Thermalright ARO-M14G Ryzen AM4 CPU Air Cooler Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Thermalright ARO-M14G Ryzen AM4 CPU Air Cooler Review

Thermalright is known for low cost CPU air coolers that will get a job done. Its new ARO-M14G is a bit different in form factor than what we are used to seeing from the company, but it claims to have built this heatsink specifically for AMD's Ryzen socket AM4 CPUs. It even goes as far as to suggest it is suitable for fanless operation.

If you like our content, please support HardOCP on Patreon.

Thanks for the review! Love my Thermalright Heatsinks, Still have my XP-90 and TRUE120. Looks like a great budget option

You're not the only one. I have the Ultima-90 running in my server and the TRUE120 on my main system yet. Thermalright has always had really good heatsinks for the price.

Nice cooler and looks to be a great bang/buck solution. I am looking for a lower profile design, maybe the be quiet! Dark Rock TK. Love these reviews where you have a full gamut of coolers and their performance laid out - priceless!

Perhaps this has been explained but is there a reason the D15, R1 or TC14PE are not on the chart? It can't be cost as the DRP4 is comparable to those I mentioned and the AIO's are same or higher.

wee tad "worse" then hyper 212 EVO in regards to cooling, but quieter by about same margin, call it a "wash" for about the same price, by picture alone seems a fair amount larger as well?

they can plop it full of holes and claim it helps performance etc but when it really does not seem to do so, seems like is more expensive for the "looks" more then it is for the performance/noise benefit?

Thanks for the review though Kyle o7

Deepcool Gammaxx 400 should be one to "test" when you get the chance, fairly low cost and should be (by all accounts) pretty spot on if not tad better overall the hyper 212 plus, EVO, 212X (without lying about TDP ability on the package) lower cost as well (~$10-15 less cost) not greatest Intel builds but apprently works with normal mount clip like AMD socket uses (example AM3/3+/4) so not need for crazy take apart socket and such, at least it has solid hold on the cpu and socket this way (no push pin stuff to fiddle with)

I had read recommended is one loosens the socket bracket just a touch when install it, install, then tighten back down, should be nice and easy (and does proper east/west or north/south) if you should so choose, which is extra nice to have, quite a few coolers when use on AMD socket ONLY face north/south which is not all that beneficial in many setups and can be difference of ~10c or thereabouts cpu and gpu alone.

I was keen on getting one whenever I manage to get funds worked out for a Ryzen based top to bottom build (likely the 7nm ones) if can afford to do so at time AND the coolers (if included) are not better then current boxed ones.

I wonder why AMD did not do at least one of them with a tower style (lower profile) for example like a Cryorig H7 universal, to fit in ~90% of cases and builds and give that much higher out of the box performance without having to "waste money" on getting acceptable cooling for many folks (even with a minor overclock or extended high performance usage) ^.^

wee tad "worse" then hyper 212 EVO in regards to cooling, but quieter by about same margin, call it a "wash" for about the same price, by picture alone seems a fair amount larger as well?
Not 'worse' at all. Just much quieter with similar cooling ability. I'm not sure why result show 212 and other similar coolers to be as 'good' as it appears in this series of tests when most other testing shows Macho 140 series 6x heastpipe coolers to be significantly better than 212 and other similar coolers.

I'm running a Macho Rev B on my AMD Ryzen 1700. I'm only at 3.8ghz and 1.232V, but my cooler never gets above 65c at load, even when ambient temperature is high. I feel that your numbers are a bit off or maybe it really, really doesn't like how high of voltage you're running.
It's been excellent since launch for me.

I'm running a Macho Rev B on my AMD Ryzen 1700. I'm only at 3.8ghz and 1.232V, but my cooler never gets above 65c at load, even when ambient temperature is high. I feel that your numbers are a bit off or maybe it really, really doesn't like how high of voltage you're running.
Your feelings would be wrong. I would suggest you read over exactly how these are tested at very high vCore voltages in order to very much push the limits of the coolers. The testing is set up that way on purpose. Its gives what is very much a worst case scenario.

Keep in mind Kyle's numbers are raw data not taking into account the air temp going into cooler and in my experience there is almost a 1:1 ratio between the increase in air temp to the increase in CPU temp.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know that ambient has a huge impact on cooler temps, as long as you aren't using a chiller of some sort its impossible for a cpu to get below ambient. Good review and I understand the methodology a bit better now. I think I was just surprised at how much higher the temps were compared to my temps.
Thanks for the explanation.

Back