Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 fan choices

Darklen

n00b
Hi all guys, so I was wondering something today, I have a Thermalright TRUE 140 vanilla, the old first model with the stock 140mm 1250RPM TY-140 Fan, and also I have a pair of Corsair 120mm 2700RPM SP120L fans from an spare unit, so, what you people think? may it worth to replace stock 140mm with dual 120mm high static pressure fans?.

I know it may sound stupid but it's a legit question, I'm trying to achieve as low as possible temps for a max overclocking potential.

Thanks all in advance.

TRUE Spirit 140 is a very good cooler, even if it is several years old now.

My guess is not much if any difference in temps but definitely much louder. ;)

The TY-140 is a 1300rpm rated 21dB(A), 74cfm & 1.56mm H2O
Corsair SP120L 2700rpm rated 37.7dB(A), 74cfm & no static pressure rating. 2350rpm version is 3.1mm H2O

So we have
Same airflow rating with SPs' having about twice the pressure rating when stacked
but TRUE Spirit 140 isn't restricting airflow enough for it to make any difference​
Smaller 120mm diameter flow versus TY-140 140mm diameter flow so probably not as big an airflow area through TS140​

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a True Spirit Power with the faster TY-143 fan
https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-TY-143-High-speed-bearing/dp/B009QGHQ1K

made about 5c difference vs stock ty-147 fan but much louder. Im actually using the stock ty-147 fan as an exhaust directly behind the cooler

these will also fit but may make the cooler taller?

https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright...d=1514129977&sr=1-3&keywords=thermalright+fan

I guess, you can always try it and report back, with the 120mm fans test
Using the TY-147 as exhaust means it's only moving about half the air at same % PWM signal as TY-143 is. Honestly, you should be getting 8-10c lower temps with TY-143, but to do that the case airflow has to be almost doubled to supply the massive flow TY-143 delivers into cooler .. probably do better moving TY-147 to front or bottom as another intake then as back exhaust. Generally the cooler pushes air back and out of case pretty well with no rear exhaust fans.

TY-141 fans are same size as TY-147, TY-143, and other TY-14x series fans. Only the TY-150 is bigger.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Using the TY-147 as exhaust means it's only moving about half the air at same % PWM signal as TY-143 is. Honestly, you should be getting 8-10c lower temps with TY-143, but to do that the case airflow has to be almost doubled to supply the massive flow TY-143 delivers into cooler .. probably do better moving TY-147 to front or bottom as another intake then as back exhaust. Generally the cooler pushes air back and out of case pretty well with no rear exhaust fans.

TY-141 fans are same size as TY-147, TY-143, and other TY-14x series fans. Only the TY-150 is bigger.
Currently have 2 cheap 140mm for intake but those will be switched to ty-147 in a few days

Currently have 2 cheap 140mm for intake but those will be switched to ty-147 in a few days
2x TY-147 should just flow enough to keep up with TY-143, depends on how restrictive front grill and filter are.
Here is specs for T:Y-147 and TY-143:
upload_2017-12-24_16-11-8.png

Here is PWM signal % to rpm of TY-14x fans

upload_2017-12-24_16-9-21.png

great answer doyll it was exactly what I was looking for, actually I un the stock TY-140 Fan Full blast because it is god damn silent, I can't hear it over any of my case fans and my GPU even at idle, so you say it doesn't really worth the hassle to install both fans and keep the TY-140?..

I was thinking that dual high-static pressure fans even running at about 1500RPM both would bump a bit the cooling performance, while running still quiet enough, but maybe I figured the TRUE 140 isn't really that thick to the point where static pressure could be a potential issue, im wrong here? so I think I might be better with those spare SP120L as front intake fans with my very restrictive dust filters and front grill.

We can't stack 2 of same fans with one running half the speed of the other because the one running half speed limits the one running twice as fans to half speed.
Here is TY-143 at 1200rpm and 2500rpm single and dual on TRUE Spirit 140 Power cooler to give you and idea of single vs double is only 1.65c and 2.55c better. We normally gain more by monitoring air temp going into cooler and tuning case so case fans so when at full load we are flowing air only 3-5c warmer than rooom instead of 10-20c warmer.
upload_2017-12-25_9-26-59.png

SP120 2350rpm is rated 62.74cfm unrestricted airflow & 3.1mm H2O. TY-140 is rated 74cfm and TY-143 is rated 130cfm .. 2x SP120 are not even as much as single TY-143. 1x 140mm fans flow about same as 3x 120mm fans of similar design and speeds.

SP120 2350rpm is rated 62.74cfm unrestricted airflow & 3.1mm H2O. TY-140 is rated 74cfm and TY-143 is rated 130cfm .. 2x SP120 are not even as much as single TY-143. 1x 140mm fans flow about same as 3x 120mm fans of similar design and speeds.

this was exactly my wonder, doesn't static pressure play a bigger role than raw CFM in coolers?, there is no way I will run the SP120L at full blast, they are very loud at that speed, so I was thinking running them at about 1500RPM - 1800RPM, well at this point I think it just doesn't worth the hassle to remove the whole cooler to change the fans and test.

this was exactly my wonder, doesn't static pressure play a bigger role than raw CFM in coolers?, there is no way I will run the SP120L at full blast, they are very loud at that speed, so I was thinking running them at about 1500RPM - 1800RPM, well at this point I think it just doesn't worth the hassle to remove the whole cooler to change the fans and test.
Pressure rating is quite important, but so is airflow rating. My point is the combination of both on two SP 120mm fans mounted as intakes give us only about half the the airflow TY-143 has monted on cooler .. and the cooler fan needs intake fans to be supplying at least as much airflow into case as total of airflow the CPU cooler and GPU cooler use. If case fans do not supply at least as much or more airflow the cooler fans have use their own heated exhaust airflow to make up the difference..and every degree warmer the air going into cooler is translates to a degree hotter the component is.

Pressure rating is quite important, but so is airflow rating. My point is the combination of both on two SP 120mm fans mounted as intakes give us only about half the the airflow TY-143 has monted on cooler .. and the cooler fan needs intake fans to be supplying at least as much airflow into case as total of airflow the CPU cooler and GPU cooler use. If case fans do not supply at least as much or more airflow the cooler fans have use their own heated exhaust airflow to make up the difference..and every degree warmer the air going into cooler is translates to a degree hotter the component is.

It's usually static pressure winning out and what can be forced/pushed onto the cooler and how cold incoming air is. With higher rpm fans you have more airflow but it doesn't always do much because ambient's are still normal and sometimes rather warm.
Why water cooling is my choice can have some quiet fans and whole thing can be much more inaudible.

It's usually static pressure winning out and what can be forced/pushed onto the cooler and how cold incoming air is. With higher rpm fans you have more airflow but it doesn't always do much because ambient's are still normal and sometimes rather warm.
Why water cooling is my choice can have some quiet fans and whole thing can be much more inaudible.
Room ambient and cooler intake air temp are rarely the same .. and cooler intake can easily be 10-20c warmer if no attention has been given to optimizing case airflow .. and every degree warmer the air is translates to about a degree warmer the component is.
True, water cooling is not the near 1 : 1 temperature ratio, but it also depends greatly on what water cooling is used. CLC AIOs are about the same as top tier air cooling but cost more, make way more noise, don't last as long, and if they fail it's usually the pump so CPU has no cooling until new cooler is installed. Air coolers don't wear out, so only the fan can fail .. which usually give warring it's getting bad, system will work at low load with no cooler fan, and any fan can be put on with rubber bands or zip-ties until new fan is in hand. ;)

Back