there a trick to formatting a 1tb drive?

Ruckus

Hardforum Moderator-in-Chief
Staff member
I bought a couple hitachi 1tb drives from FS/FT, finally got around to installing them into a win 7 64 bit machine. nstalled the first one and off the bat the thing was reading it saying it was a 5.4TB drive???? unformatted. so i deleted it and recreated it as a 1tb drive, guessing it was part of a raid or something? anyways using disk management in win 7 assigned a drive letter then said to format in NTFS. well it went for about 5 minutes and then it crashed. couldnt even see the drive anymore. rebooted and it sees the drive again but still not formatted. told it to format again another 5 minutues in the drive disappears from disk management again. am i missing something?

Did you try both drives with the same result? It sounds like what you describe may be a faulty drive but you said you have a couple. You can rewrite the partition table in disk management by right clicking on the drive (far left where it says total capacity of the drive) and choosing "initialize disk". Then I think you have to choose "simple disk" or something like that (not near a windows box ATM). Then you can create a partition the full 1TB and format it. Windows should give it a drive letter automatically at that point.

Dustin

Hrmm sounds to me like a bad drive. You can try and download a low level format utility. Acronis has some disk management utilities you can use that can see all the drive in it's formatted glory and erase and let you create a new oartition(s) on it.

Search Acronis Disk Director.

Also download a trial copy of HD tune and use the Smart tool. It will tell you if there are any really bad codes to be worried about. If you see any of the bad ones, you need to do a serial number search on the drive website and find out if it is under warranty. If so RMA the drive. I have had ZERO problems using RMA services of both WD, Seagate, and Samsung.

hooked up the 2nd drive (unplugged the first) and it wont even let the computer post :( Im officially getting pissed.

acronis worked for disk 1, gonna let it run a couple days before i put anything worth saving on it though. disk 2 im not sure why i cant post when i plug it in

Hmmm yeah that's a little odd, just the odds of 2 lemons in one batch. I suppose it's possible though, if you have another system to throw it in I'd try that because it could be some kind of firmware weirdness with your SATA controller.

Dustin

well the drive that installed about an hour later started clicking. then 15 minutes later just died. and they were not store bought, I bought em off FS/FT, problem is I didnt install em right away, I waiting a couple weeks because I was working long hours and didnt have time.

One would think that's somewhat of a blessing-in-disguise by not having put them into potential use, put a ton of data on 'em and then possibly losing it all just now. :(

Would still consider contacting the seller, I suppose.

I bought a couple hitachi 1tb drives from FS/FT, finally got around to installing them into a win 7 64 bit machine. nstalled the first one and off the bat the thing was reading it saying it was a 5.4TB drive???? unformatted. so i deleted it and recreated it as a 1tb drive, guessing it was part of a raid or something? anyways using disk management in win 7 assigned a drive letter then said to format in NTFS. well it went for about 5 minutes and then it crashed. couldnt even see the drive anymore. rebooted and it sees the drive again but still not formatted. told it to format again another 5 minutues in the drive disappears from disk management again. am i missing something?
What is motherboard?
Any other connected SATA devices?

I bought a couple hitachi 1tb drives from FS/FT, finally got around to installing them into a win 7 64 bit machine. nstalled the first one and off the bat the thing was reading it saying it was a 5.4TB drive????

That sounds reasonable.

unformatted. so i deleted it and recreated it as a 1tb drive, guessing it was part of a raid or something? anyways using disk management in win 7 assigned a drive letter then said to format in NTFS. well it went for about 5 minutes and then it crashed. couldnt even see the drive anymore. rebooted and it sees the drive again but still not formatted. told it to format again another 5 minutues in the drive disappears from disk management again. am i missing something?

I believe the drive is DOA Look at the SMART status with CrystalDiskInfo. If it is anything other than good you have a hard drive that is either dead or has physical problems. Was the drive packed well? Bad shipping can kill drives very easily.

I had the same thing happen to me with a used drive I got here but it was full of 750Gb of data when it took a dump.

acronis worked for disk 1, gonna let it run a couple days before i put anything worth saving on it though. disk 2 im not sure why i cant post when i plug it in

I would still do a full format. Acronis probably did a quick format and that does not verify that the drive is functioning.

What is motherboard?
Any other connected SATA devices?

Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R Motherboard Rev 1.0
640GB HD working fine for over a month and a sata DVD-R drive working the same amount of time

How does Hitachi determine warranty eligibility? I always assumed it was based on Date of Manufacture, but I've never had a Hitachi die (well not recently) so i don't know. You need to be original purchaser? Good to know.

Dustin

Back