The Woz: Computers Are Going To Take Over, No Question

HardOCP News

[H] News
Even Steve Wozniak thinks that computers are going to one day take over the world....and KILL US ALL.

Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak has said he wants Apple to take on Tesla in the car business, that he plans to buy the cheapest Apple Watch available when it goes on sale, and that he has recently resigned himself to the fact that computers will one day become the masters of humanity.

I think things too....does it make it newsworthy? His opinion outside of the business aspects of Apple is hardly worth anymore than anyone else opinion on future events.

At the rate we are going we will make ourselves extinct long before computers get the chance.

Sounds like a little backlash against the money grabbing 'gold' watch.

At the rate we are going we will make ourselves extinct long before computers get the chance.

^This^ 100x.
We are running the very real risk of setting progress back centuries if we don't solve tons of issues.
I think they are very much solvable, and solving them would usher a new age of prosperity in fact, but it would mean to an extent ending the era of influence of many in the monied power structure (I didn't say they are going to be broke, just not as controlling would need less corruption )
Many people in the US are so surprisingly isolated that can't even conceptualize human dependency on the environment, and the effects of destruction its going to have on us. Yes, forget the spotted owl, I mean us.
Many don't even understand that for a scientist telling you, listen so, and so species is in danger, in the end is not about that species, it about the canary in the coal mine, or indicator species.
I guess with our short lives we are expecting some fast shocking changes, our destruction might not be that, as a whole in the planet, it might be a slow decline, no doubt it started. Pockets of fast shocking change, along with an overall slow-relative-to-our-lives decline.
Did it rain in California yet? They a desert yet?

BTW I am no sure we will ever get to AI, we might have 'stupid' AI at some point that might kill us as joke, but I am not so sure about any human-like AI. Maybe if we make organic computers and such.. I am not sure silicon and hard materials are suitable. Wouldn't the decay, and imperfection be part of all that makes us 'Intelligent' , and can the materials we manipulate do more than simulate that?

Much like how the Diebold election machines can be poorly programmed and hacked, I worry about who is going to design or influence the rules for these AI overlords. Hopefully not some corrupt CEO or politician.

I find it much more likely that humanity and computers will simply merge, and that will become our next much more rapid stage of evolutionary development.

Humans as a species evolved with the ability to create and use tools, and its what defines us as a race really. We have never really been about organics, that's not what defined us.

Rather than evolve fangs, we evolved the brainpower to understand that natural materials can be shaped into stabbing and then throwing utensils to give us range. Unlike camels that evolved to conserve water and carry water and big fat reserves for long distance travel, we again simply evolved the brainpower to make foot coverings, clothing to protect us from the sun/elements, and fashioned animal bladders to hold water and dried meats for traversing large expanses and later even horses and other forms of locomotion.

So who gives a crap about organics? Organics is not the human way. Tool use is, and so we will continue that trend and find new and innovative ways to make those tools part of who we are, until slowly but surely organics won't really even be necessary at all.

We'll still be human, just reproducing and thinking in new ways.

Cylon__So_Say_We_All_by_ajiuo.gif

BTW, I highly recommend watching the Ghost in the Shell series. I honestly believe its the most plausible human evolutionary path, in which cyborization will first start with artificial limbs and eyes and hearts and the like to move on to memory chips and network connectivity built into our bodies, and those that don't simply won't be able to compete with those that do, pushing the market forward. And eventually, once we figure out how to get the software part of human consciousness hosted on artificial hardware, then organic bodies (or at least non-engineered standard human ones) really won't be necessary or desirable, since you can much more rapidly advance with more aesthetically pleasing, faster, stronger, and smarter artificial bodies.

And eventually, once we figure out how to get the software part of human consciousness hosted on artificial hardware, then organic bodies (or at least non-engineered standard human ones) really won't be necessary or desirable, since you can much more rapidly advance with more aesthetically pleasing, faster, stronger, and smarter artificial bodies.

So what you are saying is that we are much more likely to be killed by an evil cyborg than by an evil robot.

So what you are saying is that we are much more likely to be killed by an evil cyborg than by an evil robot.
Nah, that you will become borg, because resistance is futile! Except the borg will have emotional software just like everyone else, and their hive mind will be no different than the noise of the internet today.

There will surely be some people that refuse to get enhancements, or that simply can't afford them, and so you'll end up with two distinct classes of people. Naturals that are retarded, weak, and slow by comparison, and enhanced or whatever you want to call them. ;)

I think the enhanced people would take whatever resources they need, but otherwise leave the normals alone, kind of like we not only leave the Amish alone but help preserve their way of life with heavy subsidies.

Woz: computers are going to take over the world!

Woz, here, eat an Apple.

Woz: why?

Because you get paranoid when you're hungry.

*Woz eats Apple

Better?

Woz: better!

Back