The Zune Phone is real and on its way!

480 x 272 screen is kinda meh, but HDMI out is nice. I'm looking forward to using this thing!

Yeah the resolution kind of sucks that said did you see that weight, its practicality the same as a Zune HD 70 grams? This this looks to LITERALLY be a Zune Phone!

This wouldn't be a phone for everyone but for those looking for a lightweight digital powerhouse this could fit the bill very nicely. And remember this won't be the the only Windows Mobile 7 phone.

But I think I like the idea here. Zune phones for media junkies, something a bit more robust like an HD2 for business folks.

I am torn really. I have gone through 3 versions of Android phones (Now on the Nexus One) and I truly love the android platform and all of its integration with Google.

I also have 3 versions of Zunes (Zune 8-Mini, Zune 120-Original, Zune HD) which I love and Zune is totally my music player of choice.

The fact that the phone has Zune software is very appealing to me, but probably not enough to get me to go from Android to WM7........

I'd be interested in seeing this come to fruishion. More competition the better.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I went from an original 30GB brown/green to the golden 80GB to my 32GB personalized Zune HD. Not that I'm a complete Zune whore, but I do anything to keep my money out of Apple's hands. That being said, I love the interface of the Zune HD. Only thing it needs is a larger screen & resolution in the HD2 or N1 range. Making ActiveSync combine the Zune software would be great for media. Wireless N/G. Oh, and it MUST be on VZW.

480x272? Oh come on, they can do better than that. My HTC Touch Pro 2 has a 3x higher screen resolution than that.

480x272? Oh come on, they can do better than that. My HTC Touch Pro 2 has a 3x higher screen resolution than that.

While I totally agree it needs higher pixel count and screen real estate, that is the exact size of the current Zune HD... and lemmie tell you, when watching HD podcasts, it's fuckin gorgeous.

While I totally agree it needs higher pixel count and screen real estate, that is the exact size of the current Zune HD... and lemmie tell you, when watching HD podcasts, it's fuckin gorgeous.
That may be so, but text looks awful at that resolution. Same goes for browsing the internet. If it has no keyboard (which I presume it doesn't to stay small), that just makes it even worse.

Any HTC HD2 users with Skyfire/Opera installed? I'm curious to how the web experience is versus Android and iPhone on those so far....

Zune phone intrigues me!

That may be so, but text looks awful at that resolution. Same goes for browsing the internet. If it has no keyboard (which I presume it doesn't to stay small), that just makes it even worse.

Text is good, but not great. Yes, it has an on screen keyboard, but it really ain't bad. Took some getting used to after using my Omnia's touch screen kbd layout for the last year.

I'll be curious to see if this pans out. If MS has done as well with Windows Mobile 7 as they did with Windows 7 big version, delivers on multitouch, a lot of horsepower, Live integration, front facing camera, video calling, and an easy to use app store, I'll dump my iPhone 3G for it.

I'll be curious to see if this pans out. If MS has done as well with Windows Mobile 7 as they did with Windows 7 big version, delivers on multitouch, a lot of horsepower, Live integration, front facing camera, video calling, and an easy to use app store, I'll dump my iPhone 3G for it.

Who wouldn't! But if the Zune phone is only 70 grams, at least this version, then no you're not going to see ALL of this in that device.

But some of the stuff is already here. Multi-touch works as well or even a bit better on the Zune HD as it does the iPhone and there already is an Windows Mobile App store. Its nothing as fancy as the iStore, but its simple to use and I buy apps on it from time to time. But I also like being able to put any app on it from any place, but iPhoners seem to like the single source deal.

I have a feeling this phone would frustrate the crap out of me. I'm an iPhone user and have been since the first gen came out. I also own a ZuneHD. I love the Zune's screen, I love the visualizations, but navigation seems to be a problem for me. Maybe it's because I have used a different interface for so long but more often than not I want to throw the thing out the window.

God whoever made that mock up on that Gizmodo article needs to be shot. That thing is beyond hideous, it looks like a cheap Chinese MP3 player.

I have a feeling this phone would frustrate the crap out of me. I'm an iPhone user and have been since the first gen came out. I also own a ZuneHD. I love the Zune's screen, I love the visualizations, but navigation seems to be a problem for me. Maybe it's because I have used a different interface for so long but more often than not I want to throw the thing out the window.

What's frustrating about the navigation to you?

SOMETHING is coming, that's for sure. The last Zune update actually added "phone" drivers to the software, so Microsoft is prepping something.

What that something is, remains to be seen for sure.

I would very much like a Zune HD phone- but I'm guessing they won't release this stuff until the Summer at least (I need a new phone within 4 weeks or so).

Here is how I found out about it.

The original suspicion arouse in 2008, an article of it can be found here:
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/07/24/windows-zune-phone-still-in-the-works/

Then further information was recovered during a Zune maintenance time more recently, an article of it can be found here:
http://mygadgetnews.com/2010/01/26/microsoft-working-on-a-zune-phone/
(it was in a file found during a scheduled maintenance)

Then now it is being rumored to be announced at MWC 2010 (Moble World Congress 2010), an article of this can be found here:
http://mygadgetnews.com/2010/02/02/official-zunephone-debut-at-mwc-2010/

I am pretty excited to see if it can compete with Apple's iPhone. I personally believe despite what anyone says, the iPhone is dominant in the smartphone market and just nothing compares to it. Often we hear terms such as "the iPhone killer is here" and other coined terms but the rumors always fall short. If anyone can compete with Apple, it is Microsoft. Wonder if they can pull it off, what do you guys think?

What's frustrating about the navigation to you?

Specifically.... mostly little things that could probably be easily fixed.

1. Sometimes if I have something playing and I hit the side button to bring up the controls to skip or start a song over, nothing happens... like it's waking up and 10 or 15 seconds later it finally shows up.

2. If I am looking for a specific song by artist and I find it and click on it, I want it to play... not bring up another screen that I have to hit play on.

More often than not I end up doing something that skips tracks when I don't want it to but that might just be because i'm used to another interface.

I am pretty excited to see if it can compete with Apple's iPhone. I personally believe despite what anyone says, the iPhone is dominant in the smartphone market and just nothing compares to it.

The ZuneHD pretty well proved that Microsoft can bring it, if they chose to. The ZuneHD is better than the iPod in every way, other than perhaps an App store.

I wish I could wait around for it...

And Apple is second to RIM. RIM is still king.

Did you guys check out the link(s) I posted about the zune phone rumors?

I wonder if this is just a new hoax or if it is real, what do you guys think?

1. Sometimes if I have something playing and I hit the side button to bring up the controls to skip or start a song over, nothing happens... like it's waking up and 10 or 15 seconds later it finally shows up.

2. If I am looking for a specific song by artist and I find it and click on it, I want it to play... not bring up another screen that I have to hit play on.

More often than not I end up doing something that skips tracks when I don't want it to but that might just be because i'm used to another interface.
I have *never* heard of a Zune HD not responding instantly to any controls being used. Not saying it is not happening, but that is very weird. Try resetting your ZHD by holding the power button down for 10 seconds. See if that kills the lag.

As far as inadvertently hitting the controls, I got in the habit of just tapping the power button before slipping it in my pocket to turn off the screen.

I recall "project pink" for the old days of MS phones... and I thought that it has been confirmed by MS people in the past that WinMo 7 Media Edition would contain Zune media player?

Again, Microsoft has been pushing out Phone drivers via the Zune software updates... Why would they do that if they have no plans for a phone?

It seems like it is taking them a really long time though, I hope the end result is a well thought out one that can really compete with the phones currently out in the market. It would probably hurt Microsoft a lot if the phone turns out to be a flop.

It seems like it is taking them a really long time though, I hope the end result is a well thought out one that can really compete with the phones currently out in the market. It would probably hurt Microsoft a lot if the phone turns out to be a flop.

You're saying 3 or 4 weeks is a long time?
It's going to be about 3 or 4 weeks from the time these phone drivers appeared and when Microsoft announces them the middle of this month.

It seems like it is taking them a really long time........

How many months of rumors and such were there between the trickle of information started to your precious ifone coming to fruition? Same for Android... Same for X... Same for Y...

Did you look into 'Project Pink' yet? Find any info on the 'Turtle' or the 'Pure'?

Ina Fried from CNET’s Beyond Binary column reports that sources told them that “Microsoft is still planning to finalize the code for Windows Mobile 7 by summer in order to have the new software on devices that ship before the end of the year.”

They also claim that a phone which connected to the Zune service and which was based on Windows Mobile was also due to arrive this year, and should come earlier in the year ahead of Windows Mobile 7 devices.

CNET’s claims are consistent with various rumours which claim a Zune-compatible phone, which may be branded by Microsoft and the result of work by the Pink team, would be coming in only a few months, and a different branch which would be the actual Windows Mobile used and branded by other OEM’s.

Sorry, I didn't mean to come out sounding rude or biased if thats how it seemed. Just trying to find out. I am excited to see the new phone, hopefully it can compete with the iPhone to a large extent. I have a love / hate relationship with apple, I love the products (in some cases) but hate how they end up being so popular and how Steve Jobs gets all cocky about it.

The Zune I felt was always superior to apple's iPod (I own one myself) and I do like how the features work out. I am interested to hear more news about the finalized product.

Sounds good to me. I love my Zune HD. It makes me wish I had waited for the phone though.

God whoever made that mock up on that Gizmodo article needs to be shot. That thing is beyond hideous, it looks like a cheap Chinese MP3 player.

I know the guy who drew it - it was as a joke on some Zune forums a while back, when a mockup contest turned into an "ugliest possible device" war :p

I am pretty excited to see if it can compete with Apple's iPhone. I personally believe despite what anyone says, the iPhone is dominant in the smartphone market and just nothing compares to it.

You do know that RIMS sales figures dwarf Apples right? Apples nowhere close to passing RIm anytime soon. RIM owns the professional business world.

I do realize this, most professional companies don't hand out iPhone's instead they hand out Blackberries. In my eyes, the iPhone has been the most innovative phone and the numbers continue to climb for sales for the iPhone.

I do realize this, most professional companies don't hand out iPhone's instead they hand out Blackberries. In my eyes, the iPhone has been the most innovative phone and the numbers continue to climb for sales for the iPhone.

In my eyes, the ifone is a shiny bobble for the drooling masses. Most companies hand out BB and WinMo phones that work properly with Exchange servers whereas the ifone does not.

It's stuff like this article that show apple just wants to play by their own rules.

Apple isn't anywhere close to catching or taking RIMS market share. The Iphone still isn't taken seriously in the business world. It simply hasn't proven itself. Maybe in a few years when they work some of the bugs out.

In my eyes, the ifone is a shiny bobble for the drooling masses. Most companies hand out BB and WinMo phones that work properly with Exchange servers whereas the ifone does not.

It's stuff like this article that show apple just wants to play by their own rules.

Exactly. There is a big difference between it being a hit with tech heads, and it being seen as an asset in the corporate world, which it simply is not.

I don't get it. You complain that the iphone doesn't work properly with exchange then link to an article where apple fixed a bug to make the iphone work properly with exchange as proof?

I don't get it. You complain that the iphone doesn't work properly with exchange then link to an article where apple fixed a bug to make the iphone work properly with exchange as proof?

Did we read the same article? How is a glitch according to apple working right? The only ifone that has on-device encryption is the 3GS that *just came out*.

With iPhone OS 3.1, all iPhones identify themselves properly to the server, essentially fixing a glitch in the previous operating system. However, now iPhone and iPhone 3G users that upgraded to iPhone OS 3.1 cannot login to Exchange 2007 servers that require hardware encryption.

Company IT administrators who require hardware encryption to access Exchange 2007 will need to decide whether they want older iPhones to access their servers. If so, they will need to configure Exchange to not require encryption from the iPhone and iPhone 3G.
I did not find an article where apple was vigorously swapping out all the older ifones for free to the 3GS for all professionals that need them to access their exchange servers...

Did we read the same article? How is a glitch according to apple working right? The only ifone that has on-device encryption is the 3GS that *just came out*.

I did not find an article where apple was vigorously swapping out all the older ifones for free to the 3GS for all professionals that need them to access their exchange servers...

We were clearly reading the same article. What I don't understand is your failure to understand that the iphone 2g and 3g lack hardware encryption. Apple fixed a bug so that the phones properly report that they only offer software encryption - that's how it is supposed to work. So again, you're using an article that clearly states that the phones have been fixed to work properly with Exchange as evidence that they don't work properly with Exchange.

If you think Apple owes someone a new phone, encourage them to ask Apple. If they're refused, that's why we have a court system. No skin off my back. I'm not an Apple apologist or defender.

1) I've never experienced a delay like that, when hitting the side volume control. Does this happen no matter what? Perhaps if you've been listening to music for a real long time it is put into a low power mode that takes longer to boot up? I don't know. I've never experienced any sort of delay like that, even with extended playback while the screen has been off.

2) Yes, it would be nice if they added the play button to the left of each song title, if you're viewing your music by song. The artist, genre views have it, so it'd be nice if you could immediately play from the album or song "tabs." If anybody from the Zune team is reading this, put it in a future update please :)

Back