Thermal compound doesn't come off with Isopropyl Alcohol

Mastakill

Limp Gawd
Does anyone know how to remove this kind of thermal compound? 99% Isopropyl Alcohol has no effect at all on this, so I guess it isn't alcohol based...
LSI 9207 8i.jpg

I've just put a soaked cotton pad on it for 5 minutes and the extremely thin leftovers on the chip don't even come off a little bit... It has zero effect at all... Again, I don't think this is alcohol based... IPA has zero effect on this...

It seems a bit like a thermal pad (as it pretty thick on the heatsink), but it doesn't peel off either

scrap it off with a spudger and then soak the residue with iso. that how i used to handle that pink bubble gum crap.

Aha, it seems like the soaking with IPA is VERY slowly starting to have effect (on the chip at least).

I was going to try to put an old CPU heatsink on it, so the original heatsink doesn't matter much if it stays dirty...

I've always CAREFULLY used either automotive brake cleaner or carb cleaner applied to a cleanroom wipe to get stubborn thermal paste off CPU/GPU dies and heatsinks. Try not to get it anywhere but the die itself when cleaning the actual card. It will take about any thermal compound or glue right off, especially the gummy pink stuff that was used alot in the Pentium III era.

I've always CAREFULLY used either automotive brake cleaner or carb cleaner applied to a cleanroom wipe to get stubborn thermal paste off CPU/GPU dies and heatsinks. Try not to get it anywhere but the die itself when cleaning the actual card. It will take about any thermal compound or glue right off, especially the gummy pink stuff that was used alot in the Pentium III era.
that works good too. spray it in a cup and dip qtips in then soak the TIM.

Carefully? Half my equipment gets hosed down with brake cleaner damn near annually haha. Or QD Electronics cleaner. I mainly use brake cleaner on heatsinks and QD on PCBs, 1 can will do about 2 motherboards :)

Back