Thermalright True Spirit Direct installation for 2011-3 socket (is ~3.5mm gap normal?)

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by 22curious, Jan 1, 2017.

1. 22curious

22curious n00bie

I'm happy to find some Thermalright True users on this subforum! I'd really appreciate your help.

This is my first build - finally! I'm installing a Thermalright True Spirit Direct on a i-7 6800k CPU, 2011-3 socket, on an ASRock Taichi motherboard.

I'm concerned that the gap between the top of the provided anchoring mount and the bottom of the cooler mounting bracket is too large. Using a limp measuring tape, it looks like the gap is ~ 3.5 mm. The two mounting screws do reach through and begin to thread into the mount.

So:
    1. Is this ~3.5mm gap normal?
    2. If I'm just supposed to start cranking -- how do I know when to stop?

Gap_between_mounting_plate-top_and_TS-Direct_bracket-bottom.jpg
    The gap (at the end of the measuring tape)

depth of screw available for threading.jpg
    The amount of screw travel available to thread into the bracket.

Thank you and Happy New Year!

2. pendragon1

pendragon1 2[H]4U

that gap does look a little big. is it making good contact with the cpu, paste spread looks even? I cant find any good pics but I found a vid that shows it should be flush with the square bracket that mounts to the 4 corner screws. I would take it all apart and double check the assembly.

3. 22curious

22curious n00bie

Thanks pendragon1. Yes - a 'little big'! There's not much to take apart, so I just did as you suggested in hopes that a miracle might occur (so far...no).

The HardwareReady video shows installation of a True Spirit 140 Direct on an 1151 socket. I had a little discussion about differences between that and my 2011-3 socket over at overclock.net

I don't think I'm allowed to post any noob links yet, but it's under "thermalright-true-spirit-140-direct-installation-for-2011-3-socket-i-7-6800k-cpu-something-wrong-w-this-pic#post_25748792

I'm kind of up a creek. My email to support@thermalright.com bounced, and their website is under maintenance. I've submitted a request for help to thermalright.de but no news yet.
    Does anyone have a customer service phone# for Thermalright?

4. Jorona

Jorona 2[H]4U

I'd just keep crankin on it. Make sure the screw doesn't hit the MoBo, but this just looks like a tightening issue.

5. 22curious

22curious n00bie

Thermalright has responded to my inquiry, and the short version is: they agree with you! :)

Thanks Jorona and pendragon1 for your support. I'll post my discourse with Thermalright when I get pics, so it might help some other n00b save some time.

pendragon1 likes this.