Theater Owners Are Furious About Netflix’s New Movie

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Beasts of No Nation, Netflix’s first original film, is now available to stream on Netflix. While it will also be shown in select cinemas, theater owners aren’t happy at what releases like this could mean for their business.

Earlier this year, major movie theater chains AMC, Regal, Cinemark, and Carmike told Variety they would refuse to screen Beasts, which stars Idris Elba. The outcry comes as the movie theater business faces similar pressures to those that torpedoed physical video stores—more and more viewers are shifting their entertainment habits online.

worlds-smallest-violin.jpg

I will say that they should at least give theaters a little bit of a lead. Not the normal 3-6 months, but at least one month. If you want it to be in theaters you can't be giving it away "for free" to millions of people and expect people to go see it

I don't know what they're angry about. I wouldn't pay to watch that in theaters.

Well now it's time for theater owners to put up or shut up... how often do they go on about that "movie experience" that can't be replicated outside of a movie theater?

That said never heard of this movie before today. Has there been much in the way of promoting it? No? Then why are theater owners getting their panties in a twist? I'd refuse to show it just because I've never so much as heard of the movie before.

"The movie experience" is exactly why I haven't been to a theater in years, YEARS i tell you.

Once you accept your butt rape and buy a ticket, then fork over 30 more dollars for drinks/popcorn/candy, you get the full experience of people yelling at the screen, kids running around all over the place, and selfish fat fucks who still don't know how to mute their cell phones.

There's only one thing the movie industry can do to win me back... blowjobs. Yup, you want me to spend that much money, you get some 18 to 35 year old woman in there in front of me on her knees and blow me for at least 20% of the movie and I'll put up with all the other shit happily.

Last edited by a moderator:
"The movie experience" is exactly why I haven't been to a theater in years, YEARS i tell you.

Once you accept your butt rape and buy a ticket, then fork over 30 more dollars for drinks/popcorn/candy, you get the full experience of people yelling at the screen, kids running around all over the place, and selfish fat fucks who still don't know how to mute their cell phones.

There's only one thing the movie industry can do to win me back... blowjobs. Yup, you want me to spend that much money, you get some 18 to 35 year old woman in there in front of me on her knees and blow me for at least 20% of the movie and I'll put up with all the other shit happily.

Clapping.gif
[/URL][/IMG]

Wow, what theater are you going to?

I spend $20 on two tickets for the wife and I. Occasionally I'll buy a popcorn and soda, and I sneak in my own candy if we want any. Where I go, up until the movie starts, people talk. Though, once the movie starts, you don't hear anyone unless its a scary movie and they all scream, or its a comedy and they all laugh. If its a kid-friendly movie, I go to a late night showing, which eliminates the kids running around problem. Of all the movies I've been to, I'm still yet to hear a cell phone go off during a movie.

I applaud your bravery to say something like this in today's PC environment. Recently though I have been going to a theater near my house that sells decent food and good specials on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Tickets are 6 bucks all day, seats are nice and not that many people go on those days so its great.

Now I need to go watch the martian.

With a big projection screen, a superb audio setup, and lazy boys in my theater room, why would I go to a theater and pay their outrageous prices and deal with all the idiots there.

Only times I've eaten anything in a movie theater in the past 25 years is candy and other snacks I've brought myself. I worked in a theater when younger, as a result forever turned off by movie popcorn :D

That said, I think of the movie experience as a huge screen, good sound (not just loud), and being able to experience a movie with others the laughs, the cries, the gasps, everything. Something you just can't get at home regardless of your setup. Kind of like that episode of South Park where Cartman buys his own amusement park, seemed kind of boring doing it all by yourself.

The only thing I would add to this is that many theaters are really dirty. Like feet sticking to the floor and roaches level of dirty.

I usually just go to McMenamins Edgefield, where they have a small-ish theater. Immediately outside of the theater is a full pub with awesome tots, great burgers, and a larger selection of booze then I can count. (admittedly, not that high a number) It's also 21+ only, so no screaming kids running around xD

It's quiet, clean, the people are respectful, and I can dip out of the movie at any time for the 3-5 minutes it takes to grab another pint. Somewhat superior to my home theater setup. Plus.... I'm a crappy cook, and I'm addicted to the Reuben's served there.

Now.... any other theater? Pass. Badly tuned audio, sticky floors, damn kids, and no booze.

I've had both good and bad experiences in theaters. Most recent example being the Martian. Some dude had a problem with a lady talking during the previews and movie start was stopped until he left. Afterwards, movie went off without a hitch. 6/10.

Poor theaters. I rarely go to the movies, but I was excited about this film and would have gladly paid to see it. It's a pretty good film!

Fro new releases, Theaters are way, way, way, way overpriced.

The food and drinks are just as, if not more, overpriced.

Why would I even want to waste money doing that?

I haven't been to a full price movie in years. Not since they were around $5-$6.. and even then I only ever went to a few that I knew I really wanted to see.

The only Theater I go to now is the "dollar" theater.. which started out at $1, but has since gone up a bit to a whopping $2.

I still don't waste money on their food and drinks though.

I imagine most people complaining about theaters in this thread either haven't been to one or have only been to dollar cinemas. But even with dollar cinemas aren't that bad.

Regardless I don't think cinemas care about this movie, article seems like a random person making an epiphany.

I applaud your bravery to say something like this in today's PC environment. Recently though I have been going to a theater near my house that sells decent food and good specials on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Tickets are 6 bucks all day, seats are nice and not that many people go on those days so its great.

Now I need to go watch the martian.

Political correctness is a fad IMO... I see nothing wrong with calling things as I see them. I'm not a racist, I'm an equal opportunity racist I hate everyone equally for the stupid shit they do.

Example: the word retarded, I don't care who you are, how powerful, or how rich, I will use that word till the day I die because it's useful on so many levels. The idea that some busybody asshat can just one day *decide* that a perfectly good word isn't acceptable anymore? Nope, doesn't work that way. I call a spade a spade, and it makes life far more efficient that way.

The only time my GF & I hit the theater nowadays are for IMAX or IMAX 3D movies. Otherwise we'll wait to watch it at home for the same reasons that have already been posted before. There's a great theater nearby that has the Imax tickets for $10 bucks before 5pm (vs other nearby Imax theaters 18-20 all day).

I've found that hitting the 10am round also helps weed out all the knuckleheads too.

Maybe theater owners should take a cue from Alamo Draft House and kick the ass hats who can't manage to turn their phones off out with no refund.

Oh and it doesn't hurt to server beer, decent food and bottomless popcorn and bringing all of it to your seat.

Well said Sir. Well said.

Well they obviously aren't that furious. If they were, they might be changing their antiquated business model. So since they are sticking to the "continue ripping offpeople who are too cheap to buy a decent setup" model, I think they are just mildly irritated.

Yup, the last movie I ever saw at the theatre was either Star Wars episode 3 or Passion of the Christ(whichever was later). I will never again go to any movie theatre because I cannot stand selfish ass rude ass people. Whether it is babies crying, kids running wild, cell phones ringing, or some girl with weaves carrying on a conversation on her phone, really filthy floors and seats, outrageous price of concessions, and etc..., it has turned me off permanently. I would much rather sit in my recliner on my surround sound system running lossless DTS HD-MA or DtHD eating food that I made in a hygienic environment in the peace of my computer room.

I have a really nice home theater room but we still go out to see movies. I don't have an IMAX at home and that can be pretty cool. We may be spoiled but our local theaters are nice. Even if you're on a tight budget we have a local theater with huge reclining chairs for $8 and average concession prices. A few more with decent stadium seating and digital projectors, with a massive $4 bucket of popcorn if you buy the bucket for $20 at the beginning of the year and $5 large drinks. It's not that bad, plus (especially with comedies) there's something fun about being in a room full of people laughing together.

The only time my GF & I hit the theater nowadays are for IMAX or IMAX 3D movies. Otherwise we'll wait to watch it at home for the same reasons that have already been posted before. There's a great theater nearby that has the Imax tickets for $10 bucks before 5pm (vs other nearby Imax theaters 18-20 all day).

I've found that hitting the 10am round also helps weed out all the knuckleheads too.
Same here. I go out of my way and spend additional $10 in fuel to go to the closest real Imax theater with the giant screen. I also go a month later when there is hardly anyone left watching it and I get the prime seating all to myself. Unfortunately it seems a lot of people have picked up on what I'm doing so it's a lot more crowded now even after a month.

I am in the minority here for not frequenting theaters anymore but until theaters figure out a way to kill MST3K style commenting during movies and kill cellphone usage, I'll watch the movies from the comfort of my own house most of the times.

It's going to happen. Better find a new business model before you get Blockbusted.

I am getting concerned about the recent raises in rental pricing on Amazon lately. Most new releases are coming out renting for $7 these days. It used to be $4 SD, $5 HD. Older movies still do.

Video release is structured in a way to milk the gravy train as long as possible, in distinct steps. With the quicker move to video, this apparently will not change.

The cost of streaming a movie to a customer vs. the whole movie theater thing has got to have a huge price difference to the seller. That is, apparently, not being passed on to consumers.

Same here. I go out of my way and spend additional $10 in fuel to go to the closest real Imax theater with the giant screen. I also go a month later when there is hardly anyone left watching it and I get the prime seating all to myself. Unfortunately it seems a lot of people have picked up on what I'm doing so it's a lot more crowded now even after a month.

I am in the minority here for not frequenting theaters anymore but until theaters figure out a way to kill MST3K style commenting during movies and kill cellphone usage, I'll watch the movies from the comfort of my own house most of the times.

The last movie I saw in a theater was The Phantom Menace, and that's only because I won an online Mini Putt-Putt tournament we had at work one day.

Last time I went to a movie theatre I saw the silhouette of a cockroach on the headrest of the person in front of me.

Purely disgusted, I picked up and left. Needless to say, I have yet to go back to a theatre. Not to mention all the other GOOD reasons everyone else has mentioned not to go.

If this would happen at home I would bust out my can of RAID on that sonuvabitch. Can't exactly do that at the movie theatre mid watch.

The writing has been on the wall for a while now, the giant sink hole underneath the theatre industry keeps getting more and more hollow and it's only a matter of time till it caves in all at once. Sure there will still be some around, but no where near the numbers of today.

Once they start making wall sized and affordable oled screens, I'm done with theaters. I give it 15 years.

Last time I went to a movie theatre I saw the silhouette of a cockroach on the headrest of the person in front of me.

Purely disgusted, I picked up and left. Needless to say, I have yet to go back to a theatre. Not to mention all the other GOOD reasons everyone else has mentioned not to go.

If this would happen at home I would bust out my can of RAID on that sonuvabitch. Can't exactly do that at the movie theatre mid watch.

Cockroaches get no respect.

Adapt or die, welcome to the "free market", aka capitalism. Fuck you theatres. You charge more, offer less, and you expect sympathy. Get fucked.

so
no more stink, sticky floors, babies crying, cell phones ringing, people chewing with their mouth open.

Theaters are angry?

It sounds like some of you never heard of Matinee showtimes or happy hours. Here it cost 5.50 a ticket for those, also they have $3 drink AND popcorn on Tuesdays...

Swallowing their pride and embracing the change would seem like the mature thing to do.

Just stop that! Stop making sense!

Movie theaters are kind of like what music industry was 5-10 years ago. Constant price hikes on movies is getting ridiculous. Here in PA/NY area an Imax movie ticket costs $17-19 + convenience fees if you buy the ticket online. I mean come on, WHAT THE FUCK kind if shit is this where a convenience fee is changed when I choose not to bother the ticket employee, they should be paying me that.

I dont go to the movies much unless its something big with explosions and worth seeing, like Age of Ultron was. I mainly buy Imax tickets for the enhanced sound, vs the screen itself.

I have no sympathy. Theaters need to figure out what they can offer people and "a big screen" isn't compelling anymore, many people have their own big screens. The problem is, as others have noted, they just want to keep doing things as they always have and charging a lot and expect people should be ok with that. No guys, you need to work something out.

There's a theater locally that does well, their idea is targeting adults. They have plenty of movies with no kids allowed, period. They have nice, large, comfy seats, a full lunch/dinner menu, and alcohol. So going there is quite a treat. You get good food, booze, a nice screen, good seating, etc. All stuff you could potentially have at home, of course, but it is a very nice enjoyable outing. They are going to be fine.

Also another personal annoyance to add to reasons not to go to most theaters is many of them seem to think that louder = better. No, that's not the case. Movies have a "correct" volume level, their volume is encoded with absolute levels referenced. A proper theater should play back at the levels the engineers intended, with the balance the engineers intended. Instead they seem to like to crank the volume to the point it hurts your ears, and push the bass and treble up too high.

Now perhaps I'm just whiny, but on the other hand I have a reference calibrated sound system hooked to my computer, so I've a pretty good idea of what actual reference levels are supposed to sound like.

You know what might help? A free copy of the Blu Ray or DVD of the movie you just saw as you leave the theater.

LOL never happen.

Back