Theater Calls Cops On Kids With iPhones Over Piracy Concerns

It obviously doesn't annoy you enough to want to do anything about it. If you believe the girls weren't warned before the police were called, I've got a bridge to sell you. You might want to refrain from calling your betters names.

I'll go ahead and swear at anyone who thinks people deserve to be arrested for being annoying. I didn't say people should talk on their phones in the theater and be left alone. But there is an appropriate way to handle problems and this wasn't it.

I'll go ahead and swear at anyone who thinks people deserve to be arrested for being annoying. I didn't say people should talk on their phones in the theater and be left alone. But there is an appropriate way to handle problems and this wasn't it.

Also, Magnus, you annoyed me, so I think you should be arrested.

Also, Magnus, you annoyed me, so I think you should be arrested.

'Youts' are always annoyed by adults. I'd like to think the girls will learn to turn off their phones in the theater but, I suspect it will take at least one more call to the police to get the point across. :D

employees dialed the national 999 emergency number after they spotted a group of 12-year-old girls with iPhones and iPads at a showing of The Hunger Games.

EMERGENCY NUMBER

For fuck's sake, this is in the same category as someone calling 911 when McDonalds runs out of nuggets.

That's all fine and well but I live in a city where currently the representatives of a 30,000+ police force are blaming the mayor for allowing citizens to protest.

So basically you have the heads of PBA unions saying it's the entire city's (primarily the mayor for allowing people to assemble and protest) fault that those 2 officers got shot, not some crazy lunatic from Baltimore.

Well don't hire thugs as cops who abuse power and use excessive force and perhaps tensions won't escalate.

Citizens as well as police are burdened with the responsibility of being like, reasonable people who don't go running around protesting about stuff when they can make a difference in a more constructive way. Seriously, I was around a city when there was protesting and it makes stuff miserable for regular people trying to get around and do things. My whole Saturday was ruined because a bunch of people thought it was okay to plug up the streets when I was trying to get some shopping done. I don't know what it was about, but waiting for like 20 minutes in traffic over someone being angry about something they could just have sent an e-mail to someone about is totally dumb.

Or...or...avoid movie theatres in the first place until the very end of the movie's run, right before it's about to be moved to DVD/Bluray. That way, you can avoid the idiots that like to scream, talk, etc. while shit is going on the screen. If you do any of these, eat shit.

Citizens as well as police are burdened with the responsibility of being like, reasonable people who don't go running around protesting about stuff when they can make a difference in a more constructive way. Seriously, I was around a city when there was protesting and it makes stuff miserable for regular people trying to get around and do things. My whole Saturday was ruined because a bunch of people thought it was okay to plug up the streets when I was trying to get some shopping done. I don't know what it was about, but waiting for like 20 minutes in traffic over someone being angry about something they could just have sent an e-mail to someone about is totally dumb.

I'm not sure what world you live in, but the foundations of this country were built upon the principles of freedom of assembly and right to protest.

I'm not sure what world you live in, but the foundations of this country were built upon the principles of freedom of assembly and right to protest.

Completely agree - but the middle of the highway is not an acceptable place to protest.

EMERGENCY NUMBER

For fuck's sake, this is in the same category as someone calling 911 when McDonalds runs out of nuggets.

Makes me wonder why the dispatcher didn't just laugh at the caller when they told them why they were calling...

I'm completely okay with protests, but I think that we need to set aside like specific places that protesters can go to do their thing with adequate parking, some outhouses, and in areas away from where normal people go to do day-to-day stuff. They can protest that way without disrupting the majority of people who are okay with how things are.

But still, I also think that most protests are done when people get way overly emo and out of control of themselves and they tend to lead to bad stuff like disgusting guys groping women protesters or guys starting fights with police and getting shot then blaming the police for protecting public safety when they were the ones who started the protests to begin with. Like I said, making protests only legal in designated areas away from population centers would help a lot at cutting down on conflicts. I mean, those areas would still need video cameras around and a big police presence, but at least content, peaceful citizens wouldn't have to deal with the traffic backups or the perverts that are part of there being an angry mob.

It obviously doesn't annoy you enough to want to do anything about it. If you believe the girls weren't warned before the police were called, I've got a bridge to sell you. You might want to refrain from calling your betters names.

betters you assume much for an internet dick.

Why are the cops being criticized? I didn't read the article, but the theater should be who's prosecuted for calling the cops in the first place. I believe the cops were just doing their job, right? Granted that should have just laughed at the theater who called them in the first place.

It annoys me too, but if you think this is deserved, stay the fuck out of theaters and you won't have this problem, asshole.

So hes an asshole for disliking the assholes in theaters doing things that they shouldn't be? Gee, guess I'm an asshole too.

Why are the cops being criticized? I didn't read the article, but the theater should be who's prosecuted for calling the cops in the first place. I believe the cops were just doing their job, right? Granted that should have just laughed at the theater who called them in the first place.

Just because someone called the cops doesn't make anything the cops do legal, moral, valid, just, etc. They are hired and paid to know the laws, to understand the rights that citizens have, to understand a situation before acting, and to find the best solution to any problem that requires their presence. We need to end this idea that cops are not responsible for their actions, and it is never acceptable to say "they were just doing their job." With the position of power they are given, their jobs need to be closely scrutinized. When doing so in this instance, like many others, what they did does not hold up.

But hey... at least they didn't murder anyone this time.

The police are all bad. You'll tell me that not all of them murder people. And you're right when speaking directly. But they all have each others' backs. They back each other up. They lie. If I witness a murder and don't report it, I could potentially be charged as an accessory. But that is modus operandi for the police. The only difference between the Nazis and modern police are the numbers of people that were murdered. It is NEVER, EVER acceptable to stand up for criminals in the police force, PERIOD. And it is not acceptable to say they made a mistake. They are hired to do the job and if they make mistakes, they are clearly unable to do the job. At the very least they need to be removed from law enforcement FOREVER, not put on a desk job or given PAID VACATION, and DEFINITELY not being put back on the street with no discipline so they can continue to murder.

I do blame the jury as well.

So you support prejudice and profiling as long as it's of the police, but I bet if someone posted a suimilar type comment about blacks, hispanics, gays or women you would throw a fit.

So hes an asshole for disliking the assholes in theaters doing things that they shouldn't be? Gee, guess I'm an asshole too.

Count me in as well.

As for the theater calling the police, I can't really blame them, it might be an over reaction, but would you want your staff physically removing a group of pre-teen girls? That woulud surely result in a lawsuit or criminal charges againt the employees and the chain.

Also, regarding my statement earlier in the thread that ALL cops are bad, I must make an apology to one moral cop... or, rather, ex-cop... who did the right thing.

Link to petition about this - yes I learned about this from the petition - I will paste a little bit of it below: http://forcechange.com/136595/resto...il&utm_term=0_600a6911b9-cce3675ae0-297868845

After stopping a fellow officer from using excessive force, Officer Cariol Horne was fired from her job and had her pension withdrawn. Horne, who worked as a police officer for 19 years, responded to a call for assistance at a domestic dispute and saw another officer punching a civilian in the face. After the suspect was led out of the house in handcuffs, the officer became violent again and began to choke him.

Horne stepped in, telling the other officer to release the restrained suspect. When he refused, Horne grabbed the officer’s arm off of the man’s neck. The violent officer responded by punching Horne so hard in the face that her nose was broken. Horne was fired over the incident, her pension effectively withdrawn because she was terminated two months before the 20-year mark.

But this is what I was saying before. Nobody speaks up. If they do, they are outcast. This is completely unacceptable. Everyone EXCEPT her should be fired.

Police unions should not exist. They should not be allowed to exist. This sort of thing is all they are "good" for.

Just because someone called the cops doesn't make anything the cops do legal, moral, valid, just, etc. They are hired and paid to know the laws, to understand the rights that citizens have, to understand a situation before acting, and to find the best solution to any problem that requires their presence. We need to end this idea that cops are not responsible for their actions, and it is never acceptable to say "they were just doing their job." With the position of power they are given, their jobs need to be closely scrutinized. When doing so in this instance, like many others, what they did does not hold up.

But hey... at least they didn't murder anyone this time.

Seriously? You wasn't there. The cops, I am sure, ASKED the girls if they could see their phones for recorded footage. Being that they're 12 years old I highly doubt they knew their rights and probably handed over the phones. PERFECTLY legal for the cops to do that here in the U.S., but that happened in UK. Not sure on their laws.

You have the right to give a cop easement to your property or belongings. It's not until they get a warrant where they don't need your permission.

Seriously? You wasn't there. The cops, I am sure, ASKED the girls if they could see their phones for recorded footage. Being that they're 12 years old I highly doubt they knew their rights and probably handed over the phones. PERFECTLY legal for the cops to do that here in the U.S., but that happened in UK. Not sure on their laws.

You have the right to give a cop easement to your property or belongings. It's not until they get a warrant where they don't need your permission.

In their rights or not, they shouldn't have even asked. They should have kicked the girls out and that's it, period. A 12-year-old girl is not in a position to question anything a police office tells them. What were they trying to accomplish?

In their rights or not, they shouldn't have even asked.

That's a dumb statement. I guess a cop should NEVER question anyone's actions. Regardless of what the circumstances are.

IThey should have kicked the girls out and that's it, period. A 12-year-old girl is not in a position to question anything a police office tells them. What were they trying to accomplish?

You got me. Didn't realize you were a troll.

That's a dumb statement. I guess a cop should NEVER question anyone's actions. Regardless of what the circumstances are.

There is no need to see the contents of their phones. At best it is a complete waste of their time and of taxpayer money to prevent a petty 'crime' that kicking them out would have also accomplished. What did they hope to gain from doing so? Just because some theater employee says something to the cops does not change the way the situation needed to be handled.

I actually googled "Officer Cariol Horne" to verify if it's real. If true, that's rather outrageous.

As far as the police searching through the phones, they were probably looking for some pre-teen sexts that they could then harass the girls over.

It'll start happening more and more in the US soon enough. Piracy = terrorism.

I recall reading the MPAA offered rewards to employee's in theaters if they successful arrest someone recording movies or report someone that leads to charges.

BluRay DTS quality? Screw that, I want a 12 year old girl to hold up a shaky iPad to record the movie, probably in vertical mode, with people coughing and making smacking noises eating popcorn and slurping up the last of a soda.

BluRay DTS quality? Screw that, I want a 12 year old girl to hold up a shaky iPad to record the movie, probably in vertical mode, with people coughing and making smacking noises eating popcorn and slurping up the last of a soda.

Not to mention said 12-year-old girl talking to her 12-year-old girlfriends just inches from the microphone!

I bet MPAA would seriously prosecute them if they had anything remotely resembling evidence, though.

2u56zd2.gif

I know it is all the rage lately to blindly hate on the police but some of you..Wow..just Wow.

First The Theater called the police, a little tidbit most of you seem to be forgetting. What they did was essentially accuse these girls of theft. Now when the police came because the "claimed theft" was essentially a recording. Then they have more than reasonable cause to search the phone for said recording. In this instance the police did nothing wrong. They responded to a private complaint of a crime and they "Investigated" it. You don't need a warrant to search a phone or someone's person when they are at a place of business being accused of a crime. Innocent or not the police have a right and a duty to investigate the claim to see if something did or did not happen.

As to the rest of the drivel in this thread..some of you seriously need to get a grip.

Hello - we have now had cameras with phones for maybe 8 years or so? Welcome to the year 2006.
Hollywood is so far out of touch it's not even funny. Times have changed. They need to evolve or die.
People used to go to the movies for air conditioning. AC is now prevalent and no longer a "big deal". Big screens? Some people have these at home. Nice audio? Some people have it at home.
Really, the movie experience is kind of a joke. I pay money to hear other annoying-ass people. I have to smell (and hear) popcorn, snacks, chatter, etc. If I choose to get a snack, it will cost my left testicle.
Now, we are being treated as suspects by carrying in a phone? No thanks. I think I'll sit this one out.

The real idiots here are the movie employees who called the equivalent of 911 for some girls having cell phones in a theater.

I remember back when this was what you usually wound up with when you downloaded a movie.

Also, regarding my statement earlier in the thread that ALL cops are bad, I must make an apology to one moral cop... or, rather, ex-cop... who did the right thing.

Link to petition about this - yes I learned about this from the petition - I will paste a little bit of it below: http://forcechange.com/136595/resto...il&utm_term=0_600a6911b9-cce3675ae0-297868845

But this is what I was saying before. Nobody speaks up. If they do, they are outcast. This is completely unacceptable. Everyone EXCEPT her should be fired.

Police unions should not exist. They should not be allowed to exist. This sort of thing is all they are "good" for.

Lol what an ignorant troll

Ugh, the amount of ignorance I am seeing in this thread is just outstanding.

Instead of talking about the issue at hand, that the cops were called to a theater to arrest people who HAD NOT committed a crime based on laws in that area of the UK, instead people are saying.

-They had a right to search their phones etc, when they did not, because they didn't break the law
-They had a right to arrest them, when they did not, as they did not break the law
-They had the right to hold them based on suspicions of them committing piracy, when they had not done so under the law

No theft etc took place here, if these girls WERE recording the movie, that is completely legal under UK laws in that area.

And then, 90% of this thread turns into thing UNREALTED to the topic:

-Cops shoot people
-People shoot cops
-Protesters not violating free speech laws
-Protesters are violating free speech laws
-ANYTHING else other than the topic at hand

Just, god dammit, I came back to this thread 12 hours later expecting a conversation about this SINGULAR incident, and the rest of you turned it into a shit flinging free for all to bitch about ANYTHING that is remotely related to this event.

All the spineless police sympathizers in this thread are hilarious.
Here's another video of police brutality you can watch and then continue to bury your heads in the sand and pretend there's not a problem.

http://www.thespreadit.com/plainclothes-nypd-punch-12-39276/

Fucking cop runs in like superman to pummel a 12 year old with gut punches.

IS THAT REALLY NECESSARY WHEN THERE'S 4 OFFICERS ALREADY CUFFED AND SUBDUED HIM.

But go ahead and continue to pretend like the problem doesn't exist.

Here's another video of police brutality you can watch and then continue to bury your heads in the sand and pretend there's not a problem.

http://www.thespreadit.com/plainclothes-nypd-punch-12-39276/

Fucking cop runs in like superman to pummel a 12 year old with gut punches.

IS THAT REALLY NECESSARY WHEN THERE'S 4 OFFICERS ALREADY CUFFED AND SUBDUED HIM.

But go ahead and continue to pretend like the problem doesn't exist.

So if a terrorist was Muslim, does that mean all Muslims are terrorists?

Actually no, don't answer, I'm hopping out of this thread.

I wanted to stay on topic, nobody wants to stay on topic, so I have no point being here in this thread. Later.

So if a terrorist was Muslim, does that mean all Muslims are terrorists?

I never said anything about generalizing ALL police as corrupt. My point is there is a problem of brutality and abuse of power that exists that needs to be acknowledged and addressed. The people not willing to open dialogue are those behind "blue code of silence" and the oblivious people that for some reason don't see an issue.

It turns out the kids weren't even the suspects. So yeah handcuffed, surrounded by 4 cops and then pummeled with punches from the hero racing in from the side and then detained even after the victim tells them they weren't the ones.

In a statement issued by the NYPD, it was revealed that the suspect is actually 16, he has been arrested in the past, but he was not the person who assaulted the classmate

If they wanted to see the movie, why did they even bring iPads or use their iPhones? I hate it when people do this.

The cops should have told the theater to go pound sand when they called. They are wasting the cop's time and resources that may have been in need elsewhere where an actual crime occurred.

resorting to name calling, really:rolleyes:

I'm not fan of the police but at the end of the day I'd rather have them around than not have them at all. There would be total anarchy everywhere and every crime imaginable committed.

If wiki is right there are approximately 780K police in the U.S. So an extremely small percentage of them F' up and now we are supposed to go on a whitch hunt and burn them all just because someone named dragonrage, madhatter and the liberal media say we should?

Police are supposed to be peace officers. In this case it sounds like they did their jobs.

If what I heard recently is correct more police are killed in the line of duty that police kill "innocent" victims. Most of them are just doing a job to pay their bills and take care of their family. Stop watching the country dividing liberal media and get off the police hate wagon.

Back