Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme

I've had enough of these Tuniq !!!!!!s that say Tuniq is the king of the hill and the best3st he4ts!nk ev3r !!!!oneone

Thermalright Ultra is just as good as the Tuniq, yet gets no credit. Now the TR extreme will get more attention. Tuniq is done.

Think about the form of this cooler... The Scythe Ninja has been there with 6 heatpipes before.... but the Ultra 120 has may more fins...

I dont think there's ever been this a great number of pipes and fins on a cooler before (i could be wrong)...

Now what Thermalright needs to do is to take a heads up from the Enzotech Ultra-x results and make their heatpipes larger. From the standard 6mm up to 8mm or so...

They do that, and they have an INSANE beast on their hands

Ordered the regular today, got a yate loon fan to go with it. I'll let ya know how it works :)

Like they said in the review, the fan is probably what gave it the edge, so try replacing your Tuniq one with that fan?

I'm pretty sure that they were talking about the normal Ultra 120 in that comment, not the Extreme.

AnandTech said:
The Tuniq Tower 120 has solidly maintained the top position in our heatpipe tower tests until our recent review of the Thermalright Ultra 120 with a Scythe S-Flex fan. The Ultra 120 did not really pass the excellent Tuniq in cooling ability, but it did impress us with its ability to match the results achieved with the Tuniq Tower 120. Cooling with the Scythe S-Flex fan also achieved the same cooling with lower noise levels, but we are confident the Tuniq would perform similarly if the S-Flex was used for cooling the Tuniq.

the tuniq is a good cooler.. but wow, too big for me.. I could't get to parts of my mobo with it installed and it also prevented me from using the mobo slide-out tray with certain mobos installed..(like my current one).. depends on the cpu socket orientation.. anyways.. I have alway liked Thermalright coolers.. I had the SK6+ way back in the day and it rocked! I am glad to see their modern flagship product getting the press it deserves. kick ass! :cool:

I'm pretty sure that they were talking about the normal Ultra 120 in that comment, not the Extreme.

Yeah I know, I was just pointing out that (s)he could replace the fan in the Tuniq first before ordering a $50ish (dunno price for Plus version) Heatsink.

I went the other way and got me an HR01 to replace my Ultra 120..... The Ultra 120 is a great HSF, I used it on my Opty 165 but I just love how the HR01 looks... side by side its hard to believe theyre both made by the same company..... I wish they would make an Ultra 120 that looks like the HR series.....

tuniq owns, its just as good as my friends watercooling setup so saying another fan is better is probably stretching the truth. I have seen nothing even come close to it.

I've seen this heatsink and its just as big, its literally the same thing but with an opening in the middle and other minor design differences, its not any better.

I've seen this heatsink and its just as big, its literally the same thing but with an opening in the middle and other minor design differences, its not any better.

Do you actively practice denial as a form of coping with life, or is this just a subconscious self defense mechanism?

tuniq owns, its just as good as my friends watercooling setup so saying another fan is better is probably stretching the truth. I have seen nothing even come close to it.

If you're not gonna bother to read the whole review, at least look at the charts.

If you're going to get the Ultra 120 extreme, I suggest you check out the silverstone 120mm fans, I've got two of them in my case, at full speed they push 110CFMs and aren't very loud at all.. Best part about them is that there is no whine.

LMAO they used the thermalright supplied thermal compound.. i wonder what the results would be with some ceramique or ac5, hell or even that crazy shin etsu stuff..

::edit::

i'd like to see results with say that 100CFM panaflo axial, only 41db that's not even that loud on a fan controller :D

If you're going to get the Ultra 120 extreme, I suggest you check out the silverstone 120mm fans, I've got two of them in my case, at full speed they push 110CFMs and aren't very loud at all.. Best part about them is that there is no whine.

Wouldnt trust them numbers, sure they move alot of air but way too noisy at full speed.

Wouldnt trust them numbers, sure they move alot of air but way too noisy at full speed.

well at full speed they move tons of air and they're way quieter than you would expect and if you are wearing headphones or have music/gamesound going (even if it is not very loud) you cant hear them at all

and when you dont want to hear your computer you can just turn the fans down as this will most probably be when you are not putting any pressure on the cpu and so you can afford to lose the airflow at those times

i speak form the experiance of owning two myself by the way

I was wondering,
I was going to O/C my new E4300 which will be on my DFI Infinity 975. For a good heatsink / Fan combo what do you think is the best option? GeninII? Tuniq? This? Plus I cant seem to find the Thermalright Ultra 120 Exreme anywhere. Newegg does not have any listed which is weird. What do you guys think?

naw they're not loud at all, I mean they're loud but its more of a woosh instead of a whine which it much more preferable. Had an 80mm thermaltake fan in there before and wow, not only do the silverstone move more air but its a lot quieter. Also had a stealth 120mm fan and it just didn't move enough air, not to mention it wasn't exactly 'quiet'.

The Tuniq really isn't that much better/worse. Same with the Infinity. Those 3 are probubly the best air coolers you can get and they're all within a few degrees of each other. If you already have one, no point in getting one of the others.

The Tuniq really isn't that much better/worse. Same with the Infinity. Those 3 are probubly the best air coolers you can get and they're all within a few degrees of each other. If you already have one, no point in getting one of the others.

er... If I can

A. lower my temps

B. overclock higher

and

C. run a quieter rig

all by upgrading my heatsink, I'll sure as hell do it, and I'm sure lots of others would too.

Zal 9500 > Ultra 120 until 120 PLUS comes out ... worth every penny. Also sell the 9500 to pay a significant chunk of the cost to upgrade.

hate to resurrect an old thread but this one seemed fit. anyways, do any online stores have these in stock yet? it's on the thermalright website so i'm pretty sure it should be out already or relatively soon.

I've read somewhere that it's gonna be out in may or something. I got tired of waiting and decided to watercool instead :)

You can get the regular Ultra-120 now if you don't mind the few degrees warmer it will be.

nahhh if you're interested at all in the ultra 120 OR the extreme version, i'd say wait unless you absolutely need to upgrade right now; it won't be long yet until the extreme is available, and it'll drive down the original 120's price a fair bit.

I wonder how the Ultra-120 Extreme would perform if it had 4/5 heatpipes, but with 8mm diameter :D

Good idea! Post back when you get a reply.

I did the same thing, and the response I got (asked about both the Ultima-90 and the 120 Extreme) was
No release date at this time. We will update our website as soon as it is
ready.

Thank you.

:: Alvin - Sales Dept
:: Thermalright, Inc.
:: [email protected]
:: Phone: 909-266-0943
:: Fax: 951-257-4106
:: Now you can pay with PayPal!

I did the same thing, and the response I got (asked about both the Ultima-90 and the 120 Extreme) was

Well at least someone made an attempt, even if their reply couldn't be any more vague.
Ah well, i guess it'll just be a waiting game. I just hope it'll have launched in the UK by July, if not the non-extreme version will have to suffice.

Have had one for a couple of weeks - have gotten some really nice temps at 3600mhz.
Added thermal paste between the hold down bracket and main sink and slipped a NB sink on top of the bracket held tight by the bottom cooling fin. They all heat up to about the same temps so I guess its helping some. The unit I got needs lapping pretty bad, kind of like one of those mirrors in the circus - must have been madeon a Friday.

I have an XP90C with a Panaflo High output fan on mine right now. I would like to lower the noise in my PC and i was wondering if I get the Ultra 120 Extreme and a silentX 120 fan would I get at least the same cooling temps with less noise?

Thanks.

these air coolers are getting ridiculous... I remember when the air cooling guys made fun of us water cooling guys for the huge ass radiators.... now look at yourselves!

Back