"The X-Files" Have Been Reopened for an Eleventh Season

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Production is starting this summer for ten more episodes of The X-Files, which will premiere late 2017 or early 2018. Fox revived the series last year, but I thought it kind of sucked because they shot it digitally, so it didn’t look like the classic show at all. The mythology episodes also kind of fell flat. I wonder if we will get another random scene of Gillian Anderson showing her cleavage.

Fox has ordered a new 10-episode revival of “The X-Files,” the classic television sci-fi drama that returned to the network’s air with a limited series last year. The new installments — billed as a continuation of the 6-episode 2016 run, will premiere during the 2017-18 television season. The production will again reunite original stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson with series creator and showrunner Chris Carter, and is slated to begin production this summer. The 2016 limited-series revival of “The X-Files” averaged a multiplatform audience of 16 million viewers, according to Fox. It also averaged a 4.8 rating in the 18-49 demo, according to Nielsen live-plus-seven numbers, making it the fifth highest-rated broadcast series of the season.

qVtNNOg.png

in the 2016 revival the standalone monster-of-the-week episodes were much better then the mythology ones...the alien mythology used to be so interesting and well written but has devolved into an incoherent mess

I'm not sure Gillian Anderson's cleavage is a selling point anymore. Yes I'm expressing ageism.

Also I thought after the mediocre (at best) 10th season they would let the series die. But they're trying to renew everything now. Next we know they're going to renew Lost.
But I hate to break it to them, it's not working, just look at Prison Break's abismal ratings.

The best episodes from last year were the random / funny ones, for sure. They'll probably do it right after the Super Bowl, like last time. I assume the new 24 idea was a bomb, I only watched the one episode.

The best episodes from last year were the random / funny ones, for sure. They'll probably do it right after the Super Bowl, like last time. I assume the new 24 idea was a bomb, I only watched the one episode.

Actually you should have kept going....24 Legacy turned out (IMO) to be a fantastic season. It was seat gripping the entire way through just like the old 24. I miss Kiefer, sure, but he was still an executive producer on it.

As far as the X-Files go, I'll agree on the funny ones, but I was REALLY pissed because I went back through prior to that season starting and watched every arc-plot episode (which were amazing in the original seasons) only to be letdown INCREDIBLY by the crap they had for last years season.

I have mixed feelings on this. I like me some X-Files, but the 10th season just didn't do it for me.

I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but I think I'd actually prefer a series reboot instead. New cast, fresh stories.

I usually hate reboots, especially of things I like, so I can't believe this is actually coming out of my mouth.

A Few weeks back I saw this image on Netflix. Judging by looks alone (I am unfamiliar with her work) this actress whoever she is might be a good new Scully. I wonder who could make a good new Mulder?

2017-04-11.png

Actually you should have kept going....24 Legacy turned out (IMO) to be a fantastic season. It was seat gripping the entire way through just like the old 24. I miss Kiefer, sure, but he was still an executive producer on it.
The new guys wife or girlfriend or whatever was more annoying than teri and kim bauer added together. No, actually she was more annoying than teri multipled with kim. So I couldn't bear to watch it for more than 10 minutes. The only way I'm going back is if you tell me they kill her off in the second episode at the latest, and there are no flashbacks with her either.

The new guys wife or girlfriend or whatever was more annoying than teri and kim bauer added together. No, actually she was more annoying than teri multipled with kim. So I couldn't bear to watch it for more than 10 minutes. The only way I'm going back is if you tell me they kill her off in the second episode at the latest, and there are no flashbacks with her either.

His wifes role plays a large part in the way the story plays out BUT her actual airtime is minimal. I think there was probably some cohesion issues with it being a totally new cast, after a couple of epsidoes they nailed it and it seemed much more authentic. I won't lie, I didn't necessarily like her either, but the main character grew on me to the point that I REALLLLLY like him by the end and he will be doing more seasons with the show it seems.

I have mixed feelings on this. I like me some X-Files, but the 10th season just didn't do it for me.

I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but I think I'd actually prefer a series reboot instead. New cast, fresh stories.

I usually hate reboots, especially of things I like, so I can't believe this is actually coming out of my mouth.

I can't either. David & Gillian ARE the X-files.

I went to S. Korea several times while in the Air Force. Dog really isn't bad at all. The trick is rice, a spicy sauce, lots of beer/soju, and not thinking about past pets.

I love the X Files, with the original Scully and Mulder. This is great news

I went to S. Korea several times while in the Air Force. Dog really isn't bad at all. The trick is rice, a spicy sauce, lots of beer/soju, and not thinking about past pets.

Did you mean to make that post in the other thread that referenced the Anti-Dog stickers in the Galaxy S8? :D

If we can get more episodes like "Mulder & Scully Meet the Were-Monster", I'm all in. :)

I absolutely hated the last round of X-Files. It didn't seem like the same show. The replacement of that non-stop, suspenseful tone with cheap comedic garb didn't work for me at all.

in the 2016 revival the standalone monster-of-the-week episodes were much better then the mythology ones...the alien mythology used to be so interesting and well written but has devolved into an incoherent mess

IMO that's been the case since circa season 5-6 already.

S10 had two good episodes (3 and 4) with the rest ranging from somewhat passable to plain trash. I would rate it as the worst season... Even worse than mostly awful seventh and ninth seasons. Better than the second film though, just because nothing really happens in it.

Best to Worst:
Season 2
Season 3
Season 4
Season 1
Season 8
Season 5
Season 6
Fight the Future
Season 7
Season 9
Season 10
I Want to Believe

The last X-Files season is still on my DVR unwatched except for the first episode. I am thinking of just deleting them cause I really have no interest in watching it. I thought 24 Legacy was OK, it had a similar feel to it as the original series, but it didn't seem like anything special.

The last X-Files season is still on my DVR unwatched except for the first episode. I am thinking of just deleting them cause I really have no interest in watching it. I thought 24 Legacy was OK, it had a similar feel to it as the original series, but it didn't seem like anything special.

Just watch the third episode, which is very funny and surprisingly good considering most of the comedy episodes in seasons 6-9 were absolutely terrible (anyone remember "X-Cops"?). And then the fourth one that's good traditional Monster of the Week. Skip the rest. The mythology episodes are just terrible.

As a fan of the show, I just didn't like Season 10 at all. Maybe I'm living off memories, but the new one just didn't have the feel of X-files. At times it felt like Duchovny and Anderson were just going through the motions. And I have to admit seeing them older also ruined a little for me.

As long as they stay away from the alien stuff and go more for the weird monsters or something. Those random monster, ghost, etc stories were what I enjoyed of X-Files. The aliens portion started getting a bit confusing.

Gillian is still lovely. I'd hit it!

(Although somebody has beaten me to it)

Duchovny, on the other hand, isn't doing so well as the years go ticking by. Clint Eastwood or Sean Connery he definitely ain't.

Agree. Keep Carter away from the scripts on get Darin Morgan and the like to write them. His episodes (and Vince Gilligan's) were some of the best.
"Humbug", "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose", "War of the Coprophages", "Jose Chung's From Outer Space"

Agreed.

Chris Carter wrecked many an episode by breaking the third wall somewhat when he decided to play with the series and change the personalities of Scully and Mulder. There are several episodes like this, but the most notable example is the episode Syzygy which I recall had me rolling my eyes HARD.

Sure. Fine. Whatever.

I liked the episodes that were on point and in character the best, and hated the ones where Chris Carter felt like playing with the universe and playing amateur comedian. It just broke the feel of the show, IMHO.

I really enjoyed the most recent X-Files series, and also the The X Files: I Want to Believe movie - which was like a superb quality and extended MotW episode, IMO. I'm really looking forward to new X-Files episodes.

in the 2016 revival the standalone monster-of-the-week episodes were much better then the mythology ones..

IMO that was true for a lot of the original series also. I also think the 2016 Were-monster episode is one of the best of the entire series.

Just watched The Fall with Gillian. Awesome, amazing show, if you haven't seen it yet, watch it!

As for this, I'm excited, but, as Zarathustra[H] said, reboot it. Though, not a true reboot, but, keep it in the same universe, with new agents, and they consult with Mulder and Scully every so often.

Just watched The Fall with Gillian. Awesome, amazing show, if you haven't seen it yet, watch it!

As for this, I'm excited, but, as Zarathustra[H] said, reboot it. Though, not a true reboot, but, keep it in the same universe, with new agents, and they consult with Mulder and Scully every so often.
they kinda wrote mulder and scully into a corner here i have not seen any of the 2016 series but I agree mulder and scully should be demoted from the leads to the support cast. Both of them look far too old...

Cinemax series with Gillian as lead, full penetration every episode (do some research, she'd be down). Scully becomes smoking (aka boning) man. Series ends abruptly with lots of gasps and hnnngs.

Cinemax series with Gillian as lead, full penetration every episode (do some research, she'd be down). Scully becomes smoking (aka boning) man. Series ends abruptly with lots of gasps and hnnngs.
she is too old for that... so is david... they are both sex fiends and have both done things like that...

They need to escape the Alien plot entirely or turn it into Men in Black the series... X-files bread and butter episodes were the monster of the week weird unsolvable cases episodes same with fringe even though all of those tied into the main plot...

I like that idea.

X-Files, the Next Generation :p

Back