The Worst Connection Ever

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by ManCannon, Jul 7, 2005.

1. ManCannon

ManCannon 2[H]4U

A year and a half ago now, my backwoods nowhere town got DSL. And aside from the price, everything was good. Dished out the $59.99 a month for a 512/128 connection, and while the price was beyond ridiculous, it was a small price to pay to finally enjoy online gaming, incredible surfing speeds, and the occasionally foray into some not so legal p2p applications.

I got heavily into my first online game ever, Unreal Tournament 2004, specifically a mod called Carball, a mod I still play to this day. Unfortunately I can no longer play this mod, or any other game I own online whenever I feel like, because my connection's has become progressively worse since I got it.

It started slow, the pings gradually got higher and I'd get lag spikes more often, but it was still fine, but it's just went downhill from there. I started to notice that the connection would get worse at certain times of the day, until it got to the point that games were unplayable between the hours of 3pm and 11pm. Pings would widly fluctuate, and would routinely reach upwards of 300. Literally one second my ping would be 80, the next it would be 350. I called tech support and explained the situation, and they said they hadn't had any complaints and didn't know what could be done.

Of course at that point I assumed it was my hardware, but after trying some things and getting no change, I started to think about it. If it was my hardware, why would be connection be rock solid during certain times of the day, and incredibly bad at other times? I started to think that perhaps the reason it started to get bad at 3-11 everyday is because that's when most people get home from work or school. So now that the summer is here, I'm starting to notice my connection take dives more often, I woke up and wanted to play at 11am today, and I couldn't because I was pinging around 250. Sure I could have, but it's not very fun when you can hardly move straight and everyone else is teleporting all over the place. I assume the reason for this is now that kids are out of school they're using the internet more often.

But why is this? I was told that a DSL connection wasn't supposed to be affected by more people ont he network, yet here I am, with a connection that seems to get worse when more people would be online. After around midnight it seems to be alright, and if I play between say 2 and 5am the connection is absolutely perfect.

My questions to you are what exactly do you think is going on, what should I ask my ISP, and more importantly what if anything can be done to correct this? I mean, it just really sucks paying $60 a month for a connection and not being able to play online whenever I want to. This is the only DSL provider out here, and it would be so hard for me to give up the things I've come to enjoy, but it's also hard to justify spending so much a month for a connection that only works right half of the time.

2. sandmanx

sandmanx [H]ardForum Junkie

It sounds like they are oversubscribed for the amount of bandwidth they have. It's true that DSL doesn't 'share' like cable, but it all still has to share the main pipes.

If they are a little shit dick company, you're probably screwed. My guess is that they are aware of it, and don't want to upgrade to more bandwidth, as it's super expensive for them to do in the middle of nowhere, and whatever line(s) they currently have is(are) fully tapped out. You can try and ask them what their main pipes to the Internet are, but I doubt they will tell you. You can also ask what percent usage they have on those same pipes. Usually anything above ~70% for substained periods is considered bad for any ISP worth a damn.

3. ManCannon

ManCannon 2[H]4U

I was afraid that was what the answer would be :(. It's made all the more frustrating by the fact the people three towns over get faster and more reliable broadband at half the cost. Hopefully they'll come my way someday.

4. ScreamingBroccoli

ScreamingBroccoli 2[H]4U

I feel you pain man, I'm getting DSL next week from my ghetto phone company. My neighbor has it and it's pretty good, but they aren't power users like I'm gonna be lol. I can't wait, hopefully I won't run into any problems, seeing that I already bought all the cat5e cable I need and a router... It pisses me off that I'm paying too much for it, but its better than the extra phoneline and Gay-O-L. If I only lived a mile down the road I could get 10mbs cable for $30! Oh well...

5. Stu55

Stu55 [H]ard|Gawd

Yeah, $60 a month is a pretty penny, but getting 300 ping, thats not cool. I am waiting for DSL, to come out to where I live, thinking about getting satelite, but that is crazy expensive, like $375 install and $60 a month 1 year contract, $45 for 2 year contract, etc, etc.

6. Blitzrommel

Blitzrommel 2[H]4U

Sorry to hear that bro.

A few years ago, the situation was similar for me. Although I'm in the 3rd largest city in the US, it took DSL a while to hit my neighborhood. I was only able to get 160k SDSL back in '99 for $50 (now I can only get IDSL, heh) but in 2001 or so, I was able to get Comcast which was hella faster.

So I feel your pain.

7. Darkstar850

Darkstar850 [H]ard|Gawd

I agree that this sounds like the problem. Unfortunately most ISPs wont guarantee speeds or bandwidth on residential products, so you may be SOL. Sorry :(

8. ManCannon

ManCannon 2[H]4U

I apologize for bumping such an old thread but I'm about to email my ISP because I'm fed up with my connection and I've received little help the few times I've called. It's got to the point now where this is either going to get resolved now or I'm going back to dial-up. As most of you know, someone has to be really fed up to contemplate subjecting themselves to the unspeakable horror that is dial-up :p. I just wanted to show you guys the email and ask if there's anything else I should include or add. Here it is:

"Hello, I have been a customer since your DSL service was introduced in my area, and over the past 6 months my connection has been on a steady decline. I've had a few problems with the internet going out here and there, and while that can be annoying it doesn't happen often enough to be a major concern.

My big problem has to do with how my connection performs while gaming online. As anyone who plays games online knows, having a stable connection is a must for an enjoyable experience. When I first signed on as a customer that's exactly what I had, a stable connection and I was very satisfied. Unfortunately lately my connection has only been solid during certain hours and that's been severely limiting the time I can play.

Let me explain exactly what happens. I'm sure you guys know what a ping is so I won't bother you explaining that, but when we first got DSL here if I pinged 60 to a server, I would almost always ping 60 to that server. The connection would always be stable and I would hardly receive any lag. Nowadays though, that is not the case. Lately if I try to play between the hours of 12pm and 11pm, my connection is spotty at best. One second I will be pinging 60 to the aforementioned server like I used to, the next I will be pinging 180. The ping varies wildly, going as low as 50, to as high as 400 or so. This renders any attempt at gaming online pointless, as such conditions delay every movement you make. These problems aren't really as noticeable while surfing the web, athough it sometimes slows down a fair bit.

Now I'm sure you're thinking there's a problem on my end, that's always the first thing someone from tech support thinks, but I can assure you that's not the case. I've tried everything I can think of. This includes power cycling everything, my computer, my modem, and my router, changing network cards and network card drivers, trying different ip settings, changing modems, trying with and without router, changing my routers firmware, trying different computers, trying different OS's, having phone techs come out and test our lines, and I'm sure there's a few things I'm forgetting. I've tried pretty much everything within reason and there has been absolutely no change.

The only conclusion I can come to is that there is a problem with the connection itself. I've asked about my problem on a hardforum.com and the general consensus there was that my ISP was oversubscribed for the amount of bandwidth you have. I really hope that's not the case and that something can be done to rectify this situation.

I am open to any and all suggestions. My name is Jonah Masse and my phone number is 234-xxxx. I apologize for the length of this email but I wanted to be thorough."

Also, I should note that I'm paying for the "business" speed class since it's only 15$ more for twice the downstream. Someone mentioned that they make no guarantees on residential speeds but since I'm one speed class above "Home" do you think perhaps my connection should be guaranteed?

I ran a "tracert" on a server I frequent, I was contemplating showing them the results from when the connection is stable compared to when it's pulling it's shit. Do you think that would be a good idea?

9. r00k

r00k 2[H]4U

I think for good effect you should add that you feel there is no need to pay such a ridiculous price for such a limited amount of bandwidth if your primary reason for having such a service is for entertainment, when you cannot even use it effectively for that purpose.