Theater Attendance Lowest In Two Decades

Like this!

7295623.gif

Aw kitteh!

Actually, cheap draft beer (like Yuengling) and $0.50 wings would get me in the door quick and I'd make an effort to watch trailers for movies.

Actually, cheap draft beer (like Yuengling) and $0.50 wings would get me in the door quick and I'd make an effort to watch trailers for movies.

Cinerma here in Seattle just added beer, wine, hard cider taps and it's proving real popular. Other smaller theatres here do the same along with doing dinner and a movie right in your seat

628x471.jpg

Constant bitching about the concessions, good lord they have always been expensive.

Studios taking most of the ticket revenue, plus the fact that the cost of running a business keeps going up causes the theater owners to increase prices on the only thing they make money on.

Looking at the Hollywood reporter article referenced, it appears the international box office is as healthy as ever so that brings into question the quality suggestion (unless the USA is considered a more discerning audience ... and I wouldn't hold my breath on that) ... I think the suggestion that higher prices due to IMAX and 3D screenings have made people more selective is spot on and I think home viewing of materials through streaming, pay cable channels like HBO, and rental places like Netflix are booming still, so people clearly want to watch movies ... just not necessarily in the expensive theatrical venue)

I suspect that with HDTV being well established in the USA there are a large number of people with 60" TVs (or larger) and decent sound systems so that the home viewing experience (especially on Blu Ray) is sufficient to allow people to pick and choose which movies to watch in the theaters and which to watch at home ;)

they will NEVER blame shitty movies for this.

how many fucking trilogies pentilogies sextilogies do we need?

They even made a Taken 3. Same shit, different actors. All innovation and creativity went out the window 10 years ago.

I suspect that with HDTV being well established in the USA there are a large number of people with 60" TVs (or larger) and decent sound systems so that the home viewing experience (especially on Blu Ray) is sufficient to allow people to pick and choose which movies to watch in the theaters and which to watch at home ;)

Yep. This. End thread.

Almost all the theaters in the Omaha/Council Bluffs area renovated with the leather power reclining seats and true stadium-style seat tiers so you're not staring at the back of someone's head. Along with a full bar in just about every theater, some even have a made-to-order grill menu.

$10.50 for a ticket during prime-time show times, which isn't too bad considering much higher ticket prices in many other cities along with their lack of the aforementioned amenities.

I have a bigass projector screen that with a push of a button turns on the projector and lowers the screen just clearing my LED TV, with a roomy $3K leather sectional sofa, cheap top shelf alcohol, much fresher popcorn I can just pop in the microwave, with active-shutter (much better than passive) 144hz 3D glasses if so inclined, with no distractions and can pause and unpause at my convenience.

Why the hell would I spend $30 for my and her tickets and parking, instead of watching at home?

The real problem here is this outdated idea that bluray releases need to come AFTER its shown in theaters instead of at the same time.

There are a few movies that I feel need to be seen in theaters. Marvel Studios, Star Wars, other big action movies, some space movies... Others - I can't see the benefit over a nice home theater. I am a patient man, so I can wait until Blu-ray release.

Now - drop the price a few bucks, add some reason to go to the theater (I can make great popcorn at home) - beer and a nice dinner menu - and I would easily go back. A good dinner, even if it's a few bucks more than going elsewhere, and a couple beers would have me there for the atmosphere.

And for whoever said they are like arcades and not necessary - I disagree. Arcades are very necessary. I miss them. :)

I don't understand people complaining about concession prices?

1. As stated, they have never been cheap.
2. Quality content is subjective, but I haven't felt shorted. If it weren't for comic book movies I'd almost never go.
3. Streaming/Home Theater Quality; this is my suspect for the largest impact. We can simply get movies at very nice quality standards and a large screen format in our own homes. Previously we had to wait longer for physical releases and we often didn't get that epic feel, which we can now attain in our mere mortal homes.

Hell, I remember back in the late 80's my mom would always "sneak in" treats and drinks for me and my sister inside her purse or with my dad, inside his big coat pockets because the prices were high even back then, but my parents were also on a tight budget so, yeah, they had to make cuts.

Theatre concession prices have always blow.

The real problem here is this outdated idea that bluray releases need to come AFTER its shown in theaters instead of at the same time.

Uhh, because the movie studio's would have an absolute shit fit because NO ONE would go to the theatre if they did things like that? :rolleyes:

chocolate popcorn
The one food that looks exactly the same going in as it does coming out.
Arct1c0n said:
Hell, I remember back in the late 80's my mom would always "sneak in" treats and drinks for me and my sister inside her purse or with my dad, inside his big coat pockets because the prices were high even back then, but my parents were also on a tight budget so, yeah, they had to make cuts.
That's what the phone-flask is for:
101228-Nerd%20Approved-bevburry%20flask-hmed-312p.grid-4x2.jpg

Order a cheap coke, then warm it up a little with your own top shelf hooch you brought in. After two glasses, it'll even make Adam Sandler movies seem funny. :D

Well, we've always been complaining and sneaking our own in. :D

That's just part of the big picture, though. High concession prices aren't a deterrent in themselves. Add higher ticket prices, gasoline prices, Adam Sandler movies, lower cost for a good home theater, and you have less people going to the theater.

For me, I also attribute some to having a family now vs. when I was younger. When I was single, I'd go to the movies every weekend. It was cheap. Just a ticket and a soda (and sometimes no soda). Now, it's 4 tickets, popcorn & soda, plus dinner while I'm in town. It isn't as easy anymore. If I could sneak away and go watch a movie alone - I'd still be doing it every weekend.

2. Quality content is subjective, but I haven't felt shorted. If it weren't for comic book movies I'd almost never go.
3. Streaming/Home Theater Quality; this is my suspect for the largest impact. We can simply get movies at very nice quality standards and a large screen format in our own homes. Previously we had to wait longer for physical releases and we often didn't get that epic feel, which we can now attain in our mere mortal homes.

I forgot to add in my post above that most of the theaters in my area also offer free refills if you get a large drink or large popcorn. We'll bring in our own cups and baggies for the kids and can get away with 1-2 large drinks and 1 large popcorn. Divvy everything out during commercials/previews, go get free refills on drink(s) and popcorn, be back before the movie even starts.

One unrealistic CGI packed reboot after another with no character/story development whatsoever. Battle of the Five Armies, want my money back, nuff said, wait, fuck hollywood!

When was the first time that movie came out?

Bullshit on #1...concessions were never this expensive. Sure they were more than you could get in a store but never as ridiculous as they are now.

Bullshit on #1...concessions were never this expensive. Sure they were more than you could get in a store but never as ridiculous as they are now.

blame the studios ... for most movies the studios can demand enormous cuts of the revenues at the boxoffice ... for some blockbusters they take 90-100% for the first few weeks (which is when a lot of movies make the most money) ... theaters don't start to keep half the revenue or more until months into the release (which is why you see dollar theaters showing the movies that have been out for 4-5 months)

I think if the government would rescind the law that prevents the studios from owning movie theaters (passed back in the 60's when they were trying to break the studio theater monopolies) we would see more competition between the studio run theaters and lower concession fees

How can this be? I thought people loved paying an arm and a leg for tickets and overpriced popcorn, candy and soda? Not to mention how much fun it is being crammed into a smelly theater with crying kids and people talking on their cell phones is great too! What's not to like? :D

Cell phones, rude ass people, and their obnoxious ass children is what put the final nail into the coffin for me. I refuse to spend that kind of money only to be annoyed by other people and their crying children. Screw movie theatres and the rude people who go to them.

theaters will price themselves out of business
$9 early matinee, $16 normal or $22 premium seats

I would rather wait a few months and buy the disc for $25 to watch in the comfort of home

That's not so much the theater as it is the bloated movie budgets. During an initial release, the theater usually gets around 5-30% (depending agreement) of ticket price. It goes up the longer the movie is in theater.

They make the most of their money off of concessions.

Let's face it, the payscales have gotten way out of whack for movie/TV stars, athletes, and CEOs. You shouldn't make $100k/hr unless you're pooping gold bricks for a living.

I have a bigass projector screen that with a push of a button turns on the projector and lowers the screen just clearing my LED TV, with a roomy $3K leather sectional sofa, cheap top shelf alcohol, much fresher popcorn I can just pop in the microwave, with active-shutter (much better than passive) 144hz 3D glasses if so inclined, with no distractions and can pause and unpause at my convenience.

Microwave popcorn? Shudder.....

You need to get your self a real popcorn popper with the proper oil and salt.

Cell phones, rude ass people, and their obnoxious ass children is what put the final nail into the coffin for me. I refuse to spend that kind of money only to be annoyed by other people and their crying children. Screw movie theatres and the rude people who go to them.

Amen! This is what drove me away as well. Considering that it costs me a minimum of $35 for two admissions to a "bargain" matinee with a couple of popcorns and drinks,I've got better ways of spending my money instead of having spoiled brats running wild,kicking the back of my seat,while their parents gab away on their phones.

He's probably compare them to Disneyland/SeaWorld/etc prices.

I think if the government would rescind the law that prevents the studios from owning movie theaters (passed back in the 60's when they were trying to break the studio theater monopolies) we would see more competition between the studio run theaters and lower concession fees

Sure, give the studio a monopoly, that will lower prices...

The problem with going to the theater is that it doesn't seem like time well spent. I mean, you go there and watch a two-hour movie, and then you leave. It sucks.

My idea is to change the theater concept entirely. Make the experience more like a museum or galleria. Set up some exhibits relating to the film, like production art or wardrobe pieces. Have another section of the theater that has scripts and artbooks that you could look through while getting a drink.

Obviously, nobody has enough money for any of that but it'd be my ideal experience.

How much are ticket and concession prices? Being Seattle, I'd have to imagine it's super expensive.

I went and saw The Battle of the Five armies the week of christmas in 3D with glasses and it was $15 each online as the upgraded seating is now reserve only, no getting in early and fighting for seats.

Outrageously expensive tickets and concessions combined with terrible movies lately and nobody should be shocked.

The problem with going to the theater is that it doesn't seem like time well spent. I mean, you go there and watch a two-hour movie, and then you leave. It sucks.

My idea is to change the theater concept entirely. Make the experience more like a museum or galleria. Set up some exhibits relating to the film, like production art or wardrobe pieces. Have another section of the theater that has scripts and artbooks that you could look through while getting a drink.

Obviously, nobody has enough money for any of that but it'd be my ideal experience.

Cinerama in Seattle has actual outfits from movies that are rotated around from Paul Allens private collection. No, they don't match up the movie playing, but its helluva cool nonetheless

img_5045costumes.jpg

cinerama-4.jpg

l.jpg

Pretty sure it has to do with a lot of reasons.

Price of tickets & not enough "must see" movies are probably the top two.

I'll go maybe once or twice a year for something cool. Gravity at Regal IMAX 3D was great. Other than that, only theater I need is my man-cave. Redbox Blu-rays for 2 bucks a pop on the 50" in the comfort of my home is the best way for me to enjoy movies these days.

Microwave popcorn? Shudder.....

You need to get your self a real popcorn popper with the proper oil and salt.
Kirkland Signature Microwave Popcorn. Pick some up at Costco, check the ingredients and nutrition info, taste it, and get back to me.

Healthy snack (just coconut oil and lightly salted whole grain corn nothing else and coconut oil is a medium chain triglyceride which is healthy in moderate amounts), easy to make, and not even expensive... because popcorn is puffed corn consumed two or three kernels at a time max, you tend to eat slower and its more filling too for less calories.

Thank me later. Its literally the best popcorn I've ever had, and yes I trashed my old popcorn maker for it... although I think my popcorn maker was like from the 80s or something lol!

Kirkland Signature Microwave Popcorn. Pick some up at Costco, check the ingredients and nutrition info, taste it, and get back to me.

Healthy snack (just coconut oil and lightly salted whole grain corn nothing else and coconut oil is a medium chain triglyceride which is healthy in moderate amounts), easy to make, and not even expensive... because popcorn is puffed corn consumed two or three kernels at a time max, you tend to eat slower and its more filling too for less calories.

Thank me later. Its literally the best popcorn I've ever had, and yes I trashed my old popcorn maker for it... although I think my popcorn maker was like from the 80s or something lol!

Now that I live near a Costco I might have to try that out.

Lived in several cities the past 10 years and it is exactly the same thing in all 3.

Tickets $16 each - for 2 that is $32. If I want to take my family that jacks up to $64.

Just ignoring the horribly distorted sound because "Louder is Better!"
Ignoring all the rude assholes and their cell phones
Ignoring the terribly cleaned sticky floors
Ignoring the horrendously overpriced concessions
Ignoring the 30 fking minutes of advertising I'm stuck sitting through if I want my choice of seats.

At just the base ticket prices I can outright buy it on blu-ray and if it sucks? So what..still cost me less.

Back