Thermaltake Core P3 – A Different Kind of Build

Discussion in 'Worklogs' started by David Deyarmin, Mar 11, 2018.

1. David Deyarmin

David Deyarmin n00bie

used to build computers in the 90s but then work got in the way so from the early 2000s til just recently I bought off the shelf units for productivity work and some light gaming.

When my most recent HP AOI died and I bought a simple economy gaming computer to replace it but I had to migrate the guts over to a slim line mid case which meant I had to do some research and I discovered a whole new world of case modding, which reignited my desire to build.

After looking at builds all over the net I decided I wanted to do something different.

A lot of builds concentrate on the cooling system or some extravagant themed case.

I wanted to showcase the actual hardware and I wanted to do it in a balanced minimalist way with the MB and GPU on the front and the power supply and liquid cooling system on the back

I started with a Thermaltake Core P3 Chassis

Core%20P3%20001_zpsnorw43rn.jpg

To make this work I had to rotate the chassis 90 degrees and use the back as the front which required a lot of internal and external modifications to the metal chassis

Core%20P3%20004_zpsoowvalwn.jpg

Final Assembly has begun

Core%20P3%20005_zpsi4190z9s.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  2. David Deyarmin

David Deyarmin n00bie

3. David Deyarmin

David Deyarmin n00bie

spugm1r3, ZeqOBpf6 and shadowlord like this.
  4. David Deyarmin

David Deyarmin n00bie

I guess no one knows what to say about this :)

5. Spaceninja

Spaceninja [H]ard|Gawd

It does look better that way. I've never cared for the way the PCI-e cards are mounted in that case. Clean mod, I like it.

6. David Deyarmin

David Deyarmin n00bie

Because of the radical placement of the power supply relative to the mother board I need to shorten one of my power supply harnesses

I was able to route the ATX and VGA power harnesses without modification but I had to shorten the Mother Board Harness

All of my cables will be hidden so there was no reason to order a custom shortened harness so I ordered the tools and supplies to do it myself.

Here are some videos that describe the process

7. David Deyarmin

David Deyarmin n00bie

I worked on the extra illuminated IO cover for the right side this week end

Due to the different orientation I had to de-solder the factory wire that connected both covers and then solder a new longer wire in it’s place

You can also see the 3-D printed bracket parts required to make it work with the right side of the mother board

I still need to solder a jumper wire to the left cover so I can connect them in parallel that way they will be have equal illumination.

IO%20Covers%20003_zpsof9qwwvi.jpg [/URL​

]

Core%20P3%20007_zpspr8uquxb.jpg [/URL​

]

Attached Files:

spugm1r3 likes this.
  8. David Deyarmin

David Deyarmin n00bie

I finished the first stage of my build

Core%20P3%20008_zps3vc7dfgv.jpg

I’m still waiting on the 3.5” monitor for the PCI-E Slot Area and I have to fabricate a fan mount for the top but it is far enough along that I can mount it in my cabinet and make it my primary computer

Here are some other assembly pictures

Core%20P3%20009_zpss5mhyelv.jpg

Archaea likes this.
  9. Archaea

Archaea [H]ardForum Junkie

That turned out well. I couldn’t see the vision at first - but I like the final product.

10. David Deyarmin

David Deyarmin n00bie

Thanks

Some pics with the 3.5" monitor mounted to the MB

Core%20P3%20012_zpswxhfmau6.jpg Core%20P3%20013_zpssg5v3cbb.jpg

11. spugm1r3

spugm1r3 [H]ard|Gawd

While I love the idea of the monitor (I'm assuming for temps/voltages), I think the monitor glow detracts from the finished product. You have some really excellent balance with the lighting, and I love that you showcased the components, but I'm not in love with the monitor (at least, not in photos).

Cheers on the novel build!

12. AwakenedBeing

AwakenedBeing [H]Lite

Great work on the build!