There's Some Intense Web Scans Going on for Bitcoin and Ethereum Wallets

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
I know it sounds silly (not), but with the increase in value of Bitcoin and Ethereum it appears that the thieves/hackers out there are trying to find as many wallets as they can. According to several security researchers there is a significant increase in scanning for wallets on the internet. Most of you practice good internet hygiene when it comes to protecting your wallets, but for those of you who aren't, you better watch out.

"I've seen a couple of such requests a couple of years ago, but it's the first time I see that many," Stevens said, impressed by the scale of the scan. "The first time I observed this was late 2013, in the middle of the first big BTC price rally."

I would be moving to a paper wallet. Intense scanning like this generally means that they have an effective payload ready and they are now building a target manifest.

I know it sounds silly (not), but with the increase in value of Bitcoin and Ethereum it appears that the thieves/hackers out there are trying to find as many wallets as they can. According to several security researchers there is a significant increase in scanning for wallets on the internet. Most of you practice good internet hygiene when it comes to protecting your wallets, but for those of you who aren't, you better watch out.

You better not cry
You better not pout
I'm telling you why
BC hacker is going to town

He has an ip list,
He's checking it twice,
He's gonna find out who's naughty or nice

He sees your laptop sleeping
And he knows where you're online
He knows if you've been bad or safe
So be safe for goodness sake

You better watch out!
You better not cry
You better not pout, I'm telling you why

Oh let's go!
He sees your lack of updates
And he knows you're online banking
He knows if you've been bad or safe
So be safe for goodness sake

You better watch out!
You better not cry

You better watch out!
You better not cry
BC hacker is coming
I mean the sneaky fat man with the big black hat
Is going to town

Part of me thinks that the last summer's Jaxx and some other wallet where an inside job. It's interesting that the finger was pointed at the Russians. It always is. Its just convenient that way. I'm in north east and its kind of cold. I wander if the Russians had a hand in hacking the weather as well. :D

My wallet is cloud based hosted with 12 word catch phrase thumb print ID system.

Maybe I should transfer my hoards over to cold hard cash . . .

Are there any safe hardware wallets out there? Affordable too (under $100).

Governments can't keep hackers out so what makes people think their mining coins are safe? Unbelievable, isn't it? And they don't think there's a paper trail from when they exchanged coin for cash and like the IRS couldn't care less about it LOL ... what a stupid species we humans are

That seems like one hell of a hail mary attempt. Even with all the remote mining operations and shotgun stratum pools, finding something this way is extremely unlikely. You would be much better off just poking through all the file sharing apps and bad vpn apps of yore for accidental complete shares of /home, \users, or C: (which are quite plentiful).

Bitcoin is a joke imho. It's a painfully basic technique of implementing digital currency. There is too much risk of theft and the lack of accountability breeds corruption and dysfunction on a market wide scale.

There are hardware wallets out there, but not under $ 100. I guess if you are holding on to a large amount. It is a good idea to store it at multiple exchanges.

There are hardware wallets out there, but not under $ 100. I guess if you are holding on to a large amount. It is a good idea to store it at multiple exchanges.
So don't put all your eggs in one basket, makes sense.

Back