The Xbox One Won't Support VR, Because Microsoft Broke Its Promise

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
I'm going to get straight to the point here and let you console peasants know that Microsoft lied to you. Yes, they lied and you aren't going to get VR on the Xbox One for the foreseeable future. I know this is surprising and hard to believe that they would treat you that way, but they are. However, it's not all bad news that I have today and I'm happy to say to the PC master race that Microsoft believes the PC is a better platform for VR and they are going to fully support VR on the PC. Halo VR for the PC? Sign me up!

"We don't have any plans specific to Xbox consoles in virtual reality or mixed reality," Microsoft Chief Marketing Officer Mike Nichols told the website at the E3 video game convention in Los Angeles last week. "Our perspective on it has been and continues to be that the PC is probably the best platform for more immersive VR and MR."

XBOX live should have become a VM that could run on any PC that has the performance requirements long ago. Just imagine the additional subscription $$$$ Microsoft? Leave the consoles for those who could not afford a PC. Win/win.

They don't actually say that VR won't come to VR, they say they don't have "plans specific to Xbox" for it.
This leaves open the possibility that Xbox will get some VR crumbs from the always-available-soon PC Master Race VR banquet.

But just crumbs, mind you, which by definition are crummy.

I started my taste for VR with the samsung gear vr, then I played a friends psvr. Wife got me a vive for last xmas and damn is it fun and not even in the same ballpark.

Beat saber is life btw.

I do feel that the more vr is out there, the more bigger developers would take the chance.

they are playing it safe, having been burned by kinect prolly a wise choice. look at sony and psvr its dont ok sales wise in both hardware and software but it hasent really hurt ms in way.
prolly might be different for next gen just hope they dont balls it up by going the hololens route

they are playing it safe, having been burned by kinect prolly a wise choice.

If Microsoft had no VR/AR presence I think they'd be more willing to risk it. Not that it matters to console folks but they do have a point about the PC being a better platform for VR and with all that's already in place on the Windows 10 side of things brining VR to the Xbox isn't a huge effort.

Honestly, at this point it is probably a smart move. The OG Xbox One can't run VR, and they said that all Xbox One games need to work on all the Xbox One consoles, so I don' think they had much of a choice. Not to mention the next gen is just a couple of years away, so launching VR for the Xbox One now would be a waste of time and money all around. So I am not sure it is a lie as much as something that in the end just didn't work out.

Realistically, they're probably ready to move on from the Xbox One to whatever the next iteration is. At least from a hardware point of view. It's not like porting VR over to it is going to magically turn this generation around. It isn't worth the trouble to support anything new. Especially not with multiple hardware models floating around.
It sucks for anyone that really wanted this, though. The PSVR is pretty cool even if it is kind of rudimentary VR.

Does anyone have a link where they promised that VR was coming to the XBone?

I still enjoy playing games the old way as well! Many don't have good vr yet so still gotta keep them old displays around

For some reason about half the time when I think of home VR units I think of the VR arcade rig the villain hacker had in his apartment in the movie Hackers.

Have you guys seen how they are selling recently? They are getting outsold 2:1 by Sony in North America, the Xbox's strongest market. It's well over 3:1 globally. I would be VERY surprised if they even release another console, they can only lose money for so long...

Not sure what you mean, 90hz is consider the optimal refresh rate for VR. I think PSVR targets 75hz though.

Sony targets 90-120, but I believe developers can go as low as 60 and let the console's "reprojection" tech take it to 90. In any case, the guy you responded to obviously hasn't tried PSVR, it's weakness isn't the resolution or the framerate, but the tracking. PS4 (and especially the PS4 Pro) have enough horsepower to deliver a compelling VR experience...I just wish it had better tracking.

Sony targets 90-120, but I believe developers can go as low as 60 and let the console's "reprojection" tech take it to 90. In any case, the guy you responded to obviously hasn't tried PSVR, it's weakness isn't the resolution or the framerate, but the tracking. PS4 (and especially the PS4 Pro) have enough horsepower to deliver a compelling VR experience...I just wish it had better tracking.

I've never tried PSVR but tracking issues do get mentioned a lot. That's definitely not an issue with the Vive/Vive Pro in my experience.

Have you guys seen how they are selling recently? They are getting outsold 2:1 by Sony in North America, the Xbox's strongest market. It's well over 3:1 globally. I would be VERY surprised if they even release another console, they can only lose money for so long...
You don't have to be selling the most to be selling. I am sure they make a killing off Xbox Live.

There's a winner in every console generation. That doesn't mean the losers pack it up and run away every 5 years. I doubt they're losing money on it. Microsoft is crazy rich.

I've never tried PSVR but tracking issues do get mentioned a lot. That's definitely not an issue with the Vive/Vive Pro in my experience.

No, my brother got the vive and I got to use it regularly before he moved out. It is by FAR the best VR system out there! PSVR is decent...and games like Wipeout are AMAZING, but I still will be building a PC and getting the Pro as soon as I pay down my credit card.

There's a winner in every console generation. That doesn't mean the losers pack it up and run away every 5 years. I doubt they're losing money on it. Microsoft is crazy rich.

Actually it does. Remember the Dreamcast! (and 3DO, and Atari, and Intellivision, and Colecovision...I could go on if you want)

Also, while MS might have a nearly infinite bank account, the shareholders and board of directors don't have much patience for a division that has been losing money since inception. They are hiding their losses in their earning statements, but everyone at MS knows that Xbox is a money pit. Eventually those chickens WILL come home to roost.

Back