Thermaltake Big Typhoon.....coolio....

TheRapture

Supreme [H]ardness
Literally. Very, very quiet even compared to the Zalman 7700Cu (which isn't loud)....the best thing is, if you have the space, it runs cooler than a Zalman. It IS HUGE however, on my Thermaltake Tsunami case with a side window and 80mm side intake fan, the top of the Typhoon sits about 3/4" under it, which really is OK since the cpu fan gets a nice cool dose of outside air. Smaller cases WILL have clearance issues with the side panels possibly.

Results? Well, with the Zalman 7700Cu, and the X2 clocked at 2600mhz and 1.45v, I would see max load temps of 58c-59c. My house is a bit warmer than average and I live in south Texas.....it's warm around here :p

With the Typhoon swapout, I am getting 52c to 53c max load temps under the same conditions. Very nice 6c to 7c drop in temps. AND it is indeed ALOT less noise than the Zalman that was runnning at 100% fan speed....hard to believe Zalman is no longer the "quiet" leader....it's a good cooler no doubt, just not the best, depending on your conditions.

Overall, very impressed with the TT unit....heatpipes rock I guess. I was going to go back to watercooling with a new radiator, but I think I am going to hold off a bit now, considering this cooler gets me 2c cooler temps than my "ultra quiet" 92mm custom radiator and Hydor L35 pump I was using a while back.

sweet. i recently updated the bios on my evga mobo which included fixes for temp readings. i was used to opening my guard and seeing idle temps of 38-40 and load temps of 50-51. :confused: with the new bios and new and improved temp readings, my idle gets as low as 26 and load temps haven't gone over 41 yet. i ran the prime stress and that's when i hit 41 but i only let it run for 2 min.

i'm curious....if i ran the prime torture test with both cores being stressed will temps be generally higher being that both cores are "working"?

congrats man and be sure to post pics in the thread thats in my sig :p

I ran the TT Big Typhoon for a while and was very pleased with it as well. Todate, it's the best air cooler I've ran on my Winchester A64 system...................... :eek:

Hmmm. $50 shipped @ ZZF, $10 more at compusa, but I get instant gratification.

I like quiet... but $60 for a heatsink? That is getting out of control. I've spent $30 before, but $60 is 3 lapdances...

Burticus said:
I like quiet... but $60 for a heatsink? That is getting out of control. I've spent $30 before, but $60 is 3 lapdances...

Lapdances are "instant gratification" as well :D

Seriously, that Typhoon is BIG....and quiet....

If you want to make that BigTyphoon even quieter and still keep temps cool, swap out that Thermaltake fan for a Nexus or another "real" silent fan. As with all Thermaltake fans that I've come onto contact with, it is noisier than the specs say.

got any pics of it mounted? i bought the zelman yesterday, but i don't think it's gonna clear my northbridge

vividpearl said:
got any pics of it mounted? i bought the zelman yesterday, but i don't think it's gonna clear my northbridge

It is a beotch to mount. Forget trying to mount it with the mobo installed in a case where there is minimal room above the mobo. Even if you premount it, then you will probably have issues of getting to the mobo screws around the heatsink. On an A8V you can see the size of this monster:

Just getting a screwdriver to the screws at a decent angle is a challenge:

I put the screws in with the phillips head on the bottom, under the mobo. Then the hex standoffs on from the top and tighten them to the bottom bracket. At this point the bottom plate can still be removed from the mobo. Set the mobo bottom down onto a towel on a hard surface, then set the top heatsink/hold-down assembly onto the screws, then install the nuts. Tighten down to the force you want and voila!!!! No screwdriver needed from the top, plus you can now remove the heatsink with the mobo installed if you need to.

vividpearl said:

And I will take some close up pics this evening and post them, I just got my new digicam in today.....

TheRapture said:
I put the screws in with the phillips head on the bottom, under the mobo. Then the hex standoffs on from the top and tighten them to the bottom bracket. At this point the bottom plate can still be removed from the mobo. Set the mobo bottom down onto a towel on a hard surface, then set the top heatsink/hold-down assembly onto the screws, then install the nuts. Tighten down to the force you want and voila!!!! No screwdriver needed from the top, plus you can now remove the heatsink with the mobo installed if you need to.

Very good idea. I'll remember that one. If the screws aren't too long, you could probably use brass hollow hand screws (like the ones that came with my Zalman) instead of the hex standoffs to make tightening easier:

c1001 said:
Very good idea. I'll remember that one. If the screws aren't too long, you could probably use brass hollow hand screws (like the ones that came with my Zalman) instead of the hex standoffs to make tightening easier:

You know, after I tightened down the nuts, I found some of those that would have worked perfect.... :rolleyes: Hehe, I was too lazy to undo the nuts at that point, I was itching to get it all back together and running....

TheRapture said:
I did basicly the same thing ecept that I used brass knurl nuts that come from a DD water block. It works great and makes it super easy to install any block or HSF. The backside of my MoBo tray is also modded so I can access the back of the CPU area without removing anything.

143ug.jpg

157ak.jpg

197nl.jpg

omg...that thing is massive....one thing i'm afraid is since it's on it's side, isn't there A TON of stress on that area? probably be ideal if the comp was laying down i guess...should i return my zalman copper 7700 for it? i bought the zalman vga cooler and it rocks...way quieter than the damn cast piece of junk that comes on it stock

i'm afraid that the zalman cpu fan i bought wont clear the northbridge....i have a intel mobo and the northbridge heatsink is huge (i got the intel mobo with a package, it wasn't my choice)... zalman or thermaltake? i know the thermaltake will fit because of the clearance that the heatpipes give

EDIT: FIXED ALL THE DAMN "A"s

You might try the new Zalman 9500, but it doesn't cool as well as the TT big Typhoon. But the Zalman 9500 should also clear pretty well also.

dsc004834vc.jpg

dsc004823ui.jpg

vividpearl said:
omg...that thing is massive....one thing i'm afraid is since it's on it's side, isn't there A TON of stress on that area?

The Typhoon comes with a backplate, which I did not use since the A8V has one mounted. This spreads the mass of the heatsink over a wider area on the mobo. Have not heard of anyone getting a cracked mobo from this monster. I would not move this thing around in a bumpy car without the case on its side though.

vividpearl said:
omg...that thing is massive....one thing i'm afraid is since it's on it's side, isn't there A TON of stress on that area? probably be ideal if the comp was laying down i guess...should i return my zelman copper 7700 for it? i bought the zelman vga cooler and it rocks...way quieter than the damn cast piece of junk that comes on it stock

i'm afraid that the zelman cpu fan i bought wont clear the northbridge....i have a intel mobo and the northbridge heatsink is huge (i got the intel mobo with a package, it wasn't my choice)... zelman or thermaltake? i know the thermaltake will fit because of the clearance that the heatpipes give
zalman dood zAlman

vividpearl said:
omg...that thing is massive....one thing i'm afraid is since it's on it's side, isn't there A TON of stress on that area?
... zelman or thermaltake? i know the thermaltake will fit because of the clearance that the heatpipes give

The TT is lighter than the 7700Cu Zalman....and it cools better, that's a fact.

Some pics coming soon....here is a test of my new digicam....looks pretty swanky, should take some badass pics...

http://img433.imageshack.us/my.php?image=keys6zd.jpg

Great to hear all these good feedbacks! It makes me feel a bit better, too...
Just got back from Atlanta... I must say, you guys have the best roads out there... silky smooth... =D

Oh I wish I had those thumbscrews to when I install these mofos on and off for testing...

Tt Tech said:
Great to hear all these good feedbacks! It makes me feel a bit better, too...
Just got back from Atlanta... I must say, you guys have the best roads out there... silky smooth... =D

Oh I wish I had those thumbscrews to when I install these mofos on and off for testing...

Good to see some insiders here :D

Here are the pics of my setup....

side pic:
http://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image=case29sp.jpg

mounting pic:
http://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ttmount12xe.jpg

another mounting pic:
http://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ttmount29cw.jpg

big cooler!!!:
http://img144.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tt27tu.jpg

Still impressed with the low noise level of this cooler, and how well it works. The Zalman 7700Cu was good, this is better. :D I am getting a great overclock and the delta from idle to load is only 18c, pretty good for air on this type of heat output, and my higher than average ambient temp.

http://img247.imageshack.us/my.php?image=x2oc3ww.jpg

what program do you use to get CPU idle and load temps? where can i get it? does that program get GPU temps as well???

the Zalman 9500 is much quieter then the 7700. It is because it blows comfortably sideways instead of straight down into the turbulant space of the motherboard.

Zalman is still about quiet, the 9500 is a good cooler for sure. I replaced my LED fan with a regular black zalman one so it even looks serious now too.

what program do you use to get CPU idle and load temps? where can i get it? does that program get GPU temps as well???

liverpool03 said:

Your mobo may have a temp monitoring feature for the CPU. Speedfan and a couple of other programs provide a Windows based temp monitor, but you have to make an educated guess which temp is the CPU, as temps are reported as "Temp 1", etc.

Easiest way to get your GPU temp is: Control Panel -> Display -> Settings -> Advanced

One quick question for you. Is this cooler quieter than the stock HSF that comes w/the retail A64? I really like the idea of efficient/quiet cooling but I want to make sure that "quiet" doesn't just mean "quiet for such a giant HSF".

16db...it's QUIET...it's a really good investment in my opinion...just a warning though...it's BIG..make sure you got a case that can accomodate this beast...

_Korruption_ said:
Falsely rated.

It's quiet, but not 16dBA-quiet.

But VERY quiet indeed, less noise than a slow speed 120mm high quality case fan....even my hard drives accessing are louder....

TheRapture said:
But VERY quiet indeed, less noise than a slow speed 120mm high quality case fan....even my hard drives accessing are louder....

Replace the Thermaltake with a quality Nexus or Yate Loon fan. It will be noticeably quieter than the Thermaltake while providing good airflow. Personal experience.

c1001 said:
Replace the Thermaltake with a quality Nexus or Yate Loon fan. It will be noticeably quieter than the Thermaltake while providing good airflow. Personal experience.

To be honest, I would not notice because my case fans (120mm slow) and the hard drives are already a bit louder....

Back