Thermal paste on bottom of CPU?!?

MiXdNuTs

Gawd
I just bought a s754 venice from the forums here and (long story, terrible seller) the CPU came with thermal paste all over the bottom pins.
I did my best to get it off but several of the pins were already bent and I didn't want to risk fatiguing them further.

My question is more of a prompt to imagination on your part. I am curious why and how someone would ever get thermal paste on the bottom of a fairly new CPU (venice s754s aren't THAT old).

Because theyre an idiot and think there needs to be thermal contact between the pins and the socket?

Use some Isopropyl alcohol and a soft toothbrush to clean it all out. Obviously the seller wasn't too bright.

MrWizard6600 said:
too much paste, squirts out the sides, gravity does the rest

Hmm, I had not considered that.

Because theyre an idiot and think there needs to be thermal contact between the pins and the socket?

I had considered that and I found a thread where they mentioned their mobo fried... The CPU does work great however, just a dirty, abused little thing.

they were applying new thermal paste to their proc which in this case is your Venice chip. they applied too much and then got it on their hands and they started to spread the grease around and roating the chip around back and fourth eventually got the grease evreywhere and so it also ends on the chip.

MrWizard6600 said:
too much paste, squirts out the sides, gravity does the rest

!?

wouldn't that require a shitload of paste on the top!?

OP: good thing it wasn't AS5 or anything that could've shorted the system. Give what BigMacAttack suggested a try, could be just what you're looking for.

Unbelieveable...what kind of moron not only gets thermal paste on the pins but also doesn't have the decency to clean it before selling it. :rolleyes:

joemama said:
Unbelieveable...what kind of moron not only gets thermal paste on the pins but also doesn't have the decency to clean it before selling it. :rolleyes:

The same guy where the last two pages of his FS thread are pissed off people yelling because he has been AWOL for two weeks and not shipped when he got payment.

Ouch! The good news is that your processor still works. As for the seller, you might want to have a talk with him. Definitely not a bright idea to get thermal paste all over the place or use it excessively. You never know what might happen.

quadnad said:
!?

wouldn't that require a shitload of paste on the top!?

OP: good thing it wasn't AS5 or anything that could've shorted the system. Give what BigMacAttack suggested a try, could be just what you're looking for.

Hahha, well I found in another thread by that user that they were selling the CPU because they fried their mobo and the paste was the grey kind; looked like AS5 to me.

Back