thermalright heatsinks and Abit NF7-S v.2.0

boshi

Limp Gawd
I have an NF7-S revision 2.0 and I just got a thermalright SLK-947-U, then I looked at thermalrights site and they say that the v2.0 of my mobo is not compatible with the SLK-947U, but it is compatible with the SP-97, the SLK900A, and the SLK-800U.

Is this really incompatible, with what I have, and if it is, when I RMA it, what should I get instead? I'd be interested in maybe the SP-97, but it looks a darn lot like the SLK947U ( except bigger ) which I just found out doesnt fit...

Well if you've already ordered (received?) the 947, try it out when it comes in :) Assuming you're not really strapped for time, or thermal goop, then there's no harm in checking it out. (assuming you're careful and don't smash some capacitors while you're at it) But if you prefer to be on the safe side, then yeah, return it. You really can't go wrong with a Thermalright heatsink, so just get whatever suits your wallet and preference the best.

nope, didnt fit, I could have shaved a teeny bit off the side of the bracket, but I kinda like the SP-97 anyways.

the slk-900u definatly fits. according to overclockers.com it is the best heatsink period.

Going off topic here but Bugalaman I saw in your sig

512MB TwinX Corsair XMS PC 3200 (2.5-3-3-8)

And you're running at 200MHz FSB. You should definitely tighten up those timings :D That's some nice ram, and even my "crappiest RAM in the world" is running CAS2.0 at 200MHz.

Just my thought :)

well, just sent the SLK back to newegg, and I'll prolly be getting the SP-97 monday

got the SP-97 today and installed it, very nice.

my temps lowered by 25 degrees F. and it fits no problem, except that the plastic on the back of the mobo keeps one of the mounting holes from being used.

do you mean motherboard mounting hole or heatsink mounting hole? if it's the heatsink - we have either a very brave or very insane man on our hands here:D

what fan is that with?

The MOBO screw mount is blocked by the SP 97, no biggie. The remaining screws hold it tight.

Originally posted by rogue_jedi
do you mean motherboard mounting hole or heatsink mounting hole? if it's the heatsink - we have either a very brave or very insane man on our hands here:D

what fan is that with?

92mm vantec tornado @ 2100 RPM

Back