TheDingy stole my money, STAY AWAY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

theGryphon

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey everyone,
Unfortunately, I was tricked and robbed by TheDingy in our "deal" for a Dell U3014 monitor: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1798821

Our deal was $350 plus a GTX760 for a U3014 that was supposed to be shipped to my address directly from Dell as part of an advance replacement. See, he told me he has a U3014 that needs a replacement and he has advance replacement plan with Dell. We talked on the phone, and he sounded like a late(?) mid-age guy with a convincing tone. Such a con artist...

I sent the money on Feb. 17, and he has been toying with me ever since. First, he said he put in the order and Dell is processing it. Then, he came back by saying he accidentally put in the order for a UP3214Q and that I may receive it any day. He even said he put my apartment number wrong and made me go and talk to my neighbor! In the meantime, we talked on the phone several times, so although I had been growing increasingly nervous about the whole ordeal but I couldn't imagine a person lying this intricately for a mere $350.

Days later, no package showing, I insisted that he put in the U3014 order already. Apparently, he was using the UP3214Q lie to keep me waiting. Two days ago, he said he put in the order for U3014 but then went silent. After my emails, he called me today and he started saying things like someone at my address has been doing fraud with Dell monitors, whatever that means! Yup, I had finally realized that I had been conned all along. I kindly asked that he refunds me my money, saying that it's not the right thing to do to rob an honest family man off his hard-earned money. He hung up on me saying he will refund, but he did not respond back to my emails kindly asking that he does the right thing.

My stupidity was that I sent the money as PP gift to get a better deal. DON"T DO IT EVER! I know, I know it's grossly stupid of me and I'll remember this all my life. I'm out of $350 off my hard-earned money, the money I could spend for my two little boys...

The main reason I took the time to write this down is to make sure that nobody ever does business with TheDingy. I have his real name, address and phone number but I'm not gonna put it publicly here. He can still make it right by refunding my money in full. I'd like to keep the door open for him to respond here, maybe explain his side of the story and make things right. Until then, please do yourself a favor and stay away from TheDingy.

I let him know that I'm putting this thread up. If he still doesn't respond, I'll go to the police. I told him that too, and I'm not bluffing. I will not let this go. All the PM, email, and phone conversations should be more than sufficient to charge him with fraud. As I said, I have his info, so he should be easy to locate...

Best of luck to you in getting this sorted.

I'm glad to see that you posted the part about learning your lesson and never using the Gift option again.

For folks reading this...if the guy asks for a gift payment simply walk away and if the deal is too good to pass on, then offer to pay the 3% P/P fees but never give away your rights as a Buyer to an unknown individual just so he can screw PayPal out of the fee that he agreed to pay when he opened his account.

Also remember that you have no recourse when you make an Amazon Pmt unless you use a C/C and even then a chargeback will almost for sure result in your account being closed.

appears he has zero heatware unless its under a different user name. I honestly don't know what you was thinking. I wouldn't have even sent this guy normal paypal payment let alone a gift. Hopefully he will do the right thing. I might have overlooked it but did you actually send him the GTX760?

Wow.. you fell for the advance replacement scam?

edited at the request of the OP.

Last edited:
Remind him of one of his recent posts.

"This buyer is a tard and should POUND SAND! I recently had a buyer on eBay try to screw me out of about $1500, but I got him in the end! After 59 days having having two monitors that he picked up in person and TESTED! Say that they were broken in shipment! He has been a jerk, threatened everything etc. well his positive feedback on eBay saved my arse with the credit card company. Along with the fact that I use a method of marking the internal parts of the monitors I sell that will show they came from me along with video of every one I sell. Over the years I have had five or six of these jerks that do this type of stuff, they should die a horrid death! This guy lives four hours from me, but I told him I would give him the LED monitors over the LCD ones that he bought if he would drive over to pick up well, he did, I video taped everything and then the local PD did a nice thing called arrest on suspicion of fraud! I usually prefer local sales even though I get a lower sale price but this is the kind of thing you have to deal with"

Call the cops in his area, present them with all the PM's and emails and his information, and let them have at it. Scum like this need to learn.

appears he has zero heatware unless its under a different user name. I honestly don't know what you was thinking. I wouldn't have even sent this guy normal paypal payment let alone a gift. Hopefully he will do the right thing. I might have overlooked it but did you actually send him the GTX760?

I know... This is probably the stupidest thing I did in a while.
No, I didn't send him the card...

that really stinks man, sorry it happened.

did you send the gift payment via CC? you may be able to win a chargeback dispute if so. i've sold small amounts of crypto for gift payments and have had a chargeback or two filed against me.

FM Fixxer that made me lol, that is the best way of doing things, keep all the info and submit directly to the police, it is their function to serve and protect after all, no one deserves going through this crap OP I feel for you I really do, but at the same time you opened yourself up for this inadvertently by doing things in the fashion they were done, this guy deserves to get the book thrown at him for sure, hopefully he posts on this thread though I doubt it.

I had a good friend who went through the same thing.

He filed a complaint with the police department. They basically said since it was across state lines he was SOL.

So he contacted the the sellers local PD and was told the exact same thing.

Good luck. Seems like the police would intervene but most do not across state lines.

If its the same state, you might be in luck.

Look on the bright side: you'll only going get conned once and it could have been much worse. Next time you will know better. :)

Definitely sucks that you paid w/ PP gift. I only send gift payment for small transactions. REGARDLESS, the seller should still be held accountable here and be banned if he proves to be a deadbeat. Taking someones money via PPGift is even worse.

Lesson learned - the hard way. Ouch! That said, scammer is still responsible. Hope you get justice, OP.

Screw the police, go pay him a visit and break his legs, that'll teach him.

Also ask the mods to have him banned from this site.

He sent me a pm asking if I was still looking for one. What was the date you bought/traded for it? We all make mistakes and that is how we learn. No big deal, chalk it up as a lesson learned. But hopefully it will get sorted out in the end.

02-25-2014, 01:47 AM
TheDingy Limp Gawd, 1.7 Years

Dell Monitor
Are you still looking for a monitor? I have a U3014 and a 32" 4k monitor.

I had a good friend who went through the same thing.

He filed a complaint with the police department. They basically said since it was across state lines he was SOL.

So he contacted the the sellers local PD and was told the exact same thing.

Good luck. Seems like the police would intervene but most do not across state lines.

If its the same state, you might be in luck.

MANY years ago I had a problem with a purchase I made online.
I contacted his local police department with all my proof and they paid him a visit. It was enough to scare him to refund my payment.

It probably depends on the local police department and how much proof you can provide them with. They won't go arrest him right away like in the movies but they will gladly "go ask him questions". If he lives in Chicago or New York City etc. you might be SOL because they have a lot better things to do. If it's in a small town I think you'll have a lot more success.

GOOD LUCK

P.S. While it was very stupid to send via Paypal Gift I still don't blame the OP totally. He's not the one who SCAMMED the guy...he just made a stupid move and now has to deal with it.

Learned my paypal gift lesson the hard way. It was only $70 but it could've been a lot more. Was a well respected member of a forum with a PP verified account. Was buying some peripherals off him and I wanted about $300 worth. I sent it to his PP Verified account as a gift but it was immediately rejected. He told me to send to his alternate PP which I found suspicious so I told him I only wanted 1 part for $70. Week later he vanished taking about $5K in purchases from various forum members. Lesson is, don't PP gift for purchases unless you are within living distance of the person, even well trusted members can take off.

Any time a seller requests a gift payment from me, I tell them only if they ship first. And I always refuse to accept gift payments when I sell items. Not worth the hassle for 3%.

Do it at an internet cafe if you're not tech savvy enough with VPN's and such. I did it to a lecturer that gave me the shits back in my first uni.

SMH. Have you tried contacting paypal? I know you paid in gift, but it would alert paypal that this fag is a scammer.

lets keep the discussion of illegal activities off the forum please

Good thing I didn't deal with this guy. He wanted to trade for one of my Macbook Pro's. Then offered to "cross-ship or something." Didn't want to go first even though I have 50+ flawless heat and he had none. Even gave me a call trying to convince me lol.

FM Fixxer that made me lol, that is the best way of doing things, keep all the info and submit directly to the police, it is their function to serve and protect after all, no one deserves going through this crap OP I feel for you I really do, but at the same time you opened yourself up for this inadvertently by doing things in the fashion they were done, this guy deserves to get the book thrown at him for sure, hopefully he posts on this thread though I doubt it.

It may take them a while to look into it as they may have a dept for that, or prioritize other things, but he'll get what's coming to him. Fraud is fraud. I wish you the best man.

Sorry about what happened. At the very least life lessons learned the hard way are never forgotten.

You could even say...The dingy ate yo baby?

Screw the police, go pay him a visit and break his legs, that'll teach him.

Also ask the mods to have him banned from this site.

Why not just feed him his parents in a chili cook-off and then invite over his favorite band radio-head to laugh at him.

Sorry about what happened. At the very least life lessons learned the hard way are never forgotten.

You could even say...The dingy ate yo baby?

Why not just feed him his parents in a chili cook-off and then invite over his favorite band radio-head to laugh at him.

The interesting part being that Dingy and you are both Limp Gawd's at 1.7 years.

Even gave me a call trying to convince me lol.

If he gave the OP his legit phone number that is half the battle. OP has to contact the local police department where he shipped it to ASAP. As long as the OP does all the work and provides it to them in an easy to follow way I think he could have some success.

OP let someone jiggle his balls and he didn't like it.

Lesson learned, keep other peoples hands out of your region

I still choose to use gift selectively, it a nice gesture sometimes. People send it to me all the time too, with or without me asking.

The way I see it, people get ripped off all the time, regardless of how they send money. Protecting yourself is not just about, how you send the money, but how much common sense you have.

I'm sorry to hear this happened.
I only gift to a small circle..
You will know better next time, right?
still..owch..
@ least you still have your GPU :)
Also..Good advice from Reefa :D
If they ask for gift..offer a little more to cover the fees.I did that recently.

Although this was definitely a scam, I disagree with sending paypal as a gift, I personally prefer paypal funds to be sent as gift because no fee's and also the chargeback scam going on. I would soley rely on heatware for verification purposes. It's like selling on ebay no one wants to deal with the 10% fees associated with the sale

I have done many purchases and sales on here and never had any issues with sending or buying with pp gift

Although this was definitely a scam, I disagree with sending paypal as a gift, I personally prefer paypal funds to be sent as gift because no fee's and also the chargeback scam going on. I would soley rely on heatware for verification purposes. It's like selling on ebay no one wants to deal with the 10% fees associated with the sale

For sellers like myself, it almost seems as though all the years I spent building my rep at heatware are now useless. I've tried selling items and people just won't buy unless it's paypal and if you even mention gift, might as well take shelter for the shitstorm about to come at you.

So sorry to hear about this! I've been burned in the past as well. Sending as a gift = huge red flag.

You do realize that even when one sends Paypal "gift" there is a fee involved - it's payed by the buyer rather than the seller, therefore the buyer is paying more than the agreed upon price for your item than you're selling.

And additionally, if the payment is funded via credit card, it can still be easily 'charged back' even as a gift payment. Heck, even if it wasn't credit card funded, it can still easily be reversed - go ahead, ask me how I know this.

I've never been hit with fee's and Ive send and received money via gift on paypal... I think it might be becase i have bank account linked or because premier member i dunno

I've never been hit with fee's and Ive send and received money via gift on paypal... I think it might be becase i have bank account linked or because premier member i dunno

The fee for gift payment is incurred if you use a credit card as a funding source, which if you're paying for goods - let's be honest, situations like this dictate that if you as a buyer aren't got to at least be smart and use Paypal properly and take advantage of its buyer protections, you may as well at least protect yourself though your credit card.

Of course this is moot if you're stupid enough to carry a balance in your Paypal account in the first place, as Paypal will automatically use balance funds prior to using ANY other funding source.

Long story short: If you're using gift to pay for goods, you're violating both Paypal's ToS as well as the forum rules. "Good luck with that."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back