Thermalright HR-02 Macho CPU Air Cooler Review @ [H]

I doubt they would send so many samples to American review sites if they didn't intend to sell it here.

as far as the price being correct or not benchmark reviews has a review of the macho up as well that also lists the MSRP as $39.95.

I doubt they would send so many samples to American review sites if they didn't intend to sell it here.

as far as the price being correct or not benchmark reviews has a review of the macho up as well that also lists the MSRP as $39.95.

True.

Any word on when/where we can buy this thing? I'm gonna need something to cool my 2600k that should be here tomorrow.

Wow for 40 f*ing dollars this thing is a absolute STEAL. Unless you're hell bent on having one of those self contained liquid cooling systems, there is no reason to not have this cooler should your case allow it! Too bad the Ven-X or any version of the Ultra 120 weren't included in the review, but from what I can remember the Archon performs similarly to the former and with that I can sort of just where they stand. Thanks for the great and thorough review.

Great review.

A question -- the HR-02 Macho didn't look like it blocked any RAM slots on the tested mainboard. Will there be clearance enough to use all RAM sockets on most motherboards, or is there potential to block 1-2 sockets?

Like the original HR-02, Thermalright cleverly designed this cooler and angled the majority of its mass off centered and towards the rear of the case away from the memory slots. Just look at the side profile shot where half the heatpipes are angled towards one direction. With that in mind, it looks like the HR-02 has better memory clearance than most contemporary air coolers and should have no problem with blocking memory slots.

My comment made a valid point: It doesn't matter how good something is if it's unobtainable.

Don't get me wrong, I love HardOCP. It has the most scientific testing procedures of any site. I've been visiting for the past 8 years.

Nevertheless, my point still stands.

We try out best to only report on products that are for sale. I am terribly sorry that we have let you down with our useless content.

Direct from Thermalright:

One of our contractors went down and we have difficulty in producing enough Machos. A shipment is scheduled to leave Taiwan next week and arrive in the US first week of September.

Looks like I will wait a couple of weeks to put my parts together on my new computer and get this one...

So if it arrives first week of September do you think customers will be able to get ahold of it in the same time frame?

I might get this for my upcoming Silverstone TJ-08e build, which has a maximum clearance of 165mm.

Sooo....the second week of September is drawing to a close and I don't see a single retailer with the HR-02 Macho available. I wonder how much money Thermalright has lost from people going with other solutions out of frustration.

I think the hold up is a revised bracket for certain Asus boards that the original didn't work with. If you look on the compatibility PDF it makes mention of this.

To bad those of us without an ASUS board get screwed because of the wait..

*Edit*
Just got a response from thermalright... new eta is by the end of the month.

Last edited:
Inside a 400R case would this or an H100 be better? They would both fit fine, I'm leaning towards the H100 because I already have Corsair case, PSU, and memory. Might as well get their cooler and possibly SSD. Plus it should cool a little better, but better enough to give a higher overclock compared to the Macho?

Niether, the Hyper 612pwm seems to be killing in that price range.
The h100 is more than double the price of either macho or the 612, and as such is lacking in the value department.

If you want to watercool, I would look into the rasa kit. For roughly the same price 130 dollars, you'll get superior watercooling, and it has room to grow if you decide to get another radiator, or watercool your videocard.

Also, the silver arrow + indigo extreme is pretty amazing.

So now both heatsinkfactory and frozencpu have removed the macho from thier pages. I guess they were tired of getting ETA inquiries.

Okang beat me to it. I was going to order one from them when I saw they had them in stock, but with it being a brand new site only selling 2 items and no resellerating entry at all makes me say hrmmmm.

I think I'll wait a bit longer till some more reputable vendors have them in stock.

Awesome review btw! :)

Edit: An update to my post. I just visited the official Thermalright webpage, and they are officially linking to this site as a place to buy their product under the support tab in the HR-02 Macho product page.

I'm still going to wait for another vendor to pick it up since I also wanted to order a second TY-140 fan and I'd rather do it from the same place. Plus this vendor is charging $11 shipping.

http://www.thermalright.com/products/?act=data&id=178&cat_id=27

I guess this makes this site more official even if it's a brand new site that just got put up and is only selling 2 Thermalright products.

Last edited:
Well, i guess i'll be the guinea pig then. If Thermalright has them listed as an official vendor, then i'll trust them to be accurate about it. I placed an order for it on Nan's website. I'm ok with the shipping, tbh. But, then again, i live in Alaska and we always get royally f**ked on shipping, so $11 for me really isn't that bad.

Wish me luck.

I ordered myne on the 21st and I did get tracking information that day. Also the Rep there: [email protected] emailed me back right away when I placed my order so they are communicative. I'll post when myne arrives, I am told that will be on Monday.

I ordered myne on the 21st and I did get tracking information that day. Also the Rep there: [email protected] emailed me back right away when I placed my order so they are communicative. I'll post when myne arrives, I am told that will be on Monday.

Same here. Fairly quick response, also from [email protected]. No tracking info yet, but since it's USPS, i'm guessing i should be expecting an email from them when they get it. So far, so good.

Dear William,

The order is shipped by USPS priority today.
Thanks for your attention.

BR.,
Thomas

Quick update. I got the box today. The hsf looks great. It sure seems like this guy is legit. Plus, he gets good brownie points from me because as far as i can tell from the label, actual shipping charge was $12.30 (I'm assuming from the added insurance and tracking) and he honored the $10.95 fee that his website charged me.

FYI, the cheapest shipping i've ever gotten from NewEgg has been $14.53 (yes, i just looked) and that was for a single stick of laptop memory 4 years ago.

2011-09-26113739.jpg

Quick update. I got the box today. The hsf looks great. It sure seems like this guy is legit. Plus, he gets good brownie points from me because as far as i can tell from the label, actual shipping charge was $12.30 (I'm assuming from the added insurance and tracking) and he honored the $10.95 fee that his website charged me.

FYI, the cheapest shipping i've ever gotten from NewEgg has been $14.53 (yes, i just looked) and that was for a single stick of laptop memory 4 years ago.

2011-09-26113739.jpg

Install it already.....lol...i wanna see some numbers

Thanks for the update wdtiger, now I have to figure out if this behemoth will fit in my case (Rosewill Gear X3). I measured the case myself and have some rough estimates but don't know yet if it will fit. This beast has a height of 165mm (when you factor in the TY-140 fan) and my case can hold for sure a Hyper 212+ which measures in at 159mm. (my case is 7.78" wide or 200mm and I measured the inside and roughly 177mm will fit)

I think you will be fine if you can fit 177mm. Thermalright's site says the heatsink itself is 162mm. The fan does add a little height, but it should be less than 15mm. I just ordered one and I'm in the same boat with my 690 II Advanced. I will let you know in a few days.

My HR-02 arrived yesterday well packed and in perfect shape from Nan's so get your now!:)

Howdy all, my first post in these forums. This review convinced me to get one a Macho when I build my new Sandy Bridge system.
You can look at it http://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=27676

As previously noted, it is a giant lump of metal. It just squeezes into my CM692.
As for RAM clearance, on my Asus P8P67-PRO, the fan does not block the first ram slot, but the clips that hold the fan on DO. Nothing some zip-ties or some of your own wire holding the fan on won't fix.

It's quiet as a mouse, keeps my 2600k which is oc'd to [email protected] at 25-30 when idling and high 50's when folding.
As I can't post pics yet, I'll have to give you a link to a site where I can so you can have a closer look
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1234230

Overall I'm supremely happy with cooler!
Thanks [H] for the review that led me to it!

Really interested in getting this cooler for my next build, but do you guys think that it'd fit in the crapbox otherwise known as the Antec Nine Hundred that I have, or would it not fit so I can dislike it more? :p

Props for the pictures, Simba. I think they'll help a lot of people make a decision. :cool:

If your system is ever down, would love to see a picture without the graphics card, so that I could get an idea of how the HR-02 overhangs the socket.

My HR-02 Macho arrived yesterday from Nan's. No problems :) Installed in my 690 II, but I had to remove the motherboard (ASRock). Currently overclocking my 2500k @ 4.2. No temps or thorough testing yet, but it seems very stable so far.

Back