The Xbox live marketplace is fantastic..

joemama

[H]F Junkie
Only 3 days and 4 or 5 "re-downloads" later and I've got 51% of Poseiden HD. WOO FRICKEN HOO!!!!1

I saw a news article saying they were "working non-stop" to try to fix the problems with meeting the demand....did they really think there wouldn't be a problem? :rolleyes: Just wondering if anyone is having better luck than I am....never had any issues with the marketplace until the movies came online.

im almost at 60% on v for vendetta. dont be jealous, my electric bill will cover the cost of actually BUYING the freakin hd dvd.

it took me 2 hours to get 1% for v for vendetta HD so I stopped dling called ms and got my 480 points back

That's sad to hear. If Apple can upscale their Music Store into a movie/tv store and the only problem is a slight slow-down for two days, MS should be able to do the same.

Slow-down is expected when new product launches, 1% downloads after 2 hours are not.

Rocketpig said:
That's sad to hear. If Apple can upscale their Music Store into a movie/tv store and the only problem is a slight slow-down for two days, MS should be able to do the same.

Slow-down is expected when new product launches, 1% downloads after 2 hours are not.
You would think that a company that deals with a staggering amount of bandwidth each day (Windows update) would anticipate and be ready for something like this..

I wasn't surprised because from past experience XBOX 360 game demos have been slow. Some times they dl about 60 percent and hang. And those are usually only 1gb.

JohnleMVP said:
I wasn't surprised because from past experience XBOX 360 game demos have been slow. Some times they dl about 60 percent and hang. And those are usually only 1gb.

it only takes me about 20minutse to dl a 600-1000mb demo the hd movies and shows are the only thing that downloads slow

Im sure their HD and movie content are on another server farm. They are having bandwidth problems, pure and simple, which is understandable for a launch that serves 6 gig movies. They've admitted this, and once you give them a couple weeks for the demand to die down, it will work aswell as the rest of the marketplace.

tskiller said:
Im sure their HD and movie content are on another server farm. They are having bandwidth problems, pure and simple, which is understandable for a launch that serves 6 gig movies. They've admitted this, and once you give them a couple weeks for the demand to die down, it will work aswell as the rest of the marketplace.

Thats what I'm thinking as well but you know ms is prob always upgrading the live system adding more servers and bandwith as they think they are needed. I'm sure they are trying to figure out right now how much more then are going to need in the next month or so.

tskiller said:

Still, for a software company, that's inexcusable. Apple added movies to their store and sold 100,000 in the first week... With only a little slowdown.

You can't tell me that XBOX Live is experiencing that kind of bandwidth scaling... Not that many people use the service. Sure, the files are larger, but not enough to warrant these kinds of problems.

Rocketpig said:
Still, for a software company, that's inexcusable. Apple added movies to their store and sold 100,000 in the first week... With only a little slowdown.

You can't tell me that XBOX Live is experiencing that kind of bandwidth scaling... Not that many people use the service. Sure, the files are larger, but not enough to warrant these kinds of problems.

Actually, a LOT of people use the service, and the sell through has been much larger than anticipated. I'm sure they ran some stress tests, but apparently they underestimated. Major Nelson had an update today about it and a work around for those with really slow downloads.

Ludic said:
Actually, a LOT of people use the service, and the sell through has been much larger than anticipated. I'm sure they ran some stress tests, but apparently they underestimated. Major Nelson had an update today about it and a work around for those with really slow downloads.

Heh, one good thing you can say about MS is that they're not afraid to admit they made a mistake.

Unfortunately the same cannot be said for Sony.

Rocketpig said:
Heh, one good thing you can say about MS is that they're not afraid to admit they made a mistake.

Unfortunately the same cannot be said for Sony.
Do we have to go off topic? :mad:

B. W. said:
Do we have to go off topic? :mad:

Just about every thread seems to go off topic these days, so why not? It's a little bit of fun anyway.........

On Wednesday night that service was SLOW. In fact, almost everything on Live was. I was looking at movie titles/descriptions and it would sometimes take minutes for even a description to show up. Seems like everything's fine now, though.

Domingo said:
On Wednesday night that service was SLOW. In fact, almost everything on Live was. I was looking at movie titles/descriptions and it would sometimes take minutes for even a description to show up. Seems like everything's fine now, though.
Yeah, I couldn't even download game demos on Wednesday night, the service was crawling. Thursday morning it seemed as though everything was back to normal, so I'm sure early next week when everyone is back at work Microsoft will add some more servers/increase bandwidth to take care of whatever issues remain.

so at the end of the 2nd day... my v for vendetta is completely downloaded.... if I watch it, it will be gone in 24hrs.. but it took two entire days to download.. it just doesnt add up.

... I wonder if blockbuster is renting out hd dvds.

Back