There Is a 40% Chance Apple Will Acquire Netflix, according to Citi

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Analysts claim that Apple will be buying Netflix: it’s all thanks to the new tax bill, which is giving businesses more cash to throw around. For Apple, that’s about $220 billion – only a third of which is required to acquire Netflix.

"Historically, Apple has avoided repatriating cash to the US to avoid high taxation. As such, tax reform may allow Apple to put this cash to use. With over 90% of its cash sitting overseas, a one-time 10% repatriation tax would give Apple $220 billion for M&A or buybacks."

Yeah, no. Stock analysts think Apple is buying everything if it improves their portfolios. The sheer number of "Apple is gunna buy this stock I need pumped up" stories I see is ridiculous.

They might I suppose if they are serious about getting into video content but I hope not

On the other hand could just be the old pump & dump scheme

Weird....Wall Street expects large conglomerates to use their tax break to secure their monopolies by snagging up extra levels of the supply chain rather than paying workers or moving production facilities back to US soil....who would have suspected?

I ain't worried about it. I think a company like Netflix would rather fail than be bought out by one of these massive "this is what Netflix was trying to change" type of corporations.

Apple could have a 40% chance to buy anything.

This was actually a thought in one of the Masters in Business podcasts awhile back, not surprised to see this pop up now.

God No!
1) price will triple
2) DRM locked down to apple tv only
3) software turn into ITunes to view que

The Horror! I will run to cancel my service.

Wont happen.

Also won't happen - Apple uses this money to move more of it's manufacturing to America. Would be awesome, but again, WHY WOULD THEY DO UNPROFITABLE THINGS?

I certainly hope this doesn't happen. I don't trust Apple, at all. They'd screw us over in new and innovative ways, and destroy my favorite streaming service.

Burn a third of their money on Netflix? Yeah i love Netflix, but apples stock should crash if they do that... Y
That would be so many levels of dumb. They are better off doing an Android phone, and investing in Google... I am serious.

Man, no one in this thread has business sense.

Buying Netflix makes a lot of sense for Apple, They already have a large captured user base, name recognition, infrastructure and content production pipeline. It's a plug and play VOD service without having to take the lumps of starting up your own studio, pipeline, and delivery platform. Netflix can turn a profit whenever they want by cutting production budgets, but right now they want to just shotgun content out there and see what sticks to 1) entice users to become used to only using NETFLIX and 2) creating a strong core of shows that will retain subscribers.

I think it's much more likely they buy Tesla though.

Also, wasn't this the same Forum that was bemoaning Netflix's $1 price increase as 'being bent over!'

Buying Netflix makes a lot of sense for Apple, They already have a large captured user base, name recognition, infrastructure and content production pipeline. It's a plug and play VOD service without having to take the lumps of starting up your own studio, pipeline, and delivery platform. Netflix can turn a profit whenever they want by cutting production budgets, but right now they want to just shotgun content out there and see what sticks to 1) entice users to become used to only using NETFLIX and 2) creating a strong core of shows that will retain subscribers.

Also, wasn't this the same Forum that was bemoaning Netflix's $1 price increase as 'being bent over!'

On the contrary, I think most people here FULLY understand that this makes sense for Apple....to the detriment of anyone who actually likes being a customer of Netflix.

Well I don't know.. if they can get it in a fire sale maybe... That captured user base is one click way from eroding, with NN gone Netflix could be taking it in both ends twice, studios are all running for the hills thinking they can make it on their own, stuff like that.

There is a 40% chance I'll cancel my sub as well. Let them buy Hulu instead. It already sucks and frankly can't get worse.

If Apple buys Netflix it will be the end of online streaming, I will never use any apple product, ever.

Reactions: Madoc
like this
There is a 40% chance I'll cancel my sub as well. Let them buy Hulu instead. It already sucks and frankly can't get worse.

Pretty sure Disney owns a chunk of Hulu right now. I'm genuinely curious what they'll do with it.

Disney had a stake n Hulu, along with Fox and Comcast/NBC/Universal. Now Disney has a majority stake and it is pissing off Comcast.

I like Hulu myself. Not crazy about the new update they did, but the content is fine.

Weird....Wall Street expects large conglomerates to use their tax break to secure their monopolies by snagging up extra levels of the supply chain rather than paying workers or moving production facilities back to US soil....who would have suspected?
That's what you get when the government makes a Faustian bargain with monopolies to enable Social Engineering in the workplace.

Good points, but I don't see Apple succeeding in the content creation/original programming business. Planet of the Apps? Carpool Karaoke? And they want to spend $1B in 2018 when HBO, Amazon and Netflix are spending 2-4x more? And all that crazy show green-lighting that Netflix does now will come to a stop under Apple.

I thought they where supposed to use those tax breaks to hire more American employees. ;) kidden this sounds like pure BS... I'm 60% sure.

To rephrase exactly what the title says, citi says Apple will likely not aquire Netflix.

if it ever happens i'd cancel my netflix sub within an hour of the announcement but we all know disney would buy out netflix long before apple ever would.

I'm with you on that.

But, with only a 40% chance, gonna say that this is most likely not happening.

Less likely than SEX PANTHER

3042055549_4ef26ff327_z.jpg

"Historically, Apple has avoided repatriating cash to the US to avoid high taxation. As such, tax reform may allow Apple to put this cash to use. With over 90% of its cash sitting overseas, a one-time 10% repatriation tax would give Apple $220 billion for M&A or buybacks."

All I read when I read this was "We want to use the system that allows us to be rich, but we don't want to pay our fair share of taxes on the money we make."

If I as a private citizen don't fucking pay may taxes... THEY THROW ME IN JAIL. Yet, avoiding paying taxes is legal (loophole legal) by funneling it overseas and I am supposed to believe that cutting their taxes even further will all of a sudden make them decide out of pure altruism to bring that money back to the states? Please...

Back