Thermal Paste question (new i7 build)

Athrix

Weaksauce
I'm working on a new core i7 build for my boss and put a bit too much AS5 on so I cleaned it off and I'm about to give it another go. I used 99% iso alcohol with a few qtips. I didnt completely remove it from the cpu because I'm just gonna put more on. Note: this machine hasn't been turned on yet so I thought the paste should still be good.

Take a look at the cleaned up pictures and please let me know if they look good enough to make another pass.

Thanks.

3887066479_37ddecf40b.jpg

3887862236_82ec593dbe.jpg

I'll have more pics when its done :)

Cleaned, reapplied, seated it then removed to check the spread. Maybe I"m just being paranoid but this doesn't look good enough =/

3887131193_c8f6cdd0a1.jpg

3887926426_4d77be4ab1.jpg

all you need is a small .177mm bb (as in bbgun bb's) sized dot in the center of the processor.
err its not .177 millimeter, that would be way to small, but you get the idea, I hope

You just need enough paste so that when you put on the heatsink, the paste covers both mating surfaces completely. Your second set of pictures shows proper coverage, although it looks like you may have put on a bit too much paste. Note that you don't have to cover the corners of the heatspreader since they aren't even in contact with the heatsink base.

Got it right this time. Thanks guys :) Booted up first try temps stayed stable at idle

CPU sat at 99 F
MB at about 92F

Back