The worst overclocking A64 3400+ ever...

juniormlc

Limp Gawd
I don't think I could have done much worse. It is a CO revision Clawhammer that runs 2345MHz at 1.7v and 2357MHz at 1.725v. This is on a v1.1 KV8 Pro with a Thermalright SLK-948U and a 92mm Panaflo (~60CFM). Memory in sig running the 166MHz divider and LDTx3 (640MHz). I was really hoping for 2.4GHz at a safe voltage. :(

By the way, I just listed the memory and LDT speeds so you guys wouldn't think they were holding me back...I run 2.3GHz (210HTT, memory 1:1, LDTx5) on a daily basis.

man... I have a better overclock on my 2500+ (2500+Mhz...) maybe we should have a few comparison benches ;)

QwertyJuan

That makes me glad I got the FX instead of waiting for the 3400+... Sorry about your luck :mad: I can get to [email protected], just need some better cooling to get it higher and run 2.4 constant instead of stock. Btw, you would probley know this what is the max safe voltage to run these 64s at?

I dunno, I might be close. My 3400+ runs out of steam between 2300 MHz and 2400 MHz. I can get 2300 MHz at default vcore, but 2400 MHz isn't Prime stable even at 1.7 vcore.

Something else must be wrong here.

I have a Newcastle 3400+ and I have it running at 2627. It loads windows all the way up to 2.8, but I just can't keep it stable. Is 2627 decent for a 3400+? I thought I would have been able to get more out of it....

You should have tried to get the CG Stepping Clawhammer. They overclock much better than the CO Steppings. Try the new DFI Lan Party S754 MoBo, I heard it can overclock like a mother.

Stock cooler and fan. My case is an Antec Lanboy, 1 case fan in back. Antec Trueblue 350 Watt PS.

What would be a good cooler that does not require me to remove the motherboard from the case?

This is a clawhammer CG 3400+. It runs fine at 2300 Mhz @ 1.50 vcore, but 2400 Mhz is a no go up to 1.7 vcore. Motherboard is a KV8 Pro v1.1. Memory is set to DDR333 (4:5 divider). HTT is at 4x.

It's either cooling or some other part of my setup holding me back. I wonder if HTTx3 would help?

QwertyJuan said:
I know... I was j/k... :)

QwertyJuan

P.S. I won't stomp my dual 2800+MP's @ 2350Mhz though... :p

The A64 at 2.3ghz+ will EASILY stomp the snot out of that dually in GAMES.... :D

blvdKing said:
What would be a good cooler that does not require me to remove the motherboard from the case?

This is a clawhammer CG 3400+. It runs fine at 2300 Mhz @ 1.50 vcore, but 2400 Mhz is a no go up to 1.7 vcore. Motherboard is a KV8 Pro v1.1. Memory is set to DDR333 (4:5 divider). HTT is at 4x.

It's either cooling or some other part of my setup holding me back. I wonder if HTTx3 would help?

I run my HTT at 4x all the way to 250fsb, but your mobo may not be as happy with that. Try 3x and see...very little difference (if any) in actual speeds, games, etc.

The stock cooler with a faster fan is pretty decent.

The CO steppings don't seem to be going as high as the CG's like mine, you may just be at your limit. My CG does 2.5 at only 1.6v but if I go up it starts getting problematic at only 2515, it is very picky once I go over 2.5ghz...so I am happy. :p

QwertyJuan said:
LOL

My server doesn't play games.... :)

QJ

:D I was just playing around, I would love to have a dually for a second rig...I used to have a dual Duron 1.1ghz rig running at 1300x2, that was a sweet game SERVER...

Still a damn good chip if you ask me. The difference between2.357 and 2.4 is mostly numeric. The rest of the components make up a large part of how fast your rig is. I am still pretty envious of what you got. Your machine is still no slouch whether it oc's great or not...

Sc0rched said:
Btw, you would probley know this what is the max safe voltage to run these 64s at?
I've heard 1.7v with air cooling.
Lee Enfield said:
You should have tried to get the CG Stepping Clawhammer.
I sent emails to about 5 different websites asking if they would guarantee me a CG revision. I even offered an extra $20 for their troubles, but no luck. :(
blvdKing said:
My friend really likes this one: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-106-038&depa=1 . The reviews look good to. You might also want to throw an intake fan into your case.
operaman said:
Still a damn good chip if you ask me. The difference between2.357 and 2.4 is mostly numeric. The rest of the components make up a large part of how fast your rig is. I am still pretty envious of what you got. Your machine is still no slouch whether it oc's great or not...
I know. :) I think my Athlon XP 1700+ DLTC3 spoiled me. 2.45GHz on air! :eek:

Thanks, I have a spare fan to put up front. I took it out to reduce noise but that doesn't seem to matter anymore.

You sit there and complain about my signing my name and then half of you have 15 lines of specs per post... sheeesh....

QJ

operaman said:

operaman, I am envious of the friggin emachines in your sig, I want one too!!!!

juniormlc said:
I've heard 1.7v with air cooling.

I sent emails to about 5 different websites asking if they would guarantee me a CG revision. I even offered an extra $20 for their troubles, but no luck. :(

My friend really likes this one: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-106-038&depa=1 . The reviews look good to. You might also want to throw an intake fan into your case.

I know. :) I think my Athlon XP 1700+ DLTC3 spoiled me. 2.45GHz on air! :eek:

What does on air mean?

Truly sorry mate. Come by the shop tomorrow and I'll hook you up with a 6800gt for your trouble...

Jod :)

digiram said:
operaman, I am envious of the friggin emachines in your sig, I want one too!!!!

Thanks man :D It is my DTR when I am on the road singing opera (for real). So it is great and not that bad to tote around actually. I would check out the new m6811's and others. They are great machines. And while there are definitely machines that can whoop the heck out of my m6805 it is plenty fast for what I will need over the next couple of years.

Back