Thermalright XP-120 Installation

Adionik

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi, I recently bought one of these and I had a question for those who have one...

Do I need that special K8 mounting bracket to install it, or can it work on just the 4 stock clips on the MB?

Is there anything tricky about installing it? Things to watch out for?

Thanks

You may want to take the motherboard out of the case when you try it the first time. The hooks can be hard to get to in a case . Just keep good preasure on top of the sink to keep it from rocking when you start hooking the 4 hooks. I think it comes with a special bracket for 939 MBs

Amiteriver said:
You may want to take the motherboard out of the case when you try it the first time. The hooks can be hard to get to in a case . Just keep good preasure on top of the sink to keep it from rocking when you start hooking the 4 hooks. I think it comes with a special bracket for 939 MBs
Thanks, I was gonna take the mobo out, but i thought there was a special RM for 939. damnit, oh well.

The S939 bracket connects to the stock backplate. You will need it to use the heatsink. As for removing the mobo, from personal experience with my SI-120 it's not necessary, but if you have a case smaller than mine(Coolermaster Centurion 5) you may need to.

*points at sig*

It's going to be real tight, but don't worry, you can do it. :) I used the knife blade on my Leatherman to press down the clips because I couldn't manage it with my fingers (i think it was just because I couldn't get at the right angle with the mobo in the case).

I don't have a removable mobo tray so I installed it in the case... Not recommended, not recommended.

General Crespin said:
*points at sig*

It's going to be real tight, but don't worry, you can do it. :) I used the knife blade on my Leatherman to press down the clips because I couldn't manage it with my fingers (i think it was just because I couldn't get at the right angle with the mobo in the case).

I don't have a removable mobo tray so I installed it in the case... Not recommended, not recommended.
You put Thermaltake XP-120 in your sig... Fix it, now! :p

I broke down and ordered the K8 bracket, but thank you all for the advice. Now I just have to wait for my damn socket replacement and yate loon. sigh*

Adionik said:
I broke down and ordered the K8 bracket, but thank you all for the advice. Now I just have to wait for my damn socket replacement and yate loon. sigh*
The heatsink didn't come with the bracket?

The thing I do wiht my xp 90, is to clip one side in, then rock it over, and slot a screwdriver into one of the other clips, then clip it in. you will understand once it's done. it's significantly faster.

Zero82z said:
The heatsink didn't come with the bracket?
No, I ordered it from an OP on this site and I didn't get a bracket.

=\

It's not possible to mount this thing without the bracket. I already tried, and yeah. Not possible.

Back