Thermalright TRUE Spirit 120M BW Rev.A enough for the 9900K?

Synomenon

Supreme [H]ardness
My motherboard AND CPU fried this past week. Going to replace with a Z390 board + 9900K.

Looks like the 9900K runs hot. Would my current heatsink be good enough?

TRUE Spirit 120M BW Rev.A
http://thermalright.com/product/true-spirit-120m-bw-rev-a/

It's in a Corsair 380T. The airflow goes straight through, front-to-back:

GviKZiR.jpg

Last edited:
for stock speed, yes.. you should be fine, specially if you change the stock fans with 2 better fans... that cpu holds a 4.7ghz all cores turbo, so I guess based on reviews you should be able to hold 4.8ghz all cores. but forget anything higher than that.

All of the fans currently are Corsair ML120's.

I could replace the Thermalright with a Corsair H100i Pro. with four fans (push /pull), but with that radiator mounting on the side of the case, should its four fans be pulling air out of the case or drawing air into the case?

I'd still have that front-to-back airflow from the two front 120mm fans + the single rear 120mm fan.

If you can fit the h100i go with it.. it should be better in every possible sense, and put the fans as exhaust, that's a lot of heat to be pushed inside that tiny case.. exhausting all the CPU heat outside the case is one of the major advantages of AIO. if you have that chance go for it.

i agree with running the h100i but youll find that running the h100i as an inlet from the front will benefit your temps the most with that case. especially if your going to go with push/pull.
here is a good article that will help in figuring out how much cooling youll need
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13400/intel-9th-gen-core-i9-9900k-i7-9700k-i5-9600k-review/21

Mounting the H100i on the front 380T? Not sure if it'll fit up there, but if it does then the heat from the radiator would be pushed back into the case, right?

there may some heatdump but with push/pull fans it would be very little with the cooler air coming in. as an exhaust theres only a 120 bringing in cool air so the rad would soak up alot of the heat put off by the vrms and gpu.

My TRUE Spirit 120M has been running my i7-2600k at 4.5ghz for 6 years now. Stock Thermalright fan too. The 2600k is also a 95w TDP chip.

That being said, the i9-9900k is a whole new animal. 8 cores vs. 4 cores, and with the proper workload and the way the TDP really works, the 9900k is more like a 160w chip. I don't think the 2600k would ever come close to that at it's top speed around 5ghz.

The TRUE Spirit 120M is rated for 160w. If you were to run this on a 9900k, you would quite literally be at the bare minimum. I would not expect to be doing much overclocking at all using it, and the fan will be running at high speed quite often.

Everyone here will likely recommend you get a water cooler. They are fine for many cases. If you are still considering air coolers, they can be very competitive.

Single Tower cooler (extremely tall, may be too much for some cases):
Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 Power. 360w of cooling power according to specs. Not sure I believe it when their dual tower Silver Arrow is 320w, but I will believe it would be more than enough for the 9900k.
Noctua UH-14S

Dual Tower coolers (more likely will fit more cases while possibly blocking really tall RAM):
Silver Arrow, either IB-E extreme or ITX-R. 320w of cooling power, but shorter than TRUE-140 and will fit most cases.
Noctua NH-D15 or NH-D15S

Another thing I forgot to mention in the OP; I normally run the computer long periods of time (it can be on for weeks between shut-downs). I'm guessing an air-cooler would be better in that use case.

I was able to find the Silver Arrow ITX-R at Amazon UK and ordered from there. Thermalright's specs. say that with its single 130mm fan, it's rated up to 320W.

Last edited:
Back