Thermalright V1 7800GT

I recently had a bout of bad luck with my video card. I bought a 6800GT a little while back, and I bought a Thermalright V1 for it. The day I received the V1, the 6800GT died. So, I ship the card back, Newegg's out of stock, so they're refunding me. However, now the 7800GT is out... I'm looking at it seriously, instead of replacing with another 6800GT. The issue is, I really want to use the V1. Does anyone know of a reason why the V1 WON'T work on the 7800GT? It looks, from the dozens of pictures I've looked at, that the basic setup is the same on the 7800GT as it was on the 6x series, so it doesn't look like mounting is a problem. Any ideas on heat or such? Is the 7800GT cooler running, or does it just use less power?

Thanks in advance.

From what I've read, the 7800 series runs cooler, and overclocks better. It looks as if the V-1 would fit.

Well the 7800 has the same mounting as the 6800. The onlt thing I can see in the memory sinks may need some modding done to fit. You can also call them and ask if they have tested the card yet.

I have an email dialogue going with them, but it's been about a week since they emailed me saying they had a 7800GT on it's way, and to give them some time. I went ahead and ordered the card, it's an EVGA... I'll wait a bit, see if they email me with a positive... if I get nothing from them, I'll try it out.

Since I already had this HSF on my 6800GT (for almost four hours before the thing finally quit out... it had been having troubles I thought were heat related, turns out it was power related), I've used six of the eight ramsinks it came with, but I have an unopened package of Zalman ramsinks, which have the four angled sinks. I'll use what I have to, and get all the sinks on there :)

Back