Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 Revision B & C Review @ [H]

I can't say that I tried to be honest. The one that comes with the hsf is extremely quiet so I left it at full speed(1500rpm)

Just chiming in to say that this thing is a fantastic CPU cooler. My Q6600 now runs with a 30% OC at 100% load at the same temp it used to idle at at stock.

Hah!

Ok, just read through the entire thread.

Would people still say that the TRUE beats out the H50 at this point?

Still the best heatsink imo 3 years later..Venomous X is the replacement I believe.

I tried this with gold paste and buffed out the CPU head. I use a i7-980x and my idle temp is 3-6 C and under max load (prime95) it hits 21-25 C

Megahelem and the True's successor, the Venomous X (which looks identical to me) are good competitors but they are all pretty much dead even honestly. The real difference in the high end coolers is going to be what fan solution you use.

Just picked up the RT version on zipzoomfly, $57 with free S&H.

Installing on the P6T was a piece of cake.

the original TRUE was made for high speed fans and you can see that it really starts to catch up around 1600rpm

the NH-D14 and the Cogage Arrow win just because they are so huge, i like the true because its pretty narrow so it does not block your ram

Last edited:
I went with 2 Scythe S-Flex 1600rpm 120mm Fans.

64CFM and 27DB. They are quiet and push alot of air.

the original TRUE was made for high speed fans and you can see that it really starts to catch up around 1600rpm

the NH-D14 and the Cogage Arrow win just because they are so huge, i like the true because its pretty narrow so it does not block your ram

It's not just high speed that is a factor, high static pressure helps. A thicker fan at lower RPMs will be just as good as a slim or normal fan at higher RPMs.

I don't rate it at all compared to a tuniq tower 120 which can be just a couple of c behind even with the one fan at 1000rpm I was tempted to get a true a while ago but #1 they need lapping to shine and #2 they need 2x 1600 + rpm fans which is noisy compared to 1 fan at 1000rpm.
I think a lapped tuniq may well be neck and neck with a TRUE/venomous X.

I don't rate it at all compared to a tuniq tower 120 which can be just a couple of c behind even with the one fan at 1000rpm I was tempted to get a true a while ago but #1 they need lapping to shine and #2 they need 2x 1600 + rpm fans which is noisy compared to 1 fan at 1000rpm.
I think a lapped tuniq may well be neck and neck with a TRUE/venomous X.

Depends on the revision. Earlier revisions had more fins and therefore more surface area but the fins were packed tighter. Rev. C. and above and also Venomous X have fewer fins but they are more widely spaced for freer airflow. This means the fans you choose for each will have different results for what you are trying to accomplish.

The Venomous X's adjustable pressure clamp probably means it will be cooler than a Tuniq but people have reported the clamp, if tightened all the way can actually push your CPU/socket too deep into the motherboard.

It's a great cooler don't get me wrong it's probably the best cooler ever but it does in most cases require lapping and careful fan matching to live up to it's rep.

I went with 2 Scythe S-Flex 1600rpm 120mm Fans.

64CFM and 27DB. They are quiet and push alot of air.

I have 1 Scythe S-Flex 1900 rpm which is 75CFM and 35DB and its quiet enough I going to go with a second fan soon but I have a controller so noise is not an issue at all.

Back