep up the awesome job.

They want me to build the case myself after spending that kind of money? Not gonna happen.

I'm of the mind that there should be no wasted space in a good, clean build. You would have to REALLY fill this thing up if you wanted to follow that philosophy. Though, I would LOVE to see what someone would do with this thing fully built up with quad CFX or SLI and packed-to-the-nose with 80mm thick radiators with fans in push-pull...

Been waiting for ever for this, at some point I expected to come out disappointed in the case but that wasn't the outcome. Very nice case, I may be buying this soon.

Thanks for the great review.

They want me to build the case myself after spending that kind of money? Not gonna happen.

When shipping large items like this, weight is not the only consideration for shipping fees. If you ship products regularly, whether by USPS, UPS, FedEx, OTR or LTL, space or volume is a bigger consideration. A simple Christmas package being sent from North Carolina to Texas went down in price by the dollar per inch of height cut down over the same box of a greater height; $14.00 at 6" lower on the height measurement compared to $23.00. Large enclosures are often shipped flat packed (unassembled) to drastically reduce shipping charges.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could anyone tell me, please, what's the exactly height without the rollers / wheels ???
Thank you

Back