TheDingy stole my money, STAY AWAY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you use present funds in your paypal account or transfer from your savings account with bank transfer you don't get hit with a fee. Use any CC and you will have a fee incurred.

OK, sending PP as gift as fine to members with good reputation and feedback.
You sent as a gift to someone with no reputation.
It's not fair to say it's never appropriate.... great way to save money on an already safe transaction.

Update:

Still no response from TheDingy.
I reported him to both police and ic3.
Neither Paypal nor my bank is of any help. Didn't expect much there anyway...

So, pretty much no change. I'm still out of $350 and some lowlife still thinks $350 is worth all the bad Karma.

I'm still amazed at the distance he went to get $350 from me. I mean, this guy PM'ed, emailed and called me many times. Plus, he's been trying to find a "buyer" (read, someone stupid enough to send him as "gift") for a long time. All that for what? $350? I can't process it... it's really beyond me.

I'm starting to think this guy could still be around with another nick. So, beware, DON'T "GIFT", unless you're certain (well, how you can be certain is up to you).

Also, if anyone wants to learn this guy's name and PP address, PM me. Not that he can't give you a fake name or address (who says what I have isn't fake, right?), but at least you can avoid the obvious...

Thanks for your comments. Some supportive, some not so much, which is fine. I know my fault but I cannot accept any argument implying I deserved it. It would be like saying a woman with a mini-skirt deserves to be raped. So, nobody should miss the fact that this guy stole my money. End of story.

Thanks for your comments. Some supportive, some not so much, which is fine. I know my fault but I cannot accept any argument implying I deserved it. It would be like saying a woman with a mini-skirt deserves to be raped. So, nobody should miss the fact that this guy stole my money. End of story.

You're right. It may not have been smart to do what you did, but you certainly didn't deserve it, and no matter how you slice it - TheDingy is wrong and scammed you. Good luck.

I disagree with your comparison and i think those two scenarios are not even close to be compared against each other.

The fact is you didn't do your research/homework and sent 350 dollars as gift to some guy with zero reference concluded that that would be an expensive lesson for you.

Anyway, good luck on getting your money back.

I disagree with your comparison and i think those two scenarios are not even close to be compared against each other.

The fact is you didn't do your research/homework and sent 350 dollars as gift to some guy with zero reference concluded that that would be an expensive lesson for you.

Whatever man. You're entitled to disagree. It was certainly an exaggerated analogy, and if you don't get it I have nothing else to say. I just cannot agree with "if a person does something stupid, it's fair to take advantage of it at his expense" mentality. That is an opportunistic, evil mentality, and it'd be sad to see if it becomes the norm. I would rather like to think that in all these millenniums, we developed a common sense of right vs. wrong.

You're victim blaming and downplaying the guy who stole his money.

So it's OK to steal from someone because they are less educated, or made a poor impulse decision?

I'm starting to think this guy could still be around with another nick. So, beware, DON'T "GIFT", unless you're certain (well, how you can be certain is up to you).

Just pointing this out, in case it hasn't been made abundantly clear yet...

(23) Charging fees for PayPal is not allowed, nor is requesting a "gift" payment for goods (which gives the buyer no protection). Both violate PayPal's TOS.

While the rule doesn't explicitly say as much, the seller (you) in this case is just as much at fault here for not abiding by the implicit rules - which is don't use or agree to gift/personal paypal, period.

So, what did the cops say?

I gave them a written account of everything, with all the supporting documents; emails, PM's, Paypal transaction, etc. They said they would contact his local PD and let me know if there are any developments... They told me I can go ahead and talk to his local PD as well, and I might really. I've been very busy with work and family...

I gave them a written account of everything, with all the supporting documents; emails, PM's, Paypal transaction, etc. They said they would contact his local PD and let me know if there are any developments... They told me I can go ahead and talk to his local PD as well, and I might really. I've been very busy with work and family...

I'm telling you it's worth your time.

In my situation it only took 4-5 days after I contacted his local PD and I had a refund. They didn't fool around. It's totally luck of the draw on how his local PD responds though.

Hopefully he lives in a smaller city without a lot of high crime going around and they have time to teach him a lesson.

I'd personally drive to this guys house and smack the fuckhead for scam if it happened to me. Then call the cops. If the drive wasn't so long distance though. It'd be great if he lived in the same state as the OP.

Funny i had a similar story to this friend of mine came over and we had a LAN party played games etc and what not that..... did this for 2 days and on Sunday he went home to sleep and said he would be back, he left all of his stuff at my house and I didn't think anything of it. 2 days later he never came back because he was busy etc and said he would be coming by to get his computer, next thing you know cops show up at my house asking about computers and stuff and im like wtf? Apparently my friend bought shit here on hardforum and scammed someone and the person actually drove here to come get it and called local PD. Needless to say I never let him bring shit over to my house again. Watch who you LAN with! of course who LAN's anymore anyways?

Last edited:
Funny i had a similar story to this friend of mine came over and we had a LAN party played games etc and what not that..... did this for 2 days and on Sunday he went home to sleep and said he would be back, he left all of his stuff at my house and I didn't think anything of it. 2 days later he never came back because he was busy etc and said he would be coming by to get his computer, next thing you know cops show up at my house asking about computers and stuff and im like wtf? Apparently my friend bought shit here on hardforum and scammed someone and the person actually drove here to come get it and called local PD. Needless to say I never let him bring shit over to my house again. Watch who you LAN with! of course who LAN's anymore anyways?

You have a "friend" that tried to pin his theft on you and you seem rather calm about this. Either you have horrible friends (and therefore by association...) or you're the biggest punching bag I've met.

Was by association, my friend's brother was the scammer. Granted I never let him in the house again after that. When I was 20-21 and it was summer time and school is out we used to do LAN parties all the time and friends would come over. Even as a kid we used to have friends in the neighborhood come over to play SNES and kick each others butts in Street Fighter 2.

Last edited:
I know this thread is older, but I couldn't help but wonder if you ever thought about calling Dell? You mentioned something about him saying that your address was associated with theft or something like that, I don't remember your exact words.

Anyway, you have all of his information, and I know this won't get you your money back. But it's worth a try to call and see if you can get any more information for the police.

I'm guessing what he said about your address is actually what the story is about his address, I bet the monitor you were supposed to get, he was trying to get as a replacement for one he claimed didn't show up and Dell would just ship him another monitor.

Dell was notorious for getting scammed by consumers. A friend of mine when I lived in Austin, TX a long time ago, worked at Dell and told me about how people would place orders, receive them, and then call and say they didn't get the item(s), and Dell would just send replacements. However, after doing this a few times, you end up on Dell's list of addresses where they won't ship to.

I'm sorry this happened to you, I've been scammed before when paying as gift, and I'll never do that again unless it's family, or close personal friend IRL.

I hope this post gives you something to go on, and really hope you get your money back! I have 5 kids and I cherish every penny we earn!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back