the XFX GeForce 8800 GTs have a bigger fan ?!?

I saw that earlier, I'd get the XFX but I really don't care for Company of Heroes.

From what I can tell the ones we bought from the [H]ardOCP/XFX deal, while called "Alpha Dog edition" are a purely reference design (I'm speaking of the Alpha Dog model they offered at $250), where as this new "Alpha Dog edition" has a slightly higher clockspeed and a slightly redesigned hsf.

Who gives a shit what color it is...do you look at it or use its graphical processing abilities?

Is it actually a larger fan or just an enlarged hole for air intake as the fan underneath the reference 8800gt is actually larger than it seems

Is it actually a larger fan or just an enlarged hole for air intake as the fan underneath the reference 8800gt is actually larger than it seems

The design of this fan needs to be partially covered to create the airflow. This isnt really a fan, so much as it is a "blower" of sorts.

The design of this fan needs to be partially covered to create the airflow. This isnt really a fan, so much as it is a "blower" of sorts.

Alright, is it actually a larger "blower" or just an enlarged hole for air intake as the "blower" underneath the reference 8800gt is actually larger than it seems?

Alright, is it actually a larger "blower" or just an enlarged hole for air intake as the "blower" underneath the reference 8800gt is actually larger than it seems?

If they are advertising is as as a redesigned hsf i would hope its a larger fan. If they "redesigned" this setup though, theyd be foolish to keep the single slot design. If all they did was enlarge the hole for better airflow....then while eliminating some resistance it seems they are giving up volume (of air). Cant comment with any certainty however, no idea what their "new design" is.

I was wondering the same thing.

Some of us have windowed cases,if you dont,why do you care ? Or are you just looking to argue and shit disturb ?

So you spend money to look at your card? Who likes to enjoy the aesthetic qualities of the inside of your case? Just tell me thats what you do...its ok. I still think its retarded, but i also respect your decision.

Also, im fairly certain i didnt mention i cared, only asked a certain question, perhaps to further understand the mentality of caring about the color of a piece of hardware that most people buy for its physical capabilities, not aesthetic. Dont tell me you purchased your card based on the sticker slapped on there by the retailer too...

Also, you didnt directly answer my question either...

Some people just prefer a black pcb over the standard green one. I do as well. It reflects my blue cathodes & uv better. My nic, gpu & sound card all have black pcb's. No need to start flame bait over it. Even if you don't think you are, many of us will see it as that.

So you spend money to look at your card? Who likes to enjoy the aesthetic qualities of the inside of your case? Just tell me thats what you do...its ok. I still think its retarded, but i also respect your decision.
Stop the hating

Also, im fairly certain i didnt mention i cared, only asked a certain question, perhaps to further understand the mentality of caring about the color of a piece of hardware that most people buy for its physical capabilities, not aesthetic. Dont tell me you purchased your card based on the sticker slapped on there by the retailer too...

Do you think maybe its possible to care about more than one thing?

I know quite a few people who have their PCs unfortunately in a prominent place in the living room and have done their best to make it look nice.
I also have other friends who do their best make the inside of their PC look pretty.

Just because you are short minded doesnt mean you have to subject the rest of us to it.
If different colour PCBs doesnt float your boat, go sailing somewhere else.

I'm all for how the XFX make their cards. Great design, I like how they OC all their cards, and their art. But after I learned EVGA has a step up program... it's just impossible to not get EVGA.

I mean, I don't care if I can overclock for an extra 20 MHz due to a bigger fan, in a year or two when it's time to get a new card... I'm saving myself a lot of money

I mean, I don't care if I can overclock for an extra 20 MHz due to a bigger fan, in a year or two when it's time to get a new card... I'm saving myself a lot of money

Step-Up only has a 90 day shelf life after you register your card.

But after I learned EVGA has a step up program... it's just impossible to not get EVGA.

in a year or two when it's time to get a new card... I'm saving myself a lot of money

I'm not calling you stupid, but I seriously think you should read the Step-Up policy, because you have no clue, at all.

Yeah, I just did actually. Sorry, my mistake. I don't have an EVGA card as you can see, and was reading quite a few times about the step-up program, so I assumed it worked that way... who buys a new card every 3 months?? Guess I'm sticking with XFX for when I get an 8800GT in a month :cool:

who buys a new card every 3 months?

Some of us with a 8800GTS 320mb cashed in our Step-Up for the 8800GT 512mb. After it was all said and done it only took $22 for S/H (to send the old card and receive the new) to get a big performance boost in Crysis and other VRAM hungry games. :D

I'll take this one...

The entire point of a windowed case is to show off what you have inside. It's sort of like those hoods for cars that are clear. Having a clear hood on cars isn't my thing, but I don't have super awesome stuff to show off on my car anyway. However, people who are enthusiasts think it's a great thing for one reason or another.

If someone has a windowed case for their PC, that means they'd like to show off what they have inside. Not to just their dog, cat, favorite fish or iguana, but they may be taking their system to LANs for competition or what have you. At LANs, instead of asking someone "what components are you using", you can simply look inside the case and see what they have. When you have awesome components and you know people are going to want to look through your window, you want it to look as pleasing as you can. Cable management is another way to not only improve airflow in your case, but make things look nicer in there.

To have things match in color is pleasing to many people. If I can have a power supply, hard drives, cable sleeving, CPU cooler, and video cards all share a common color scheme, I might receive more kudos for a job well done in putting together my system.

Also, many windowed cases are lighted, making it even easier to see what's working in that nice looking color matched case. All the better reason to have things nice to look at.

Of course when you are gaming, you aren't going to be looking at your case or what's inside. However, while you are gaming, owning everyone at the LAN, people who stop by to see in person just who is owning them might take a look in that nice case and discover there might be an excuse for their lameness in the raw awesome power of your hardware combined with a sense of "now here's a guy who has it all together" by looking at your case composition.

I'm curious how many of the people that think caring about the color of your pcb is stupid would buy a bright pink vid card?:p

And people have to learn to manufacture motherboards with a black pcb... and stop painting their heatsinks... Alu looks good in silver, and copper looks good in copper.

Asus usually has it on the money.. and so does the 680i boards..

So have we come to a conclusion on the fan... and the stress bar?

I just received my XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog edition and noticed the fan and the black paint right away, didn't know the card looked like that and I love it.

Not saying it's a reason to order the card, but the black board looks amazing and the fan will keep the card cool, believe XFX is a lifetime warranty as well. Looked at the BFG's and Evga's but they were sold out, made my decision easier, landed this card for $280 shipped.

I just received my XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog edition and noticed the fan and the black paint right away, didn't know the card looked like that and I love it.

Not saying it's a reason to order the card, but the black board looks amazing and the fan will keep the card cool, believe XFX is a lifetime warranty as well. Looked at the BFG's and Evga's but they were sold out, made my decision easier, landed this card for $280 shipped.

It's got a double life time warranty actually. It's sort of like sending someone to prison for 2 life sentences. But hey!! Looks good on paper :D

It's got a double life time warranty actually. It's sort of like sending someone to prison for 2 life sentences. But hey!! Looks good on paper :D

um.. you know that just means the warranty is transferable right? unlike evga's warranty

LOL that is funny.

But in regards to this version of the 8800GT it does have a larger fan and the heat sink is a better design as well.

you guys must have had these waiting...would have rather had the black PCB and better heat sink design in the [H] deal as opposed to the standard ref. design but oh well.

patience is a virtue (unfortunately I'm incredibly impatient). didn't figure on something like this changing in a week or two's time.

on the positive side, my 640 OC green alpha dog is running incredibly well so far (no issues)!

and the t-shirt is BOSS! :-P

Actually we didnt have that card (maybe in the planinng and production stages but not available) at the time of the Hardocp deal.

Actually we didnt have that card (maybe in the planinng and production stages but not available) at the time of the Hardocp deal.

with all the cooling concerns out there...this should give you guys a leg up on the competition (get it!? i know horrible).

:-P

technology is fast these days (even for 20 somethings like myself).

the GT itself is amazing

Drat, that xfx card looks killer. Would trade it for my bfg in a heartbeat.

Back